PDA

View Full Version : "OATS" Segmented Walnut/Maple HF

George Guadiane
09-17-2007, 3:18 PM
This is another of the triangle stave segmented turnings I am working on. The veneer is maple and walnut.
Sanded this one with olive oil before applying the water based poly finish. The colors brightened up quite a bit. Testing suggests the finish will hold and last!

Diameter: 6 inches
Height: 4 5/8 inches
Finish: Water Based Poly
As Always, Questions, Comments and Critique Welcome

Ernie Nyvall
09-17-2007, 3:33 PM
It's a very nice piece George... beautifully done, but I'm hung up on the collar a bit. The woods go together very nice.

TYLER WOOD
09-17-2007, 3:53 PM
I agree about the collar, it attracts too much attention to itself, rather tan the entire piece. My eyes just kept jumping to the collar. But overall a nice piece. The finish is pristine!

Jim Becker
09-17-2007, 4:50 PM
VERY interesting!

Yea, the collar...I'd prefer black, personally. The spalted material is too busy and takes away from the wonderful angled segmentation. IMHO, of course!

Mike A. Smith
09-17-2007, 11:03 PM
I love it George! And I'm gonna go against the flow on the collar, I think the reason it draws so much attention is that it's front and center in the pics. I'll bet it blends much better in person.

George, did you construct a mostly solid piece and hollow, or did you shape the interior of the pieces prior to construction?

Pat Doble
09-17-2007, 11:22 PM
I'm with Mike. I really like how the collar ties in the little bit of maple veneer. Finish looks fantastic.

mike fuson
09-18-2007, 12:39 AM
George, this piece proves that in segmenting that we are only hindered by our own mind, as many segmented pieces that I have done I have never thought about glueing up one like this so I guess that means I was hindered by my own mind;) . Your joinery looks excellent along with the grain orientation, I think its an all around nice piece. Excellent work.

By the way the collar doesn't bother me a bit.

joe greiner
09-18-2007, 6:20 AM
Nice. Very nice. I especially like the layers of veneer between the major staves for the added finesse. I agree about the collar being too busy. Similar wood, but un-spalted, would look better to me.

I reckon it wouldn't be too bright to glue up solid. Makes more sense to pre-cut where possible, unless it makes assembly difficult. Izzat how ya diddit?

Joe

Keith Outten
09-18-2007, 8:09 AM
George,

I think the collar is a nice touch and provides another dimension to a very detailed piece.

Nice work.

Bernie Weishapl
09-18-2007, 8:39 AM
George it is a beautiful piece. I really like the collar on it.

Steve Schlumpf
09-18-2007, 8:54 AM
Very interesting piece George! Nice joinery, love the wood color combination and finish! Seriously nice work!

Frank Kobilsek
09-18-2007, 9:24 AM
George

Everybody yacking about the collar but what caught my eye was 'Olive Oil'. I'm surprized it would dry enough for a waterbased finish to stick. You are going to have to discuss this finishing idea further.

Oh by the way, Very nice piece.

Frank

Dennis Peacock
09-18-2007, 9:49 AM
Beautiful piece George and I like the wood choice for the collar, but I would have liked it better with a seemingly slightly thinner rim of the collar. It's beautiful to me overall and a very nice turning. :D

George Guadiane
09-18-2007, 11:52 AM
George

Everybody yacking about the collar but what caught my eye was 'Olive Oil'. I'm surprized it would dry enough for a waterbased finish to stick. You are going to have to discuss this finishing idea further.

Oh by the way, Very nice piece.

Frank
Hi Frank,
I try stuff without thinking and deal with the consequences later... This was such a "discovery": I just put water based poly over a piece that I had JUST finished oil sanding, just to "see what would happen," and it dried, sealing in the oil. Almost a year later, it still looks GREAT.
Inadvertently, I bought some oil based sanding sealer, tried the same thing (before I realized it was oil based) and completely messed the piece up. :eek: The stuff wouldn't dry, wouldn't wash off with acetone, DNA or anything I had on hand... I finally got it under control, and am now using that sanding sealer for other things (a paper weight).
I have also done this with mineral oil and gotten the same results. Sands fine, stays put. I don't know why, I don't know if it will last for 50 years or more, but it works today, and has continued to look good for some time.
When I get to 400, I stop adding oil and just sand. Sometimes I clean the discs with DNA and spin off the excess before sanding again. Same thing with 600. I think it reduces the oil content enough on the surface, between the sanding and the heat from sanding - that is my best GUESS.
Bottom line... As a kid, I was the drummer and lead singer in a rock n roll band. If I had know, what I was later told, that you can't sing and drum at the same time, I would never have tried. I DO make my biggest messtakes:D this way, but also some of my best "discoveries."

Malcolm Tibbetts
09-18-2007, 11:54 AM
George, just as Frank, the first thing that caught my attention was the use of olive oil as a finish, especially under a water-based finished. It will be interesting to see how it performs. Nice piece. I could go either way on the collar.

George Guadiane
09-18-2007, 12:02 PM
George, this piece proves that in segmenting that we are only hindered by our own mind, as many segmented pieces that I have done I have never thought about glueing up one like this so I guess that means I was hindered by my own mind;) . Your joinery looks excellent along with the grain orientation, I think its an all around nice piece. Excellent work.

By the way the collar doesn't bother me a bit.
Mike,
As I say in my demonstrations, this was an accident. I had cut the corners off of a couple of square blanks, just to cut down the roughing time and mess...
When I picked up the "scraps," several of them happened to fall into this kind of pattern. I thought I MIGHT be able to form an open centered blank from this kind of triangle stave and pursued it.
I have been trying the SOME of these ideas I keep coming up with for a little over a year now, and I keep coming up with yet another twist. I will have to live to be 125, and stop thinking some time soon in order to get the ideas turned.:eek:
As for your "hindered" mind, I've seen some of your work and know better.
Actually, the collar bothers ME a little, I "saved" this after blowing off the original collar design, actually a rim, continued with the original blank material.
The lip may be a little wide, but I'm done with it... Time to do something else. I learned what I could from this one.

George Guadiane
09-18-2007, 12:11 PM
I love it George! And I'm gonna go against the flow on the collar, I think the reason it draws so much attention is that it's front and center in the pics. I'll bet it blends much better in person.

George, did you construct a mostly solid piece and hollow, or did you shape the interior of the pieces prior to construction?
Thanks Mike,
I build the blanks from 45/45/90 triangle staves, glue them all up at once with hose clamps. The next major step is making a tenon at the top. I hollow the inside from the bottom, fit the foot/bottom tenon and hollow through the top... If/when I use a collar, a usually apply it after those steps.

George Guadiane
09-18-2007, 12:14 PM
I'm with Mike. I really like how the collar ties in the little bit of maple veneer. Finish looks fantastic.
THANK YOU!!!! I know it's OBSCURE, but that is exactly what I was intending to do. I just thought that "plain" maple would attract too much attention for being different and that curly might draw too much from the piece.
In any event, I made a decision, went with it!

George Guadiane
09-18-2007, 12:18 PM
Nice. Very nice. I especially like the layers of veneer between the major staves for the added finesse. I agree about the collar being too busy. Similar wood, but un-spalted, would look better to me.

I reckon it wouldn't be too bright to glue up solid. Makes more sense to pre-cut where possible, unless it makes assembly difficult. Izzat how ya diddit?

Joe
You raise an interesting question...
I COULD bandsaw out some of the staves if I knew what shape I would make, might save some time and mess...
For NOW, I am still experimenting with the best way to best create the illusion of motion with the outline/form, so I haven't settled on any one yet to try your idea (but it goes in the box):D.