PDA

View Full Version : Router cabinet done but sand and finish.

Bill Huber
09-16-2007, 2:09 PM
I still have to pull off everything and sand, stain and then put some poly on it. I did almost screw up and put a cross brace in the front but just before I did I thoulght about getting the shop vac under stand.
The 2 drawers on the left are for my router bit storage and the shelves on the right are for the things I use a lot, crank, inserts, router wenches and depth guide, those type of things.
The front is closed, I had slots in it but I didn't like the looks so I cut a hole in the back for the clean air to come in for the router. The main shop vac port is at the top of in the back for the dirty air.

The cabinet has a clean air router port, how does that sound for a dust port. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=65058

72039 72040

72041 72042

Jim O'Dell
09-16-2007, 2:28 PM
Looks good Bill! Now get out there and get it stained and sealed, so you can us it! :D Jim.

Jim Kountz
09-16-2007, 2:58 PM
Good job Bill but I hope you're able to see that tiny OFF switch during use. Could you not find a large one? LOL :-)

Jim

Bill Huber
09-16-2007, 3:05 PM
Looks good Bill! Now get out there and get it stained and sealed, so you can us it! :D Jim.

Well I have the yard to do this afternoon so I may get started on it tonight. The sanding will not take long, its the stain and the poly that I don't like.

Bill Huber
09-16-2007, 3:08 PM
Good job Bill but I hope you're able to see that tiny OFF switch during use. Could you not find a large one? LOL :-)

Jim

I tried but I just couldn't find one.:D

That is the same switch that I have on my table saw and really like it. I can find it so easy and never have to take my eyes off the blade or the bit.

Dwain Lambrigger
09-16-2007, 3:53 PM
Beautiful router table. Where do you buy the on off switch? I would like to replace the one on my TS, and get one for a router table as well. Does that vac stay underneath the table full time?

Peter Stahl
09-16-2007, 3:56 PM
Very nice highboy router cabinet Bill!

Bill Huber
09-16-2007, 4:14 PM
Beautiful router table. Where do you buy the on off switch? I would like to replace the one on my TS, and get one for a router table as well. Does that vac stay underneath the table full time?

Thanks, it works and that is the main thing...

I got the switches at Rockler, they are nice switches, they have a pigtail with a receptacle and then the main cord that goes to the wall, I do think they are a little high but they are made very well and that is what I was looking for when I found them.
The one on my table saw is just right so I can hit it with my knee if I need to. http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/image/83061777

The little 4 gal. 5hp shop vac stays right there, I got it just for the router table.

Rockler Switch
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17401&filter=switch

glenn bradley
09-16-2007, 4:47 PM
That is a very cool looking RT. Nice job.

Bert Johansen
09-16-2007, 5:12 PM
Bill, nice work! I like the dedicated vac and the neato dust collection system you rigged up.

Having been in your shop, :D I know how limited you are for space. Have you considered locking casters allowing you to move the table? You might also consider a low shelf for the vacuum, in which case you might have to route the DC duct above the lower rail, but that doesn't appear to be a problem.

Carroll Courtney
09-16-2007, 5:52 PM
Kinda fancy Bill,love that top and its going to look sharp when finish.Are should I say sharper:D

Bill Huber
09-16-2007, 9:09 PM
Bill, nice work! I like the dedicated vac and the neato dust collection system you rigged up.

Having been in your shop, :D I know how limited you are for space. Have you considered locking casters allowing you to move the table? You might also consider a low shelf for the vacuum, in which case you might have to route the DC duct above the lower rail, but that doesn't appear to be a problem.

Where it is, it wouldn't do me any good to move it anywhere. I have moved the parts cabinet that was there and I am putting the metal cutting bandsaw in the garage, just don't us it that much.

Now I just have to find a place for the bandsaw and the lathe....:D :D

I have this dream of a bigger DC in the future. I would put it outside in the back and pipe it in to the tools so I will just leave the little vac there for now. When that happens I will enclose the lower part of the cabinet and use it for storage.

Stephen Edwards
09-07-2009, 9:56 AM
I can vouch for the Rockler switches. I bought two of them after seeing Bill's table on his website. Occasionally Rockler will have them discounted. Keep your eyes peeled for the discount! They're great switches, well built and the cord is plenty long.

Steve Southwood
09-07-2009, 10:44 AM
What type of fence is that? That is the type I want for my table, when I get started building it.

Bill Huber
09-07-2009, 11:00 AM
What type of fence is that? That is the type I want for my table, when I get started building it.

It is the Jessem fence and table, I love the setup and think its great.

Here is a little better shot of the fence.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=64822&highlight=jessem

Here is the micro adjuster I made for it.

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/micro_adjuster

Steve Southwood
09-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Yes that is the way I want my fence to adjust. Your micro adjust is a great idea, that I just might have to duplicate.