PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want a free tote for #5 and bigger Stanley?

nic obie
09-16-2007, 2:47 PM
I Just got done making jigs for the older style Stanley totes that fit #5's and bigger. You wouldn't believe how much 1" stock I wasted until I got it right. This one was made out of a leftover cutting board that I had lying around. It looks weird but works. Just PM your address and I'll send it gratis.

The ones made out of cocobolo and genuine rosewood are much, much nicer looking. I will most likely have a few left over and will start a thread in the classified section if anybody wants one.

jonathan snyder
09-16-2007, 3:09 PM
Nic,

That is a fine looking tote. Is does not look weird, you did a great job. Very nice of you to offer it up gratis!

How about a tote making tutorial? I know there are a few out there already. Did you do anything differently?

Jonathan

Clint Jones
09-16-2007, 3:10 PM
PM sent -Clint

nic obie
09-16-2007, 3:58 PM
Clint,

Let me know your address and I'll mail it today. It is unfinished so you will have to sand and top coat.

Jonathan,

I used a cnc router to shape it and then a couple of jigs to mark and drill the holes. I can post pictures if anybody is interested.

nic obie
09-16-2007, 4:03 PM
I have another out of Jatoba (Brazilian Cherry) with a bad lacquer job that I'll also give away. Just give it a wash with lacquer thinner and re-coat and you will be good to go. Just give me a PM. Postage is on me.

Martin Shupe
09-16-2007, 9:20 PM
I have another out of Jatoba (Brazilian Cherry) with a bad lacquer job that I'll also give away. Just give it a wash with lacquer thinner and re-coat and you will be good to go. Just give me a PM. Postage is on me.

PM sent on the Jatoba tote.

I'd be interested in a step by step tutorial on how to make these.

Bob Aquino
09-17-2007, 6:57 AM
Me too, I have a ton of jatoba lying around and could make a few myself. Just wondering what the quickest way to shape the handle is once its cut out.

John Schreiber
09-17-2007, 8:57 AM
. . . I used a cnc router to shape it and then a couple of jigs to mark and drill the holes. I can post pictures if anybody is interested.

I'd love to see it. I've been putting it off for a while knowing that I'm bound to screw up expensive wood drilling the holes.

nic obie
09-17-2007, 8:20 PM
Here is a couple pics ~~~

John Schreiber
09-18-2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks Nic, that does help. Especially that 26.9° on the Wixey gage.

James Davis
09-26-2007, 12:29 PM
I just wanted to pass along a big thank you to Nic. I was not fortunate enough to get in on the freebies but he made a couple totes and mailed them to me for a very reasonable price. All i had to do was screw them to the plane. Again, thanks nic for the quality product and the prompt service. ( I ordered on Monday and got them on Wednesday)

nic obie
09-27-2007, 9:17 PM
Hey James,

Glad they worked out for you.

However, like I mentioned, you should have sprung for the cocobolo ones :D:cool: :D;) ;) .

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/nicobie/111-1184_IMG.jpg

James Davis
09-28-2007, 8:47 AM
But budget and the LOML have a say in these things.

The ones I got are great.

James