PDA

View Full Version : Clear 60W Light Bulbs

Todd Fulton
09-14-2007, 8:19 PM
Had a lady ask me if it was possible to etch a clear light bulb. It is going to be uncovered and she thinks the frosted look would be nice.

Anyone tried it?

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Bruce Volden
09-14-2007, 9:02 PM
She can buy "frosted" lite bulbs MUCH cheaper than we can engrave them.
Plus, this doesn't sound like anything I would try. I once had someone attempt to try to talk me into engraving a LOADED shotgun shell.:eek: :eek:
I know it can be accomplished----just not by me :D

Bruce

Frank Corker
09-15-2007, 4:06 AM
Todd I'm afraid I agree with Bruce, lightbulbs are very thin and although you might be able to etch them you are going to make them very susceptible to breaking. What if she puts it in a childs bedroom and it blows?

Mike Hood
09-15-2007, 9:40 AM
I'd try to convince her that a frosted globe would be a safer alternative. Then you're not weakening a bulb and adding any liability for your business.

Gary Hair
09-15-2007, 12:31 PM
Are you talking about the entire bulb or just a design on the bulb? If the entire thing, I would do as Bruce suggested and tell her to buy a frosted bulb. If only part of it, I would sandcarve it, not laser it, and I bet it would turn out pretty nice. I agree with Frank about the liability issue, although I don't think it would "blow" since they are under vacuum not pressure.

I may just have to try that, just for grins...

Gary

Todd Fulton
09-15-2007, 5:38 PM
I would like to just try a simple design on the center circumference of the bulb. This would be for show only. No electricity running to the bulb. Maybe a name in nice flowing font.

AL Ursich
09-15-2007, 10:41 PM
Yes,

I can see that would be a problem engraving a loaded shell... Saw on the Myth Busters TV program the other day when they did the 22 Cal bullet in a Truck Fuse Holder.... Snicker...Snicker.

AL

Bill Cunningham
09-17-2007, 12:08 AM
The bulb probably won't blow during engraving, I've done glass Christmas tree balls and their about the same thickness. When they will blow, is when their in use and the high heat of a incandescent bulb causes different stress levels across the glass..