PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
09-17-2007, 10:01 AM
Good Morning....
17 Sep 2007

It's been very nice weather here lately and has given me a powerful handerin' for a few day off from the daily grind. But you know, I really don't mind the day job...I'm still employeed and the layoffs have officially ended. So I guess we can say that the stress level has been reduced, but I lost some good coworkers due to the layoffs. Still doesn't make it any easier.

Made some progress on the kitchen table project last week and I will be making progress on it this week as well. Found out the customer recently purchased unfinished chairs to go around her new table and wants me to finish them the same as her table. I guess I can stand to charge her a little more money for finishing her chairs for her. ;)

The family and I did a different type of woodworking last week as well. We split and stacked firewood for the winter. :D
Now, we don't cut down living/standing trees for our firewood. What we do is search out someone that has trees down or a building site with trees down and cut firewood from there. Every once in a while it yeilds some very nice turning stock for bowls and such. Any way, we should be good for the winter as we have about 2 very full chords of wood stacked, but since we will need more wood next year, I like cutting firewood in the winter months here since it's nice weather, chilly to cold temps and I use those times to take the family out wood cutting with me, packing a picnic lunch, and use that time to show my kids how a family can work together to get a lot done very quickly all the while having a good time and sharing family time in the middle of nowhere. :)

Besides the kitchen table project, I'm also working on making to small custom designed wine storage cabinets, if you will, for a local customer. I'm prefinishing everything before assembly and what a chore that is.!!!!

Saturday was working at the day job and Sunday was bass playing at church and if anyone has any good DVD's for Jazz Bass info since I'm teaching myself about Jazz/Fusion bass genre of music as I love good Jazz....I'd love to hear it from you on what I should buy in order to have some reference material to read / watch for learning to be a good Jazz bass player.

So what did YOU do this weekened????

Best of weeks to you all..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt Meiser
09-17-2007, 10:19 AM
We went camping in northeast Indiana with some freinds. It was a VERY cold weekend--I don't know how cold it got where we were, but at the Toledo Airport which is about 1-1/2 hours east of there it got down to 35. And we have a popup! It was still a good time.

While we were away the painter came and worked on our bathroom. She has about 1/2 of the "ragged off" coat done--the two biggest walls. She will be coming again next weekend and will hopefully finish since the rest of the walls have a lot less exposed surface area. I got the light fixture, mirror, some hooks, and other hardware installed on the completed walls when we got home.

Dale Osowski
09-17-2007, 10:25 AM
I completed a mantel carving and sharpened a couple plane irons. Over the next 10 months my night and weekends will be spent building furniture for the 2008 Fine Furnishings Show in Milwaukee. I was set to exhibit this year but I pulled out because I just don't have enough budget for media and completion of my website, plus I would like to have a few more pieces to exhibit. It felt good to get something completed this weekend though.

Dale

Ken Fitzgerald
09-17-2007, 10:35 AM
Saturday.....I cut in the corners, windows and outlets for the finish coat on the primed area in my shop. Then my parts arrived and I had to work. Sunday, I got the areas that are primed in my shop, painted with the finish coat. It's amazing how much brighter it is in there!

D.McDonnel "Mac"
09-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Good/Busy weekend for me. I took Friday off as it has been absolutely gorgeous weather this last week (lows in the high 40's and high's about 70). I threw open the doors to the shop and let some of that weather just blow through the shop.

I had a big list of jobs to finish Friday anticipating goinig to Indyfest on Saturday. Worked on 5 Shaker hanging shelves and a hanging mirror that needed completion as well as 3 Shake side tables. I only got the shelves done on Friday and with "guidence" from SWMBO I worked on the side tables on Saturday as well as spend time with SWMBO Jr working on some carving she has been messing with recently. Time got away from me on Saturday such that I didn't make it to the Indyfest (first I missed). Oh well there's always next year. Anyway there wasn't a planing contest to be won this year so half the fun was already gone! I'm sure fun was had by all but I had a good time with the wife and daughter on a gorgeous day so I'm not complaining. The side tables are all sanded and ready for finishing. Two are destined to be night stands for the wife and I and the third is going into the nursery for #1 grandchild due on Jan 1st.

Next up is finishing the last bit of work on a blanket chest for a class I'm teaching in October.

Have a good week,

Mac

Jim Becker
09-17-2007, 11:29 AM
It was a nice weekend; some shop time finishing up the finish on my cherry vanities for the new master bath (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=56649&page=5); habachi Japanese for family dinner out on Saturday and a 3 hour long Bollywood flick for family movie on Sunday. Back to work this week, but back on vacation next week..."use it or lose it" time once again! What a shame...I'll have to spend yet another week in the shop. :)

Karl Laustrup
09-17-2007, 12:59 PM
Howdy Dennis. Glad you made it through the cut backs.

I spent some time in the shop Saturday but, it was one step forward two steps back. The duct work I had in place for the CMS & RAS came down. Guess I didn't have it supported good enough, so I have to rework that now.

I did get to work some more on a shelf I'm doing for the grand-daughters room. It's changed so many times since inception that I'm just hoping to get it done.

A little more time in the shop Sunday, but most of the day was watching the "Pack" dismantle the Giants, Tiger cruising to another victory and Clint Bowyer winning the race in NH.

All around good weekend. Got some golf planned for this week as temps are going to be in the 70's and 80's. May be the last hurrah for the year.

Y'all take care now.

Karl

Tyler Howell
09-17-2007, 1:10 PM
Friday caught the new cowboy flick "3:10 to Yuma"
A lot of action and an OK story line. I'd wait till it comes out on DVD.

Recovered from a week of travel on Saturday. Did get a few projects done.
Went sailing with Dr. Daughter and some friends on a wide spot in the Mississippi River called Lake Pepin.:cool:
Great winds and food could only ask for a little more color in the leaves.;)

Have a safe week.

Kirk Poore
09-17-2007, 3:19 PM
Saturday I picked up a cord and a half of firewood and stacked it in my back yard. $165 + gas, which I think is a decent price. And I got useful work out of my kids.:)

Sunday I stripped down the stand for my Delta 24" scrollsaw (late '30s/early 40's vintage, I think) and primed and painted it. Still a little touch-up to go. Next will be to tackle the saw itself.

Sunday afternoon I visited a local mill and bought 230 bdft of 6/4 sycamore and 40 bdft of 8/4 oak, all for $1.25 a foot. So I'm set on raw materials for a year or so now.:)

Kirk

Jim Kountz
09-17-2007, 4:07 PM
I spent most of my time here on the forums nursing a bad cold. Better day today and should be good as new by tomorrow I hope!

Joe Mioux
09-17-2007, 4:11 PM
Pretty much worked all weekend... oh the life of a small business owner. ;)

Larry Fox
09-17-2007, 4:38 PM
Finished a dresser on Friday night. Built a tapering jig and worked on a small side-table yesterday. Saturday was spent mostly with the kids and relaxing.