PDA

View Full Version : Any Picture Framers on the Creek ?

Thinus Rabie
09-15-2007, 2:51 AM
Do we have more picture framers on the Creek ?

We also do picture framing , and found the laser machine to enhance a persons ability to cutt the matboards in so many different ways.

Specifically doing box frames the laser machine is worth gold.

I would like to hear what fellow Creekers say?

Stephen Beckham
09-16-2007, 9:26 PM
Thinus,

I'm partner'd up with a picture framer - he won't let me do much because those are his babies. We have colaborated on a couple jobs - attached is one that's hanging above the Lazy-Boy in the store. It explains itself.

I have another photo that I can't find right now where I've done a similar job but it was a family tree etched in matboard then he matted and framed it for the final job. He puts a bevelled cut on all of his mats so I'm not much help.

We have done things like holes, trims and text - but other than that - we don't mix the laser with the matting...

Later...

Mitchell Andrus
09-16-2007, 11:00 PM
I make about 250 picture frames a year. Only rarely do I need to engrave one. I just finished a 45 frame order ($4050.00) going to a lawfirm in CA that will be used to frame a special 4" x 12" photo. Each conference attendee will receive one.

I priced each at $90.00. This is a steep discount for me, but after deducting materials, I managed $180.00/hr. I don't think I would have gotten the job if I couldn't have offered the engraving.

I've never cut or engraved mats - I don't have a walk-in shop so my ability to market a point-of-purchase extra is limited. Someday, I'd like to play with the idea, though.

Stephen Beckham
09-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Couldn't find them at home because they were on the laptop at the store...

This one was abnormal because the one fella had two wives and both had full families. He's in direct center and then it's a bow-tie off each side for the kids.

The neat thing about this job was the Great-Great-Great-Grandson worked for me in the Army. He explained that Crawley Royal Sr was a slave - and a very light skinned slave at that. Apparently he walked off the farm one day and didn't stop until he was in or around Detroit.

It took me over four hours to figure out how to represent this family tree. NO - I didn't charge enough - but I felt good helping this guy out - besides - he worked for me and it would be unethical (Army standards) to sell to one of my subordinates. Now his family, they can buy as many as they want!

If anyone is interested in the CDR - let me know - I'll dig it up.

Mike Null
09-17-2007, 1:50 PM
Steve

Very nice work! Really good lay out and balance.

James & Zelma Litzmann
09-17-2007, 4:39 PM
Stephen, we would be interested in the cdr file, if we are talking about the family tree. I have a lot of people interested in family trees around here, not to mention I come from a very, did I say VERY large family myself. Any how if you would share we would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
James & Zelma (Psalm 18:2)

Thinus Rabie
09-18-2007, 12:20 AM
Stephen all those ideas of yours looks great ! Thanks for sharing!

Scott Perry
09-18-2007, 7:13 AM
Stephen, is that all vector cut? I have done some mattes both ways, vector and raster. It really stands out when I vector cut suede and weed. Nice job.

Stephen Beckham
09-18-2007, 10:29 AM
Scott - I did try to vector the lines on the first try - it seemed to be a bit thin for me and I liked the etched version better. The lines on this one were all Rastered along with the text and the tree...

Thinus Rabie
09-19-2007, 12:20 AM
Does anyone of the framers out there use some kind of framing software , were the Customer can see a digital version of what it would look like before the job is actually done ect. ?

This is a software tool that is a definate must for any framer.

Stephen Beckham
09-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Had several requests and I got James' permission to post it. He said he'd be proud to display and share it...

Steve

Stephen Beckham
09-19-2007, 10:22 AM
Thinus - Don doesn't use computers for anything dealing with the store and framing.

The only thing that he's considered would be the Mat Wizard for cutting but nothing that I'm aware of to give ideas/sample viewings to the customers...

Thinus Rabie
09-19-2007, 10:57 AM
Hi Steven ,

Thanks for the reply from Don.

Be sure to thank James for sharing !

Stephen, the reason I am asking , is that I have downloaded an amazing trial which runs for 30 days, from the web.
It is a absolute world class program for a very reasonable price !
You can actually take a picture of whatever you would like to frame , and then take a picture of wherever you intend to hang the Painting or picture , digitally frame it , and then see & show the customer what it looks like before it is actually framed ! The pricing changes ect as you select the different frames, matboards ect. You just do not get a NO from the Customer. It wows them everytime. What I am telling you is only the tip of the iceberg.

We were so WOWED by this , that we bought the sole rights to distribute this program in South Africa.

The person that designed and programmed this amazing software lives in Canada .

The price of the program is a STEAL !

I am not allowwed to advertise the website on this forum , so ANYONE interested can PM me , and go directly to the site ! I will gladly help with the details.

All framers , you cannot lose anything by downloading this program , you can only lose by not downloading it . There is definately and absolutly NO obligation to buy.

Once you run the program , you will be WOWED like us!

E-mail me & I will gladly show you to that website!