PDA

View Full Version : Did the power go out??

Jason White
09-14-2007, 8:38 PM
A few sparks.. a quick wiff of ozone...

and my new Bosch worm drive circular saw cut through it's power cord -- only 2 hours out of the box, fresh from the UPS driver. DOH!

Talk about a bad day!

JW

Lee Schierer
09-14-2007, 9:21 PM
Ouch, that's gotta hurt. Sorry to hear about the damage to your new saw. You might be able to replace the cord with a replacement from teh company or you could use a molded plug extension cord from the hardware store and just cut off the receptacle end.

Bill Huber
09-15-2007, 1:34 AM
My hedge trimmer cord has more tape on it then you find at the hardware store....:D :D

I am sure you can put a new cord on it, you could more then likely order one from Bosch.

joe greiner
09-15-2007, 7:08 AM
BTDT. But with a right-angle grinder carrying Lancelot. No, no, no to taping splices. And maybe no to a factory replacement. Open up the case, mark the wire terminals, and cut the cord on the plug side of the break; put the rubber sleeve on the plug side too. Strip the wires to re-install on the binding posts, close back up. The final cord will be shorter, and you may need to use an extension cord, but lots of tools come with a very short (about 6 inches) cord to the plug anyway.

Joe

Richard Wagner
09-15-2007, 7:12 AM
And -- next time repair will be simple.

Brad Townsend
09-15-2007, 7:37 AM
A few sparks.. a quick wiff of ozone...

and my new Bosch worm drive circular saw cut through it's power cord....

Saws don't cut through their own power cords without some kind of help.:D

Ken Shoemaker
09-15-2007, 7:48 AM
I have been meaning to develope a new cable show... "When Power Tools Go Bad" featuring segments like; Kicking Table Saws, Rowdy Routers, Disorderly Drill Press, Painful Planers... Etc... Anything to add? :D

Bruce Volden
09-15-2007, 8:01 AM
Jason, I apologize for what is forthcoming, but was that a cross-cut or rip-cut through the cord?:D Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Bruce

frank shic
09-15-2007, 9:47 AM
jason, don't feel bad. i've cut through the circular saw power cord as well as the jig saw power cord. fortunately for klutzes like myself, they sell replacement power cords at home depot, although they're not as long as the OEM power cord.

John Stankus
09-15-2007, 10:55 AM
I have a very nice 99 ft extension (or was it 49 ft) cord from my father and the electric hedge trimmer. He gave me the cord (minus the foot sliced/spliced) to get the evidence out of the house ;)

John

Matt Meiser
09-16-2007, 4:00 PM
My hedge trimmer extension cord probably loose 3-6 feet per year! When it gets too short I replace it. Otherwise I just keep moving the plug back to where I cut the cord. Its always plugged into a GFCI, so its over quick.