PDA

View Full Version : Saw Till Question

Greg Crawford
09-16-2007, 9:31 PM
I'm in the process of making a home for my hand saws, and have come up with a hybrid design till from all the great plans and ideas I've seen. The one question I have is what size should the kerf be? If I use a hand saw, it seems that the kerf would be a bit tight. Should I use the table saw with a thin kerf blade? My band saw throat is too small to reach the center kerfs.

Thanks

Jim Dunn
09-16-2007, 10:19 PM
Not having built one myself I'd ask the question, How long untill the saw kerf opens up from putting the saw in and out of the till? I'd think it would happen quickly if you are storing users. If your storing saws for "looks" then is shouldn't make any difference.

Just my $.02

Greg Crawford
09-17-2007, 6:33 AM
Jim,

That's something else I thought about, so I designed mine to hold the saws with the teeth out and the handles held a bit higher, so they can be grabbed by the handles. Hopefully it will work and be convenient, because these are users and will be grabbed often.

Thanks,

Greg

Ruston Hughes
09-17-2007, 1:44 PM
I cut mine on a table saw. The 1/8" kerf makes it really easy to get the saws in and out. I also store mine with the teeth in as I tend to grab the saw by the blade, just above the handle when removing a saw.

Kevin French
09-17-2007, 9:06 PM
I also cut mine on the TS with a 1/8" blade for easy entrance. There's no problem with the saws not lining up uniformaly.

Greg Crawford
09-17-2007, 9:51 PM
The TS answer is good news, it will be much easier. Thanks.