PDA

View Full Version : Removing cutting iron

Doug Mason
09-15-2007, 12:03 PM
I recently aquired a 28 inch woodie that, other than some light checking at the ends, is in good shape. What I can't figure out is how the previous owners removed the cutting iron--as there are no indentations on the top near the toe (nor is there a strike button) to suggest rapping in this area; in fact, I can't find any indentations at all on the plane--except for the few I have made. In addition, the ends have no signs of rapping on them.

So what am I missing here? How was the wedge loosened to remove the cutting iron?

Wiley Horne
09-15-2007, 1:49 PM
Doug,

Here are some excerpts from Clark & Williams' two pages of instructions on using their Fore and Trying planes:

"Remove the iron and set the wedge with a wooden, hard plastic or dead-blow mallet. These softer mallets will limit long term wear to your plane. A sharp rap, with your mallet, to the heel or strike button, will release wedge pressure. A tone change will indicate the release of pressure. The strike button on the toe of the plane is the traditional place to strike the plane to loosen the wedge but we suggest striking the heel to keep the plane's appearance crisp..."

and also, "We suggest you use a small (6 to 8 oz.) brass hammer to set your plane's depth of cut. This is done with light taps to the back of the iron. Steel hammers will eventually mushroom the heel of the iron. When the final setting is reached, apply a final setting tap to the wedge...."

Other instructions apply if your plane is a single-iron plane. In that situation, do all blade loosening over the bench, where if the blade falls through it won't hurt you or others, or work in progress.
_________

Now the above is all for normal operation. If the iron in your plane is frozen in place, that is a different issue. Please advise.

Wiley