PDA

View Full Version : Power planer... Rustic blades

Jamie Baalmann
09-16-2007, 11:54 PM
Does anyone know where I can buy the rustic blades for a power planer, or where I can take them to get them ground. All I need is a simple 1/8 " curve but I have no way to do it myself. Oh the tool is the cheapo GMC they use three blades. Believe it uses the same blades as the Bosch.

Chris Rosenberger
09-17-2007, 12:02 AM
The only planer I have seen them for was a Festool.

Bob Hallowell
09-17-2007, 8:20 AM
Depends on how much you need to do, but it is easy to grind a radius on a handplane and go to town.

Bob

Scott Whiting
09-17-2007, 9:33 AM
Virutex makes knives that will, just like Festool, only fit in their planer.

Jamie Baalmann
09-17-2007, 6:49 PM
Thats kind of what I was afraid of. I knew that Virutex and Festool had them I was hoping someone had heard where I could get some of the of the more common brands. I'm sure a machinist would charge more than I would like to pay to have them ground or made too. Guess I need to save up and buy a Festool and convince this homeowner of just distressing.

Rick Lizek
09-17-2007, 7:32 PM
Your local sharpening shop should be able to do that. We have a Makita and had the blades modified with an 1/8" curve to simulate an adze type cut. Not really that expensive and works quite nice. Can be done on any brand hand power planer.

Dale Osowski
09-17-2007, 7:34 PM
You could also use a drawknife. I made this one for carving rustic mantels.

Dale

Scott Whiting
09-18-2007, 9:29 AM
Your local sharpening shop should be able to do that. We have a Makita and had the blades modified with an 1/8" curve to simulate an adze type cut. Not really that expensive and works quite nice. Can be done on any brand hand power planer.
Unfortunately it can't. Most of the newer planers have gone to a thin two sided knife that looks like a small Tersa knife. You can even go to HD and pick up an adapter to convert the old Makitas and, I think, the DeWalts to the indexable knives. If you have an older style planer and can find a non carbide tipped set of knives for it you can freehand grind anything you want on a vertical belt sander.