PDA

View Full Version : Portable Planer modifications

harry strasil
09-14-2007, 10:55 PM
Several years ago, I purchased a Delta 12 inch planer on a special sale. I have a small work space and mounting it on my bench was not an option. So I made a portable roll around base for it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/planer001.jpg

This was my first experience with a thickness planer. I didn't like the planer chips all over the floor and the snipe was awful.

I designed and built 2 column locks for opposite corner columns with the only modification to the machine being 2 1/4 holes. I didn't like the outfeed table so I made simple rollers from 3/4 inch EMT conduit set in holes recessed into the wood.

The chip problem was solved by first attaching a piece of cardboard with ductape, then a clear plastic deflector was cut and ordinary hinges let it move up and down as needed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/planer002.jpg

Now I have no snipe whatsoever, and about 97% of the chips go into the original box the planer came in.

Not very fancy, but functional, and it works.

Stephen Pereira
09-14-2007, 11:14 PM
I think I have the same planer.

As you say, the snipe is awful. Would you elaborate on the column locks you designed?

Steve

Jared Cuneo
09-14-2007, 11:25 PM
Indeed, please enlighten us! I'm making that hinged panel tomorrow! :)

JC

harry strasil
09-14-2007, 11:51 PM
I made another set along with drilling patterns, hopefully with the intent of selling the idea to delta as an aftermarket thing and also as an improvement to the machine.

After I talked with someone at Delta about it and they sent the paperwork, I figured I was gonna get the shaft, so I just shelved the idea

As I am almost completely disabled now, I am a bit on the greedy side and would like to make a little cash on the idea, so I will not show pictures of the locks, just say its so simple its pathetic.

Hope you don't hold it against me?

Jason Beam
09-14-2007, 11:53 PM
Very nifty ideas - Does the box come off easily for emptying?

I'm interested in your column locks, too.

harry strasil
09-15-2007, 12:55 AM
box just sets there, and I went down and found the second set, but not the drilling pattern, I had not remembered I made the actual locks out of aluminum so they would not damage the column, I will have to make another set to find out how much it takes to make the locks, and also a couple of jigs to bend the alum pieces so they are right. If there is anough interest I will make several sets, I am just guessing but I think $30 a set would be a ballpark figure. I don't want to hold anyone up. Remember they will only fit the same model as I have. Delta 22-540.

Stephen Pereira
09-15-2007, 7:54 AM
I purchased the Delta 540 just when the newer 560 came out.. I should have waited and bought the updated model.

There is enough slop or backlash in the column screw to make inconsistent results.. there might be .020(sometimes more) or so difference in thickness from one end of the board to another. There might be a few reasons for this and one of them would be slop or play in the column screw. Column locks would help.

I have thought about looking at how Delta designed their locks and doing some reverse engineering.. just never got around to it. This thread might provide the nudge.

Jim Dunn
09-15-2007, 11:49 AM
Hope you don't hold it against me?

Never, get all you can! I have to ask, is the power for the planer from a mill outside your door:eek::D

Randal Stevenson
09-15-2007, 12:14 PM
Never, get all you can! I have to ask, is the power for the planer from a mill outside your door:eek::D

EXACTLY what I was thinking! Harry, NO, Really, Harry? Must have Amishified it. LOL

Appreciating power tools in your old age are we?:D

Laughing so hard, because I started out with my grandfathers hand tools (all I had), graduated to power tools, am learning about sharpening and tuning, and now appreciating, my not as dull hand tools.

Bruce Wrenn
09-15-2007, 10:49 PM
I have had a 22-540 for about ten years. The height screw tends to creep during planing. The locks will stop this. But I use a lifting magnet from HF to place against the handle of the height adjustment. This stops creep.

harry strasil
09-16-2007, 6:24 AM
Jim, yes there are several big 16 cylinder engines powering the planer, they are at the power plant a bit south of me. LOL

Randall, yes I am a galoot neanderthal, but that doesn't mean I haven't learned how to plug things in to help with the really labor intensive stuff occasionally.

What I figured out is the cause of snipe, any small miniscule amount of slack in the height adjusting screw lets the in side of the planer rise a bit when the first feed roll is contacted, the material then makes contact with the cutter head and starts its cut, then the outfeed roll makes contact and the outfeed side is raised up just a bit, causing snipe. But, you have to remember, the lunchbox planer was made to market not to the commercial shop, but to the ordinary Weekend Warrior Termite who needs an affordable means to accomplish their projects. I lucked out and got my planer for $100 at a closing out sale. As a Blacksmith I normally modify most every tool I get to remedy weakness's or short comings.

FWIW

james gerus
09-16-2007, 8:07 AM
Harry, I would like to purchase your planer attachment. Jim Gerus

John Schreiber
09-17-2007, 9:43 AM
Nice set up. I'm as cheap as they come and I've got that same planer. I may try to rig up some kind of column lock, but if I can't do it on my own, I'll let you know.

You deserve the profits of your work.

harry strasil
09-17-2007, 9:48 AM
no profit involved, just trying to recoup the lathe time involved.

harry strasil
03-26-2008, 4:45 PM
Update on the workbench project.

My daughter and S-I-L showed up and he helped me run the timbers thru the lunchbox planer to get the rough off, but he was more interested in sweeping the little bit of shavings that were on top instead of holding the end of the timber up, so I got some bad end snipe.

I went ahead with constructing my outfeed support among other projects, and changed the blades in the planer yesterday. After setting up the outfeed support and adding some stabilizing rods I finished up the planing today, ending up with them all 1.840 inches thick according to my Wixey planer DRO. One side is real smooth and I left the bottom side with some imperfections.

The outfeed support.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/outfeedsupport003.jpg

In use.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/outfeedsupport002.jpg

The stack of timbers now.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/outfeedsupport001.jpg

Instead of cutting them up and glueing face to face, I have decided to use them as is, for a lot less work in assembly.

The outfeed support will be used with the table saw to square the edges, and with the 6 inch jointer prepping the edges also. Its adjustable for height.

Vince Shriver
03-26-2008, 5:37 PM
Harry, you are da man! I would also like to "fix" my old Delta planner, so let me know if we can do a little business. Your modifications are creative, simple and at times just amazing. Vince