PDA

View Full Version : Custom kitcken w/Pics

Jay Brewer
09-16-2007, 6:19 PM
Hi everyone, just finished installing this kitchen today. After building a couple spec. kitchens for a contractor, this was I nice change because I wasent bidding against the big box stores. I really enjoyed this one because I delt with the home owner directly.

Everything was made with Alder and Pre-finished Maple Ply. I am totally addicted to the pre finish ply. The speed of building the boxes and not having to spray inside the boxes more than make up for the extra cost.

I will post some more pics when everything is finished.

Jay Brewer
09-16-2007, 6:22 PM

I cant install the drawers under cooktop until they do the ducting

Nancy Laird
09-16-2007, 6:27 PM
Nice job, Jay. Those cabinets are really pretty.

Just one question and please don't take this as a criticism, just curiosity. Why didn't you put the cabinets all the way to the ceiling? There seems to be so much wasted space on the tops and anything one puts on top of the cabinets will just catch dust. My opinion only.

Nancy (96 days )

James Williams 007
09-16-2007, 6:30 PM
Nice work!!! I love doing custom work it's nice to find a homeowner that appreciates it also.

P.S. I know this is off subject but I'm a nut about details in homes like this... but the outlets in the the backsplash should be moved down and turned I guess the tile guy or builder should worry about that.

Jamie Baalmann
09-16-2007, 6:32 PM
I don't know my mothers kitchen cabinets are the same way... she has lots of decorations and bowls she uses very seldom up there. It works out great for her... looks nice Jay

James Williams 007
09-16-2007, 6:33 PM
I like the fact that you didn't take them to the ceiling it gives that kitchen depth. The ceiling height is too high to take them all the way up the top shelves would have been unusable. Just my opinion.

Jim Kountz
09-16-2007, 7:10 PM
P.S. I know this is off subject but I'm a nut about details in homes like this... but the outlets in the the backsplash should be moved down and turned I guess the tile guy or builder should worry about that.

Which ones are you referring to? The ones I see look to be close to the standard 48" line to the top?? And you say they should be horizontal instead of vertical? Just curious here but whats your reason for doing so?

And Jay, very nice work on the cabinets!!

Jamie Buxton
09-16-2007, 7:28 PM
When you use prefinished for the interiors, what do you do about the shelves? If you use the same prefinished for shelves, how do you finish the front edge?

Jeffrey Makiel
09-16-2007, 7:39 PM
Jay....absolutely gorgeous!

I like the way you stepped the cabinets up and down and off the wall. Very interesting and elogant. I like the way the pilaster opens up to store baking sheets.

It looks like it was a lot of work. Once again...this is some nice craftsmanship.

-Jeff :)

James Williams 007
09-16-2007, 7:40 PM
I like to move the outlets down and side to side rather than up and down almost to the countertop to keep them out of the field of tile for the backsplash. I have seen some people move them up but that makes them harder to reach.

Jay you have true talent I love the pics more everytime I see them! The curved panels are a nice touch!

Jim Becker
09-16-2007, 8:21 PM
Outstanding work, Jay!

Jay Brewer
09-16-2007, 8:56 PM
Nice job, Jay. Those cabinets are really pretty.

Just one question and please don't take this as a criticism, just curiosity. Why didn't you put the cabinets all the way to the ceiling? There seems to be so much wasted space on the tops and anything one puts on top of the cabinets will just catch dust. My opinion only.

Nancy (96 days )

Hi Nancy, I like different opinions and welcome them. The step down from the ceiling is the norm here. this kitchen has 9' ceiling, never seen cabs touch a 9' ceiling, around here at least. On 8' ceilings I make a couple of the cabs touch the ceiling.

- most customers here want the step up and down on the top of the uppers

-cabs that go to the ceiling cause a problem with the crown moulding of the uppers and the crown moulding of the room. There are ways to deal with it but im not a fan of them.

-also by steping the cabs up and some out, I am able to install most of the crown moulding in the shop.

- And the best reason is this is what the customer wanted :)

Jim Kountz
09-16-2007, 9:04 PM
Jay, again nice work there. Did you make the columns??

Jim

Jim Nardi
09-16-2007, 9:20 PM
They have to be very happy with that job.

Craig Thompson
09-16-2007, 10:24 PM
Nice work Jay... who did the design work??

David Duke
09-16-2007, 10:32 PM
Nice work Jay, I really like the cabinets above the stove top. I haven't seen that before.

frank shic
09-16-2007, 10:57 PM
jay, did you build or buy the doors?

Jay Brewer
09-17-2007, 6:12 AM
When you use prefinished for the interiors, what do you do about the shelves? If you use the same prefinished for shelves, how do you finish the front edge?

Hi Jamie, I usually handle the edge of the shelf two ways. If its a spec kitchen, I just use some pre-finished edge banding from Fastcap. On a custom kitchen I will run some strips of Astragal moulding on the shaper and clear coat it when I spray the doors. Thaks for the question

Mike Spanbauer
09-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Very nice Jay! I really like the attention to detail and the "little" things like the columns and curved work.

Sharp!

mike

Jay Brewer
09-17-2007, 6:12 PM
jay, did you build or buy the doors?

Hi Frank, I built the doors, everything except the legs. One day I might start ordering the doors, but my OCD wont let me just yet:D

Thanks everyone for the compliments, they are greatly appreciated