PDA

View Full Version : Festool MFT

Greg Carr
09-16-2007, 9:58 PM
Does anyone use a Festool MFT without having any other Festool tools? I am considering one of these for use as an assembly table in my small garage workshop. Would the accessories not included with the basic unit serve any purpose without a Festool saw or router? It appears to be a heavy duty and stable. I also like the fact that the legs will fold up for storage.

Richard Link
09-17-2007, 12:18 AM
Please take the following comments with a grain of salt since I don't own an MFT. I have, however, spent quite a bit of time sniffing them out at several local woodworking stores. I do own several Festool tools and am planning on getting an MFT at some point.

As I understand it, the MFT is actually a really nice tool when combined with festool tools like their routers and saws. Its also not a bad workbench alternative given the large variety of clamping options combined with sturdiness but portability. On the other hand, both MFTs are small and extremely expensive optiosn for a small assembly table, if you are just looking for a flat surface to work on.

I would say go for it if (1) you are strongly considering buying a festool plunge saw or guided router in the future or (2) if you have extra cash and want a table for assembly of complicated small parts that require individual clamping. If you are looking for a sturdy flat table to assemble on, I would think there have got to be equivalent and much cheaper options out there (not to mention the option of building an equivalent sized torsion box assembly table on the cheap).

Rick

Dan Clark
09-17-2007, 12:23 AM
Greg,I have one that I use with several Festools. I use mine all the time as a general work bench, glue up/clamping bench, and sanding bench. That said, it is a core piece of the Festool system. It is best suited to work with Festool tools. You may find less expensive alternatives that work as well with non-Festools.Regards,Dan.

Michael Schwartz
09-17-2007, 2:03 AM
You can make a great work table from a sheet of plywood and a few 2x4's.

The one plus I will point out about the MFT is is a good solution for a portable work table to be taken to jobsites. However I feel you could build something in a few hours that would do the same thing for alot less.

I would hold off on an MFT unless you have plans to invest in the other fesstool products that go with it.

Jim Becker
09-17-2007, 9:58 AM
The MFT is an absolutely wonderfully built product and certainly would work well for your need. But you'll be paying for a lot of things that you will not be using if you don't have the Festool tools or adapted non-Festool machinery. My opinion is that you can probably build something more appropriate for your stated need for a lot less money. But maybe you chould consider an MFT, TS and CT combo...you get what you want plus a lot more! (At a larger initial investment, of course...)

Bob Marino
09-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Greg,

I sell these things and agree with the above comments - great table/tool if you are going to use it along with other Festool tools, but there are cheaper/better alternatives if you are not going to purchase the tools.

Bob

John Stevens
09-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Would the accessories not included with the basic unit serve any purpose without a Festool saw or router? It appears to be a heavy duty and stable. I also like the fact that the legs will fold up for storage.

Hi, Greg. I own a couple of MFTs, and although I also own the Festool saws and routers, I often use the MFTs when assembling and finishing furniture. (After all, there's only so much cutting and machining you need to do :) )

Not sure which accessories you're referring to, but the various Festool clamps are very handy if you're going to be using the MFT for assembly and glue-ups.

Compared to other devices like the "Workmate" and such, the MFT is stronger and works better, in my experience. The MFT is very stable, and one of its feet is adjustable so it can be made to sit level without rocking. The extrusions, legs and hardware are built to last. The top itself is made of MFT, but if you treat it with the care you'd use for any workbench or tool, you'll have no problems. If the top gets gnarly, you can flip it over. You can also use the old one as a template to make a new one, or you can buy a new one to replace it.

Here's a link that explains lots of uses for the MFT in making furniture:

http://www.festoolusa.com/Web_files/Getting_the_most_from_the_MFT_multifunction_table. pdf

Much of the article discusses the MFT in conjunction with the Festool saw and router, but there are also lots of good ideas for using the MFT as an assembly table.

As you may know, Kreg just came out with a table that can be used for similar tasks:

http://www.kregtool.com/products/pht/product.php?PRODUCT_ID=84

I've seen the Kreg unit but never used it. I only mention it as an alternative in case you weren't aware of it. Depending on your intended uses, you may find the Kreg suits your needs better than the MFT, or vice versa. Of course, the Kreg isn't made for use with the Festool saw and router...and even though you think you're not interested in them, you may find that if you use the MFT, you'll begin to see how the other Festool tools can make your woodworking tasks easier and more accurate.

