PDA

View Full Version : woes with router lift and table

Steven Triggs
09-14-2007, 10:11 PM
I got a Rousseau 3002 Router Lift a little while ago, and I've been having a bear of a time getting it setup properly. I started out with a tabletop of just 3/4" MDF. I routed out a seemingly nice ledge for it, and installed the leveling screws and got it "kind of" right. However, I found that everyday that I went up to it, it was out of adjustment and I had to do it all over again. I then realized, looking more carefully at it, that it was never really right.

So, I decided to quite messing around with it (or so I thought) and ordered a Rousseau table top. It is thick, and laminated on both sides. I installed it on my table this evening. I shimmed it in couple areas, and now it seems to be pretty darn level in all directions. However, I'm still having no luck getting the lift's plate leveled to the table. I got the four corners as "dead on" as I could, but then found that the middle of the front and back were low. I used the leveling screws to raise the middle. This of course caused the plate to rock left to right, which surprised me because if anything, I thought it was supposed to have a crown in the middle (although I've been unable to verify that it isn't flat with a straight edge.

Anyway, as of now, I've got the right side and middle pretty well level with the table, and the left side is high. This of course causes problems with my fence not wanting to sit nicely, and causes the miter gauge to "drop" a bit when it comes off the left end.

What am I missing? Is it supposed to be this ridiculously difficult to set up a router plate? Is there some trick to it?

Chris Rosenberger
09-14-2007, 11:25 PM
Have you checked the plate on the lift for being flat? I have never had a problem getting the plate level with the table.

Steven Triggs
09-15-2007, 1:19 AM
Chris, yes, it appears to be flat:

...I've been unable to verify that it isn't flat with a straight edge.

keith ouellette
09-15-2007, 8:34 AM
I don't see how one side and the middle can be level with the table and the other end of the plate be above the table. If one end were level and the other above then the middle would have to be raised slightly above the table also. From what you have said I would think the plate must be bowed down in the middle. That is the only way I could concieve of the plate being level with the table at the first two points and not the other. Geometricly speaking (if thats a word). It would also explain why when all corners were level with the table the center was low. I would send it back.

Bill Huber
09-15-2007, 11:51 AM
I have to agree with Keith, it just has to be the plate.
You had the plate on 2 different tables and did the same thing on each table.

I was having a problem keeping my Jessem even on each side, it would change all the time. I set it up and then run another set screw in on top of the first one and that stopped that.

glenn bradley
09-15-2007, 1:02 PM
I struggled with a Ryobi mounted to a 1/4" aluminum plate. Turned out I was pulling the plate away from flat as I tightened the router onto it. The original router face was not flat. A little masking tape for shims and all is well with the world. I did waste a ton of time going down the road you're on assuming that everything except the router was at fault.

keith ouellette
09-16-2007, 7:51 AM
I would have never thought to check the router. Now that I am thinkig about it and remembering the problems I have with tools being not quite right it makes sense to look their first but from Steven's description I'm betting its the plate.

Steven Triggs
09-17-2007, 7:39 AM
Thanks for all the input. Given that the router motor mounts in the lift carriage (removed from the router's base), I've decided you guys must be right and it's got to be the plate. I've contacted the merchant and am returning it. Hopefully the next one will go better...