PDA

View Full Version : New project: 17' desk

Marc Casebolt
09-14-2007, 7:55 PM
Here are some crappy pics of our latest job. It's a 17' 3" desk that is installed behind a sound console in a stage where they re-record the sound for movies. Sorry about the picture quality, but these stages are not well lit and the flash just makes them worse.

This is where the director and producers sit when the film dub is in progress. This room rents out for about $3K per hour, and people from all over the world come here to dub their movies.

This desk was our first project using cherry, solid, shop cut veneer, and ply. I can see why so many people like this wood, it was a pleasure to use, and looks really great. The job went pretty smooth until they gave us some last minute changes, making it a bit of a pain to finish.

Speaking of finish; we used aniline dye for color, alcohol shellac to lock the dye in, WB shellac to further seal and give some more color, WB gloss lacquer to build the film thickness, then satin lacquer. Over all about 15 coats of finish of some sort.

In the front the raised pannels are actually locking sliding doors that cover 11" adjustable shelves. The open space on the end without the drawers is for rack mounted equipment.

The kid in the picture is my son and partner in this crime.

I'll be happy to answer any questions, and thanks for looking.

Marc

Jim Becker
09-14-2007, 8:09 PM
Absolutely beautiful, Marc!

And that mixing desk makes my 16 channel, rack mount unit look like a tiny mosquito! LOL

Bill Wyko
09-14-2007, 8:21 PM
That's a real beauty. Big enough to be a dragstrip.;)

Tim Lynch
09-14-2007, 8:39 PM
Awesome project to be part of, and a great piece of work. Sign me up!

Don Bullock
09-14-2007, 9:52 PM
Wow!! Marc that desk looks fantastic. I've been in many of the Southern California recording studios over the years and haven't seen a desk that nice in one. I have to admit though it's been a while since I've recorded in one. That mixing board is gigantic!

BTW --- I live in Simi Valley as well. My wife and I teach elementary school here in town.

Cary Swoveland
09-14-2007, 10:42 PM
Beautiful piece of work, Marc (and son).

Cary

David Klug
09-14-2007, 10:44 PM
That is really really nice Marc. I just finished a quartersawn oak cupboard that was 10' long for our church. It has the top sloped 25 degrees so they can display things on top of it. That was enough challenge for me. I can't even imagine making a project like that that is 17' long.

DK

Jason Tuinstra
09-15-2007, 3:08 AM
Marc, very nice desk for a very interesting purpose. Sounds like you put quite the work into getting a finish on this piece. It paid off. Looks fantastic. Great job!

Bruce Page
09-15-2007, 12:47 PM
Wow!
Take a beautifully crafted desk and multiply by 3! :eek:
Beautiful work, Marc

Marc Casebolt
09-15-2007, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the replies and kind words.
DK, you're right about the 17' being a challenge. The original plans drawn up by the chief engineer called for a one piece top 17' 3" long! I was able to talk them into breaking it up by raising the end cabinet tops, giving us just a 13' center section. Still seemed really long, and weighed a ton (it's 35" wide). We ended up bringing it to the site in 7 peices, and assembling them there. Believe it or not, that was the first time we actually saw the whole finished desk it one peice! Luckily it went together smothly and the customer really liked it. They are making noise about doing 12 more similar,but smaller jobs, so we are hopeful that we can get those.

Don, PM me and come by the shop some week end.(after you finish you homework)

Marc

Don Bullock
09-15-2007, 11:46 PM

Don, PM me and come by the shop some week end.(after you finish you homework)

Marc

Marc, thanks for the invite. After 36 years of teaching I've learned how to avoid homework.;) :D