You'll probably see quite a few people post replies that say you can build something like the MFT or Kreg table yourself. Of course you can. However, do you want to spend your limited time making shop equipment, or do you want to spend some money to buy the equipment so you can make furniture? Your choice, of course.

BTW, I have no affiliation with Festool, other than as a purchaser and user.

Regards,

John

Mike Heaney
09-17-2007, 12:13 PM
I would reiterate about all the good things mentioned, and the comments about it probably not being worth the investment without the tool(s) too.

One other thing, I have occasionally used my MFT for some final adjustment work with handtools- plane or chisel. In my experience it is NOT good for this type of job. The table is fine and strong enough, there are fifteen ways from Sunday to secure the workpiece to the table, BUT the table is MUCH lighter than a bench and I find it starts to move around the concrete floor when doing this type of work. So, my two cents- A+ for using with Festool Tools, A+ for sanding and assembly, C- as a hand tool workbench

good luck in your hunt!

Mike

Ralph Okonieski
09-17-2007, 12:49 PM
I debated whether to purchase the MFT when buying some Festool tools. It is now the most used tool in my (hobby) shop. The area is very small and sometimes I have to collapse the legs to give me enough room for the task but I absolutely love it. I had problems clamping things flat such as edge jointing two or more boards. I also had a problem on my workbench with clamping things in general. For me, the MFT is terrific. I agree with Mike about it being "wobbly" at times. Have not seen the Kreg but it could be a reasonable alternative. If you have similar issues to those I stated, then it might be a good purchase.

Jim Kountz
09-17-2007, 4:16 PM
Good Lord I took one look at the price of this thing and ran away! I mean its a work table for petes sake. Personally enough is enough with the cost of the mighty "F" tools. Just my opinion and yes I have used some of them. For the price I wasnt impressed.
(boy am I gunna get burned for that comment I bet)
Waiting with fire proof suit on.

Jim Becker
09-17-2007, 4:35 PM
[quote=Jim Kountz;660347For the price I wasnt impressed.
([/quote]

Neither was I until I used one ;)...but again, it's not the right choice for the OP's original request, nonetheless, IMHO.

Gary Keedwell
09-17-2007, 4:39 PM
Good Lord I took one look at the price of this thing and ran away! I mean its a work table for petes sake. Personally enough is enough with the cost of the mighty "F" tools. Just my opinion and yes I have used some of them. For the price I wasnt impressed.
(boy am I gunna get burned for that comment I bet)
Waiting with fire proof suit on.
I also have a couple of Fe$tools but I have to draw a line in the sand.
Gary K.

Greg Carr
09-17-2007, 4:49 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. Everyone seems to be in agreement that the MFT is a good option to use along with Festool tools. I have looked the Kreg table, which costs about the same as the Festool. The Kreg table is smaller and does not fold for storage. I like the idea of having extrusions around the table. Seems I would be better off building something. Time to research and design something to fit my needs.

Greg

Jim Kountz
09-17-2007, 4:55 PM
Neither was I until I used one ;)...but again, it's not the right choice for the OP's original request, nonetheless, IMHO.

I agree Jim and dont get me wrong Im not saying Festools arent any good as they are some of if not the finest tools out there. I just get blown away at the cost of the darn things! Yikes!

Dan Clark
09-17-2007, 5:03 PM
Time to research and design something to fit my needs.

Greg,

I think the key phrase is "fit my needs". So defining needs is probably the first step. I think the key questions are, "What do you want to build?", "What function will the table perform", and "What kinds of tools will you use?"

If "assembly" = "glue up only", than the size and shape of your objects will control that. If "assembly" equals "building, final tuning, glue up and/or finishing", then the decision parameters are obviously different.

Best of luck with your decision.

Dan.

William Nimmo
09-17-2007, 5:41 PM
Of all my high priced festool products..the mft is probably the best of the bunch. Use it on every single project , amazing convienience for cross cutting, repeat cuts exact every time, clamping is great. It is a major part of their system. But without the saw, the router or the domino, it is probably just an overpriced table. With them it is a well thought out Tool, and I would buy it again in a heart beat.

Doug Mason
09-17-2007, 7:28 PM
I have Festoll tools and ordered the large MFT table. In my opinion, save your money and build one. It's just MDF with holes.

Jim Becker
09-17-2007, 9:31 PM
Gregg....suggestion: For an assembly table, having height alternatives is a very good idea. Consider building a nice, flat torsion box (lightweight but very strong) and then build four rectangular "boxes". That gives you three different height possibilities with those boxes as support. And the whole schmegeggie (technical term...:) )can be stored away quite easily when it's not needed.

