PDA

View Full Version : Lathe tool storage

Mike Forsman
09-16-2007, 9:36 PM
I'm trying to get my shop a little more organized rather than just piles of stuff everywhere. So I though I would tackle getting the lathe tools organized. I have a really shortage of wall space in the shop and so I came up with this idea. It is build out of left overs from other projects.

The storage box fits on the end of the lathe. It doesn't seem like it will get in the way too much there.

Opens like a book to allow storage of the lathe tools, and other lathe tools.

A close up of the storage shelf.

The second part opens with more storage.

Jason Christenson
09-16-2007, 9:55 PM
I like it. Just one word of warning though, every time I think I have my tool storage problem solved, I wind up with more tools.

Jason

Keith Christopher
09-16-2007, 10:05 PM
I like it. Just one word of warning though, every time I think I have my tool storage problem solved, I wind up with more tools.

Jason

Amen to that.

Keith

Pete Jordan
09-16-2007, 10:05 PM
Very nice Mike!

I wonder if you might want to put it on something so you don't have to reach down.

Bernie Weishapl
09-16-2007, 10:27 PM
Great looking storage Mike. I echo the rest there will be more tools.:eek::rolleyes:;)

Scott Hubl
09-17-2007, 12:57 AM
Very nice, well thought out. I have been collecting tool storage ideas for awhile now and will add this to them. One day I will come up with a combined unit that will serve my needs, nothing big enough , and compact, portable enough as of yet. But this on top of a drawer unit on wheels with a another side unit or two just might be my answer. Thanks for posting it. Willing to share dimensions and how you built?

Might be a good first project for my dovetail jig too.

George Guadiane
09-17-2007, 6:32 AM
TWO things...
Guys like you (trying to be NEAT:eek:) make me wish I had more carpentry skills and patience.
You could have spent that time turning...
OH, and it looks like you don't have to sweep up TOO often to get into that box.
Nice job, and don't listen to those other guys, if you find yourself with a new tool, just replace one of the ones already in there :D (or build a bigger box...)

Jim Becker
09-17-2007, 9:52 AM
I like that setup, Mike. It not only keeps the tools neat and organized, but frankly, it gets rid of the "chip collector" that so many of us have for our turning tool storage. Very nice!

I have to give some thought to making something like that for Stubbalina...unfortunately, the project list is already very long! LOL!

Mike A. Smith
09-17-2007, 10:50 PM
I'm trying to get my shop a little more organized rather than just piles of stuff everywhere.

and this is a problem because....?

Seriously, a nice solution Mike. I'll probably steal some of that design.

Mike Forsman
09-18-2007, 12:01 AM
I sure agree with the more tools statements. I did design it with some extra spaces based on the number lathe tools I currently have. The back section is currently holding the original set of tools that I purchased when I first got the lathe. I seriously considered not putting them into the storage area. But since I had the room I included them. If I get to the point of needing the storage locations, I will not feel bad about using those locations for higher quality tools.

I do agree with not wanting to bend down every time I change to a different tool. I really have a shortage of wall space to mount this on otherwise it would be on a wall. As a result, my plan is to make a holder to hold the tools that I'm using on the specific project that would keep them in close reach. Time will tell on what I come up with in that regard. What doesn't show in the picture is that my router table is right behind where I stand when I'm turning. Currently, I turn around and keep the tools that I'm using on the router table top.

Jim,

I understand about the already long list. I worked this in between some of my other projects for LOML. Of course, I don't have a house project that is depending on vanities either.

Scott,

I built this unit out of plywood that I had left over from my exhaust fan project (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=65491) (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=65491%29). The construction is mostly 3/4" plywood on the back, top, and bottom. I wanted 3/4" plywood on the back to provide strength to hold the unit up. The front is from 1/2" plywood. I used pocket screws (and a little glue) to put it together because they are fast and it is only a shop cabinet not fine furniture. However, if I had the lumber and time, I could have used the dovetail jig. The unit measures 20" wide by 30" tall. The back section is 3 1/4" deep, the middle section is 5 1/2" deep, and the front section is 3 1/4" deep. The holes that hold the tools in place are two different sizes. Some of my tools needed 1 3/4" holes for the handle and some fit better with 1 1/2" holes. Hope that this helps.

Mike

Scott Hubl
09-18-2007, 3:59 AM
Thanks Mike,
For the extra info on the unit. I don't have a pocket hole jig and thought using dovetails would be a good excuse to use my D1600 I recently got . I havent used it yet thought a shop made item would be perfect practice, get to know the jig kind of thing. Would be strong too. I like your fan cab too. I may just make a drawer cabinat and add a storage solution like yours for the top. I have a ton of turning tools to store. With a bottom drawer unit and add a 4or5 deep unit like yours just might hold most nicely. I have those white wire closet shelves under my Lathe now but holding them all in the shavings makes it hard to find just the tool your looking for, thats the one thats somehow always buried under everything.

Heres a pic, only a small amount of the tooling I have on them now, my tablesaw is lost under the rest at the moment and so is one of my benches.lol