PDA

View Full Version : Box Elder & Ebony HF

George Guadiane
09-15-2007, 5:36 PM
The one with the ebony collar and foot is a recovery project, my second one for box elder. In the LAST nibbles of the tenon, I popped the bottom out. Finish on and everything, so I had to go back and put on the ebony. Since the HF was already in the jamb chuck, it was fairly easy to get a good seat for the ebony. I used that to make a new tenon so that I could put on the collar...
The other one went "like it was supposed to."
As always, all questions, comments and/or critiques welcome:D

Jim Becker
09-15-2007, 5:46 PM
Both are outstanding, George!

Glenn Hodges
09-15-2007, 5:58 PM
Georgeous George, the ebony makes the black lines in the spalting stand out, good choice for a collar.

Mike A. Smith
09-15-2007, 6:09 PM
Really nice save George; nobody would ever know. Love the spalting on the first one; if it was a sphere it would look like world globe.

Bernie Weishapl
09-15-2007, 6:19 PM
Great save George. Both pieces are beauties. Well done.

charlie knighton
09-15-2007, 7:38 PM
nice work, i wonder how many colors box elder has???? generally it grows next to water, so that really opens the options up....:confused:

Ed Scolforo
09-15-2007, 8:13 PM
Stunning work on both pieces, George!!

Dick Latshaw
09-15-2007, 8:16 PM
Very nice use of design opportunities on the first one. :) I like it a lot.

Steve Schlumpf
09-15-2007, 8:52 PM
Beautiful work on both pieces George! Love the forms and finishes! If you hadn't mentioned anything about your design change opportunity I would have just figured that you designed it that way! Once again - very nice work on both!

Neal Addy
09-15-2007, 9:13 PM
Both are excellent work. Really nice save using the Ebony.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-15-2007, 9:24 PM
What recovery? Both look good to me! Very well done George!

George Guadiane
09-15-2007, 10:15 PM
I don't LIKE making mistakes, but I really like "lemonade." I get 17 or 20 kinds of sad when I blow through the side of a piece or something absolutely unrecoverable. It's not so bad when I get one like this.
These are both similar in shape, I did 4 of them all at once. The ebony was the first the all Box Elder was the third... #2 is dead on the floor (unless I make a brandy snifter or something) and the fourth isn't hollowed yet... I am trying to get to some "consistency" (not doing too well so far:o).
By the way, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the way that ebony turns.:D
I am working on an ebony box with an elephant ivory finial and rim... and maybe a foot if I can find the right piece of "scrap."
I will show pictures if it survives. I'll even tell the story on it/them and the LOW cost to do it/them.:eek:

Richard Madison
09-15-2007, 10:58 PM
George,
We will be anxious to hear about the elephant ivory.

Skip Spaulding
09-16-2007, 12:11 AM
Nice recovery , your WHOOPS look better than my great! Both are beautiful.

Curt Fuller
09-16-2007, 12:37 AM
If you would have just told the story as though the ebony foot was part of the plan it would have seemed like a great idea, like you're a master at designing. It compliments the collar very nicely and adds a nice touch to the vase. But since you told us that it was just fixing a screw up you don't score nearly as many points.:rolleyes: Either way though, it's a real beauty. Both of them are!

George Guadiane
09-16-2007, 8:04 AM
If you would have just told the story as though the ebony foot was part of the plan it would have seemed like a great idea, like you're a master at designing. It compliments the collar very nicely and adds a nice touch to the vase. But since you told us that it was just fixing a screw up you don't score nearly as many points.:rolleyes: Either way though, it's a real beauty. Both of them are!
:eek:IF I thought that this was a "customer forum," I might have left that part out. My "extra points" here come from (I hope) being willing to share the facts and offer the same opportunity to others. As it is now (for me), no matter HOW BEAUTIFUL a piece is, when I see a similar treatment, I assume (and you know what that does) that they did the same thing.
My hope was that others would see this as a means to make more from things that "went wrong." Besides, as I think I said, I sold the original one like this a while ago, and figured lightning could strike twice.:D
HEY, I have a bark edge piece with the same issue... Think anyone would notice the repair?

Steve Trauthwein
09-16-2007, 8:17 AM
George,

I llike both! The shapes are really great! Where did you find your ivory? I have been checking eBay and have seen nothing suitable.

Regards, Steve

Ernie Nyvall
09-16-2007, 10:01 AM
I think the ebony foot and collar look great on that piece.. highlighting the spalting even more. Both have very nice form.

Mike Vickery
09-16-2007, 10:27 AM
George I think they both look great. I like the one with out the collar the best.

George Guadiane
09-16-2007, 10:42 AM
George,

I like both! The shapes are really great! Where did you find your ivory? I have been checking eBay and have seen nothing suitable.

Regards, Steve
Think outside the box... I got lucky, found a tusk base at a gold buying shop (I asked)... May get another piece out of it.
I kept about 2/3 and put the rest up on eBay... I will probably make a profit on the part I'm selling (it would be suitable for an ivory top to a box or 1/2 a dozen or more finials).
The rest is from 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch thick, tapering down to nothing, over about 7 inches, plenty of room for a finial taper.
I also go to garage and estate sales, asking for the things that I want. You would be AMAZED what people have and don't value. For instance, I bought a salad serving set. Ebony handles, 3/4 square tapering to 1/2 inch square by 9 inches long - $2.00 (those I sold, but I can get squares for less than what I got for them and keep the change).
Broken items are a GREAT source of raw materials (more later when I show the ebony box).
I'm frugal (CHEAP)! I hate to pay retail, and love a bargain. I look at things for what they might be, not what they are. Saves me some money.

Fred Conte
09-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Very nice George - thanks for sharing your secret recovery!:D

Nancy Laird
09-16-2007, 3:14 PM
George, both of these pieces are just beautiful and, like others, I wouldn't have known about the "save" if you hadn't told us. I'd be proud to show either one of them off in my house!!

Nancy (96 days)

Dennis Peacock
09-16-2007, 3:48 PM
Nice shape, form, and finish George!!!! Both are real keepers to me. :D