Paul Comi
09-17-2007, 9:37 PM
... BUT the table is MUCH lighter than a bench and I find it starts to move around the concrete floor when doing this type of work. So, my two cents- A+ for using with Festool Tools, A+ for sanding and assembly, C- as a hand tool workbench...
Mike

I very recently made my version of an mft table and was concerned about the legs for that very reason. I made the top out of a lamination of 2 layers of 3/4" mdf with a grid of 20mm holes in the same configuration as an mft. But, for the legs, I used a (uh hum...) hefty converted dining room table. I used the legs and apron assembly without the top. The legs were cut down and the assembly was mounted to a solid core door with casters to make it mobile. It definately can take a pounding but is still mobile. Also, at 3 ft x 5 ft, its larger than the largest mft I believe.

The only festool tool I own is the Domino. I made the table so I could clamp 8 ways til Sunday for both assembly, panel glue-ups, sanding, and to roll it outside and do finishing on it with a clamped on lazy susan fixture.

In lieu of the Festool T square system, I made my own starting with a Drywall square. It doesn't slide in a track like the mft, but that's a small price to pay for me considering I just need to break down a sheet until its manageable to start cutting parts on the table saw. I am just finishing my first project with it and its been really nice to be able to clamp in so many ways that I couldn't do before.

Jim Kountz
09-17-2007, 9:39 PM
Hey Jim not a bad idea. Are you talking like a box in a box in a box kinda thing? Kinda like nested boxes? That would be an awesome thing to have!
Cool.

Rob Blaustein
09-22-2007, 4:53 PM
I have Festoll tools and ordered the large MFT table. In my opinion, save your money and build one. It's just MDF with holes.

Now you're getting into the old build vs buy debate. Building your own MFT has been discussed often on the Festool Owners Group site and if I recall the consensus is that you can certainly do it (as you can with the systainer carts) but those who have done it well have not saved a whole lot of money. The MDF part isn't pricey, but the extrusions, which endow it with much of the functionality, are. Then there's the time...

I have one and love it. I use it with the Festool circ saw and guides, particularly for crosscutting, but also as a general setup table, clamping station, etc. Yes, it's portable, but the larger one is a bit heavy to transport without a helper.

Bob Sanders
10-02-2007, 9:11 AM
If you want to see the Kreg Klamp Table in action... they just put a new video out on you tube

See here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrJXjpidqfw

Gary Keedwell
10-02-2007, 9:47 AM
Thanks for the link...I just watched it.:)
Gary K

Dan Clark
10-02-2007, 9:51 AM
Doug,

Suggestion - After you get your new MFT, use it for a week and then post your impressions. I'd be curious if you still think it's "...just MDF with holes."

Hmmm... If you think it's "...just MDF with holes" and that the OP should build one to save money, why did you buy one? :confused:

Dan.

Dave Falkenstein
10-02-2007, 10:38 AM
I have several Festool tools. I liked the MFT so well that I bought a second "Basic" one and have the two bolted together to form a larger work surface. I find the dual MFT to be the center of my home shop, and I use it for all sorts of cutting, routing, clamping, assembly and finishing tasks. I'd be hard pressed to put out the money for the MFT if I did not have the Festool tools to use with it, however.

Festool does offer the side extrusions as seperatly available items, if you want to build your own table.

Jack Clark
10-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Tom Clark submitted this simple, easy design a short while back. I'm very impressed by it. Even a dunderhead like me can build one. I nicknamed it the KISS Table. ;)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=64672

Greg Pavlov
10-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Now you're getting into the old build vs buy debate. Building your own MFT has been discussed often on the Festool Owners Group site and if I recall the consensus is that you can certainly do it (as you can with the systainer carts) but those who have done it well have not saved a whole lot of money.......

I went through the exercise of what I thought it would cost me to build one large one instead of buying three 1080's, two in the "basic" configuration, and the difference was less than I thought, though that was using some of Festool's (expensive) components, like the rails. There are tradeoffs, too: with several individual tables you can, if you want, rearrange them for some projects. On the other hand, if you don't need portability, a solid homebuilt is likely to move less. My 1080 has a much more solid feeling than I expected from what I saw in photos, and the feet grip my concrete floor pretty well, but it definitely doesn't have the gravitas of the traditional workbench. I don't think that I'd want to manually plane a large board on it, for example.

