PDA

View Full Version : Wish me Luck

TYLER WOOD
09-17-2007, 10:37 AM
My county fair is comming up this weekend. I had not really planned to turn anything in, as I don't have any of my really good pieces in hand (gifts). Only piece I have in hand worthy of that is a cottonwood burl winged bowl (first winged bowl by the way), but it will not be finished for a few weeks (lots and lts of hand sanding off the lathe).

But SWMBO demanded I put something in, don't ask why I couln't tell you.

So I go to my mentor's shop and tell him my delima.

My lead: "I have 3 1/2 days to turn and finish a show piece for the fair, what should I do?"

His response: "It's time for you to learn hollow forms."

My respone: "I have 3 1/2 days!! You want me to learn start and finish a hf in 3 1/2 days??

His reponse: "Yup!!! Let's get started."

So I roughed out the outside of the piece yesterday. I think the wood is apricot. It had checked a lot, so we had to fill the splits with fiberglass resin and coffee grounds. Had to let the resin cure, so tonight I hollow out the inside, sand, and hopefully will apply the first coat of finish. I will only be able to do a varnish or shellac type finish as oil and buffing won't fit in the time schedule. Well here goes nothin'!!!!

Please wish me luck on this, as I CAN'T destroy this piece or SWMBO will be really upset.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Good luck Tyler! I hate deadlines when it comes to turning. Seems like that's when the worst that can happen does.....to me anyway!

Paul Engle
09-17-2007, 1:05 PM
Good luck Tyler, altho under preasure is one way to hone skills, causing us to focus that much more, " adversity is the mother of invention" type of thing.If your mentor thinks it can be done you are off to a good start I'd say.:D From what I have seen of your work , you will do the craft proud.Dont forget to post some pics of it.

Mike A. Smith
09-17-2007, 10:57 PM
Good luck Tyler! We'll need pics of the piece and the ribbon!

Bernie Weishapl
09-18-2007, 8:43 AM
Good luck Tyler. You will do fine.

Steve Schlumpf
09-18-2007, 8:50 AM
Best of luck to you on the show! Looking forward to seeing the finished piece!

Dennis Peacock
09-18-2007, 9:51 AM
You GO Tyler!!!!!!

Git-R'-Done!!!!!!

Gary Garmar
09-18-2007, 3:25 PM
Soooo, hows it coming Tyler? Pics would help.

TYLER WOOD
09-18-2007, 3:37 PM
all readers can see the piece by going and looking at my first hf post. It turned out nice, still need to finish the finish. Final pics will have to wait a while as the piece will be on the road for a while. Thanks for the well wishes, I'll need it!!!

Allen Neighbors
09-18-2007, 11:21 PM
Good go, Tyler! Passing tests is fun, huh?!! I want to see the Ribbon with it when you get it back.