PDA

View Full Version : Finish for MDF top

Ken Glass
09-14-2007, 11:16 PM
Hey Gang,
I finished my new larger out-feed table, 84x38x37 inches, made from a great find of solid Oak Dovetailed drawers, (modified to fit my out-feed table), and wondered what to finish the Mdf top with. I would normally use my HVLP equipment and shoot the top with Pre-cat Lacquer, but I don't think it would have the slickness I need for sliding sheet goods across. For the base and drawers I'll use Lacquer. So I propose the question, as to what everyone uses to protect their MDF tops?

Regards, Ken

SCOTT ANDREWS
09-14-2007, 11:24 PM
Ken
If it were me,I'd use Formica.Tough,plus nice and slick.

Ken Glass
09-14-2007, 11:31 PM
Thanks Scott,
But the top is already done and edged in Oak, so its too late to change now. I just need some sound advice on the finish for the top, but thanks for your comment

Mike Langford
09-14-2007, 11:34 PM
I've used Danish oil with good results.

Howie French
09-15-2007, 12:00 AM
I used mdf for a router table top - many coats of watco, after dry... a few coats of wax. It has held up well.

Howie

Dave MacArthur
09-15-2007, 1:27 AM
I've seen several projects for shop assembly tables/outfeed tables finish their MDF tops with Boiled Linseed Oil (BLO). thewoodwhisperer.com has a nice podcast of this.

Bill Huber
09-15-2007, 1:50 AM
Well I am sure this is not what you should do but this is what I did to my little assembly table top.

Made it out of MDF, set it out in the hot Texas sun for an hour or so and then just used Johnson's floor wax on it, and it took a lot.

Put it back in the shop and let it cool back down and buffed it out. It has really worked out great. It is slick and glue will not stick to it.

Ed Beers
09-15-2007, 1:52 AM
One coat of shellac and sand smooth. Wax.

Ken Glass
09-15-2007, 8:24 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I might try Briwax. Similar to Johnson, but with more Bees Wax in it and in colors. I have used it for a few Entertainment centers with good success. I appreciate all the ideas.

Jim Becker
09-15-2007, 10:46 AM
Wax alone works fine and is quite renewable as you need to.

Art Mann
09-15-2007, 11:00 AM
Some time ago, I found a bunch of damaged sheets of white formica at Lowes for $7 each. I bought a bunch of that and have been using it for such work surfaces. It really works well but i don't know how economical it would be at the normal price.

glenn bradley
09-15-2007, 11:39 AM
As you state, you're table is complete so . . . For my MDF workbench top I used BLO, sanded to 400 and applied Johnson's Paste Wax. Very smooth, very slick and glue doesn't stick. Very easy to maintain as well. I usually give it a touch up when I'm waxing the cast iron in the shop.

Ken Glass
09-15-2007, 9:03 PM
Well everyone,
I went for the Johnson's Paste Wax that I had on hand. Put 2 coats on and buffed, after a finish sanding to eliminate marks from assembly. Sheet goods just sail across the top now. Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

Marc Casebolt
09-15-2007, 11:46 PM
Listen to Ed Beers he is wise. Shellac & wax, gooood.

I'm sure the others are wise too, oil will probably work followed with wax to make it slick.

Marc