One of the things that I've been thinking about - and maybe this simply shows how much of a Festool newbie I am - is whether a setup with two MFTs and one or two plain extension tables wouldn't work just as well: do I really need all that surface area with the holes, rails, etc, or is it that I need enough to clamp/arrange/jig up my work and some extra surface area to support large pieces?

Dan Clark
10-02-2007, 1:00 PM
I went through the exercise of what I thought it would cost me to build one large one instead of buying three 1080's, two in the "basic" configuration, and the difference was less than I thought, though that was using some of Festool's (expensive) components, like the rails. There are tradeoffs, too: with several individual tables you can, if you want, rearrange them for some projects. On the other hand, if you don't need portability, a solid homebuilt is likely to move less. My 1080 has a much more solid feeling than I expected from what I saw in photos, and the feet grip my concrete floor pretty well, but it definitely doesn't have the gravitas of the traditional workbench. I don't think that I'd want to manually plane a large board on it, for example.

One of the things that I've been thinking about - and maybe this simply shows how much of a Festool newbie I am - is whether a setup with two MFTs and one or two plain extension tables wouldn't work just as well: do I really need all that surface area with the holes, rails, etc, or is it that I need enough to clamp/arrange/jig up my work and some extra surface area to support large pieces?

Greg,

Jerry Work (amongt others) created a huge custom MFT. He documented that MFT and included a lot of good tips in a document called
"Getting the Most out of the Festool Multifunction Table". You can find in on the Festool USA site under "Application and Tips -> Woodworking". It's a good read with useful information. That said...

I've read that Jerry now believes that multiple standard MFTs hooked together is a better, more flexible alternative than one big one.

When I needed some infeed and outfeed tables for my DW735 planer and my MFT, I got two "Ridgid Flip Top Portable Work Support Stand". I believe the part number is "AC9933". Fine Working magazine did a review of these types of stands and rated the Ridgid Flip Top as Best Value AND Best Overall. They are about $30 are Home Despot. (You have to look around; the HD clerks haven't got a clue what they are or where they are located.)

If you need more worksurface, that's one issue. Then, another MFT or table is probably a better option. If it's just for temporary support of longer pieces, take a look at the Ridgid Flip Top.

Regards,

Dan.

Greg Pavlov
10-02-2007, 4:33 PM
Greg,

Jerry Work (amongt others) created a huge custom MFT. He documented that MFT and included a lot of good tips in a document called
"Getting the Most out of the Festool Multifunction Table". You can find in on the Festool USA site under "Application and Tips -> Woodworking". It's a good read with useful information. That said...
I've read that Jerry now believes that multiple standard MFTs hooked together is a better, more flexible alternative than one big one. ............

Reading Jerry's article is what caused me to try to figure out the costs of building vs buying. But then, when I thought about how I would use, say, 3 MFT tables' worth, I began to think that maybe I should look at two and one or two "plain" tables, also stable, etc, same h x w X l, that I could use with the two MFTs as needed, and then with other tools as needed. I'll take a look at the Ridgid tables too, tho, just to get things better set in my mind. I also like Jim's idea, as opposed to having the separate dedicated & space-wasting lower platform for some projects that I was considering.

Dan Clark
10-02-2007, 4:38 PM
Reading Jerry's article is what caused me to try to figure out the costs of building vs buying. But then, when I thought about how I would use, say, 3 MFT tables' worth, I began to think that maybe I should look at two and one or two "plain" tables, also stable, etc, same h x w X l, that I could use with the two MFTs as needed, and then with other tools as needed. I'll take a look at the Ridgid tables too, tho, just to get things better set in my mind. I also like Jim's idea, as opposed to having the separate dedicated & space-wasting lower platform for some projects that I was considering.
Greg,

One point of clarification... It appears that Ridgid makes both outfeed tables AND the Flip Top stands. I have the Flip Top stands. I noticed the tables while looking up the part number for my post above.

I think the Ridgid Flip Top work stands are great, at least for my uses. My comments relate only to them. I have no knowledge of Ridgid work tables other than their existance.

Regards,

Dan.

Greg Pavlov
10-02-2007, 8:22 PM
Greg,

One point of clarification... It appears that Ridgid makes both outfeed tables AND the Flip Top stands. I have the Flip Top stands. I noticed the tables while looking up the part number for my post above.
I think the Ridgid Flip Top work stands are great, at least for my uses. My comments relate only to them. I have no knowledge of Ridgid work tables other than their existance.
Regards,
Dan.
I'll keep that in mind, and thanks for the ideas.