PDA

View Full Version : Camphor, good or bad

Pat Salter
09-16-2007, 9:34 PM
I've recently gotten some Camphor wood, VERY aromatic (my truck smells like Vicks vaporub:D ) but i'm not sure how safe/dangerous it is. has anyone turned any of this?? if so, any negative/positive results? (healthwise that is)

Ernie Nyvall
09-16-2007, 9:45 PM
I've seen some stuff out of camphor, but other than that, I don't know anything about it... and I don't know if it was turned green or not. If you do turn it green, and you have any cuts or scrapes on your arms, your all set with first aid.:D Campho-phenique is still about the best.

Greg Savage
09-16-2007, 10:39 PM
I've used Camphor burl over the last few years to make a few small turned items (peppermills, etc.) and also guitar tops. It is stable but holds its water content well. Air drying works well, but seems to take more time than most other woods. Once you cut into a block, the wet areas are quickly noticable.

steve fleischmann
09-16-2007, 11:13 PM
Pat, I just took a class today at Woodcraft in Pompano Fl. The instructor had a bowl, and plate made form camphor. They were beautiful.

Steve

George Guadiane
09-16-2007, 11:14 PM
I turned a bark edge bowl of camphor recently, I liked the way it turned and had no ill effects that I know of.