PDA

View Full Version : Air mover and Exhaust fan

Mike Forsman
09-16-2007, 9:26 PM
I have had more time than usual in the shop lately. One of my projects was to make a paper storage shelf for LOML and her scrapbook paper. I will post pictures of that when I get it finished. She wanted the paper storage shelf painted. The last time I painted anything, the exhaust fan that I use in my make shift paint booth went bad. It was a gable fan and I believe that the finish got into the motor and caused it to short out. I was faced with either getting another fan just like the previous one or doing an upgrade. I determined I wanted a belt drive fan so that I could get the motor out of the air stream. Went with a two speed belt drive unit. Built the following box to allow this unit to be used to move air in the shop and as an exhaust fan. The filters allow me to filter the air when I'm using it in the shop.

This picture shows the fan turned for movement of air in the shop. Also provides storage under the fan and above the fan.

By lifting a latch on each side of the unit, I can rotate the fan so that it points out the window.

Mike Forsman
09-16-2007, 9:28 PM
I can then roll it back and point the discharge out the window.

Finishing fumes are then out the window.

Jim Becker
09-16-2007, 9:34 PM
That's pretty kewel, Mike!

Bill Huber
09-16-2007, 11:45 PM
Now that is really slick.

Do you take the filters off when you exhaust it out the window?

I guess I am lucky in away, I just exhaust the air outside all the time and don't have to worry about a filter. There are a few days in the winter that I could use something like that but not to many.

John Schreiber
09-17-2007, 9:12 AM
Sweet. I've been thinking about something like that, but with hinges and mounted on a door frame so that I could use it as kind of a power screen door.

Where did you source your fan?

Mike Forsman
09-17-2007, 11:34 PM
Bill,

I have not had a chance to use it to exhaust my makeshift paint booth. But, my plan to use it with the filters on. I built the filter holding capability to prevent over spray from getting on the outside of the house and also to try to keep it off the fan blades and fan belt.

John,

I purchased the fan on line from Industrial Fans Direct.com. Their web address is:

http://www.industrialfansdirect.com

The fan I purchased is a 24" industrial 2 speed belt drive exhaust fan. The link to that fan is:

http://www.industrialfansdirect.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FANS&Product_Code=TE-V2422&Category_Code=IND-FA-EF-C

I ordered the fan online. It was shipped by truck. I received it just a few days.