PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a 6" Jointer

Scott Hayes
09-16-2007, 9:23 AM
I'm shopping for a 6" jointer and would appreciate member's input on brands in the $500 range.

Tim Morton
09-16-2007, 9:35 AM
I'm shopping for a 6" jointer and would appreciate member's input on brands in the $500 range.

grizzly makes a nice one. HD makes a nice one if you are not looking for mail order.

Eddie Darby
09-16-2007, 9:59 AM
http://www.rikontools.com/Products/Jointers/20-110.html

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5445

Rikon
6" JOINTER
Model 20-110

$500

Ken Glass
09-16-2007, 10:25 AM
Scott,
I own a Grizzly 1182z (with levers) and have been completely satisfied for 4 years now. I have never had to make adjustments to it other than to set the in-feed 1/32" lower to take off more material. It has stayed co-planer even rolling around on a mobile base. It is priced at $475.00. plus shipping, or for a great time at a great tool store, visit one of the showrooms near your location. (ugh) I sound like a salesman. Seriously, it has performed above my expectations. Just my opinion. http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1182ZHW

Allen Bookout
09-16-2007, 10:29 AM
I had a Ridgid 6" for a couple of years and It was more than satisfactory. Well made and worked perfectly.

scott spencer
09-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Another satisfied Grizzly owner here, but it's one of several that should serve you well....Jet, Ridgid, Craftsman, Sunhill, GI, Delta 37-275... Shop for deals, and go with what makes the most sense.

Rod Sheridan
09-16-2007, 10:47 AM
I've owned a long bed GI jointer for 7 years, and am very pleased with the accuracy.........Rod.

Doug Shepard
09-16-2007, 10:51 AM
I've been real happy with my Powermatic PM54 (not the newer, longer 54A that replaced it), but I checked and it's a bit out of your range. My personal preference is for handwheels rather than the levers, but I think it's taste and what you're used to. There's quite a few used ones listed in the Portland craigslist too - Jets, Ridgids, Delta, etc. Might be able to get a decent one for half your price range.

Jim Becker
09-16-2007, 10:53 AM
Jointers are pretty simple devices...my suggestion would be to see if you can located a good used one for now...from someone upgrading to larger, as you may very well do one of these days, too. That said, I had the Jet 6" closed stand in my shop before I bought my J/P combo. It was a great machine. But any of those already mentioned by folks will give you good service for edge jointing and face jointing within the limits of the length and width of the machine.

Steve Roxberg
09-16-2007, 11:19 AM
I'd recommend buying used. I got my 8" Grizzly 1018 for only $400.

Jointers seem to be the most frequently upgraded tool so used 6" and 8" ones seem to pop up a lot.

Even if you go 6", if you buy used when you upgrade, and you will upgrade, your lost or cost of ownership will be less.

Beside, new blades and you can't tell a new one from an old one.

Dave Sweeney
09-16-2007, 12:04 PM
I just went through the same thing you're going through now. I ended up getting the Jet JJ-6CS. http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=2051

Don Bullock
09-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Scott, there are mant threads here at Sawmill Creek on jointers. You might want to search through them as well as read the responses to your question. After researching the same topic I decided to spend more and buy the Grizzly G0490 8" jointer and I'm very glad that I did. If you still are considering a 6" jointer, I've used the Jet that Jim mentioned (Jet 6" Jointer Model JJ-6CS -- $449 at WoodCraft and Rockler plus shipping if they don't have one in stock). It's a nice machine. For your budget the Grizzly G0452 is a good jointer at $429 including shipping. It has a built in mobile base which makes it handy for small shops. If you need liftgate service shipping will be about $20 more.

Joe Mioux
09-16-2007, 12:49 PM
grizzly makes a nice one. HD makes a nice one if you are not looking for mail order.

HD?

Harley-Davidson?:D

This is one of these moments that I am stuck, who is HD.

I suspect I will go DUH! when the answer is revealed, but I am stumped.

thanks
joe

Jim Nardi
09-16-2007, 12:56 PM
I've had the Ridgid for quite a few years now. Not one hiccup.

Jim Becker
09-16-2007, 1:19 PM

Home Depot...Ridgid brand... ;) (repeat after me..."Doh!")

glenn bradley
09-16-2007, 1:28 PM
I've held off for someone else to mention the 6" vs 8" argument. Since it has been mentioned . . . I am glad I only spent $200 on my 6" jointer as it is that much less painful to accept now that I know I should have gotten an 8". This applies to me as I do make up panels and have found the 6" restriction to be a problem for me.

If you are working primarily with surfaces that will not be a problem with the 6" size and have no visions of making larger stuff, I would definitely shop the used market. Those of us upgrading to 8" or larger are not few in number and many lightly used machines are out there.

Tim Morton
09-16-2007, 1:52 PM
HD?

Harley-Davidson?:D

I suspect I will go DUH! when the answer is revealed, but I am stumped.

thanks
joe

my bad...i should have clarified that....but yes jim is correct. I mean to say Ridgid.

Brian Penning
09-16-2007, 1:54 PM
Another vote for the Ridgid. I'd buy another one if my present one died.