PDA

View Full Version : A new lathe?

David Klug
01-31-2004, 11:11 PM
I was reading about a new lathe, at least to me. If I understand the article correctly the motor operates on magnets. You check it out for yourself here, http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathes/DVR/Nova%20_DVR.htm. Let me know what you think.

DK

Jim Becker
01-31-2004, 11:37 PM
Dave, the DVR has been out for a couple of years now and folks who own them largely like it. Yes, the motor isn't like anything else and seems to work well. It does have a bit of a whine, but I suspect one can get used to it. The only things I don't like about it are the size of the controls (too small for some folk's fingers), the speed control not being an analog knob which is more intuitive and the way the speed control "resets" to a somewhat high speed when all power is removed from the machine. (They may have changed that since I took a spin on one back in 2002)

Other than that, it's a capable machine and does the popular NOVA lathe one better. If you do go for it, I'd suggest you opt to build a big, heavy base/bench for it rather than using the available sheet metal stand. The more weight, the better, especially if you can keep it down low.