PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my table saw motor?

John Minnick
09-16-2007, 5:18 PM
I just got a new Rikon 10" table saw with the sliding table. Have been using it for less than 1 hour total. Passed a piece of MDF through it with no problem. Turned the saw off to re-position the MDF to make another cut on it. Turned the saw on and it started to barely turn the blade and then shut off. For the next 5 minutes it won't even spin the blade. I have two separate 220 lines and the saw behaves the same on either line. My other 220 tools work just fine so I don't think it is the circuits.

Any ideas? I am stuck until I can call their support line tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim O'Dell
09-16-2007, 5:32 PM
Little things you can do. Check all the electrical connections. Even check the lines to the capacitors. But check motor and switch connections to make sure everything is tight. If you have a volt meter, check for power at the motor when it is switched on. If you have power there, it's at the motor somewhere. All other checks make sure you have the saw unplugged, and be real careful with that test. Did it come with a plug already on the end, or did you have to install that? If you have an ohm meter, you could check continuity of the line from the plug to the switch, then to the motor. That would be the safest thing to do. Other than that, ?????
Good luck. And give us a thread with your thoughts on the saw when you get it back going. Lots of people are interested in finding out more about it. Jim.

Rafael Carias
09-16-2007, 7:01 PM
what Jim said.

if all the electrical joints/connections are verified then there is a possibility that you have either a bad motor, capacitor or magnetic switch.

Carroll Courtney
09-16-2007, 7:26 PM
Disconnect the wires at the motor coming from your starter or switch.Spread them apart so that they are not touching anything.Turn the switch on and w/ a volt meter check to see if you have 220 going to the motor.Another thing to check,is feel of the motor and see if it is hot,the motor my be out on over loads that are imbeded in the winding of the motor.As the others have said,check all connections first,w/ power off.Check to see if the belts are in a bind.Good luck

James Phillips
09-16-2007, 8:40 PM
Call Rikon. It wounds like you have a probelm with the centrifugal switch in the motor. I know 3 people this has happened to.

John Minnick
09-17-2007, 9:44 AM
I checked all the connections visually as I don't have any electrical testers. Called Rikon tech support this morning and they were great to talk to. They are sending two new capacitors as they think one of them on the outside of the motor is bad. I'll post more information when the new parts come in.

As for the saw itself, I love it. Very well put together and cuts through everything like butter. Such a big difference from my Jet contractor saw. I haven't cut any large panels yet but small ones are very easy on the sliding table.

I'll post more information and some pics when I get it running again.

John Minnick
09-20-2007, 8:26 PM
Rikon tech support nailed the diagnosis. They sent me two new capacitors and I replaced the one that appeared to be bad. Saw started right up after the replacement. Only thing that could have been better was if they sent the parts via FedEx. :)

Rafael Carias
09-20-2007, 9:38 PM
Good to hear Rikon took care of you.

BTW, got pics? ;)

John Minnick
09-22-2007, 11:20 PM
A couple of pictures:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y114/jminnick/DSCF0864.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y114/jminnick/DSCF0863.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y114/jminnick/DSCF0862.jpg