PDA

View Full Version : Spiral cutterheads on jointers

Jim Kountz
09-14-2007, 7:20 PM
Was hoping to gather some information from owners of jointers with spiral cutterheads. How do they perform vs say a 4 knife head? Do the individual cutter inserts seem to last a good while before needing to be rotated? Id love to hear some opinions.

Thanks!

Jim

nick brigg
09-14-2007, 7:25 PM
dont own one, but used one for a year, it's carbide so they last a good while. way quieter than straight knives and tend to handle wild grain better. on the downside they're bloody expensive.

Jake Helmboldt
09-14-2007, 8:35 PM
Jim, I've been weighing the same issue, and personally the jury is still out, but here are a couple considerations.

My 4-cutter head gives very smooth finish, even on birdseye maple. Another issue is that some will say to make it worthwhile you need a carbide head in your planer as well, or perhaps only in the planer since you may run both sides through when thicknessing.

The real appeal seems to be the cheaper (in the long run) cutters, ease or changine, and longer life. But for a hobbyist I think it really depends on how much you run through your jointer. For the professional shop, probably a no-brainer. For me...I'll stick with what I have for now.

Gary Keedwell
09-14-2007, 8:44 PM
I think the future in woodworking will be almost ALL carbide inserts. Growing up in a machine shop, I have seen the transition from carbides soldiered to steel ..to carbide inserts. The veterans said it was just a fad. Now carbide inserts dominate every aspect of the trade, from CNC's to single point machining on conventional machines.
What could be more simple then to put the cutting head on a jointer and leaving it there? And think of it: We are only machining wood, not steel or aluminum.
Yes, the initial cost is greater, but you may never have to replace the cutting head.....ever.:)
Gary K.

Jim Kountz
09-14-2007, 9:01 PM
Gary thats kinda the way Ive been leaning. You make a many good points. Since this thing is going to see alot of use in my shop it seems like the way to go. Now I only have to convince my bank account!!

Jim

Gary Keedwell
09-14-2007, 9:21 PM
No problem Jim... I'm gearing up for retirement and I can't wait till we move so I can upgrade my 6" jointer to a 8" with carbide inserts. I hope I never see a straight HSS blade ever again!!!:eek: :D
Gary K.

Don Bullock
09-14-2007, 9:43 PM
Gary, congratulations on your pending retirement. I too am gearing up for my retirement and move to a new place. This year I went straight for the 8" jointer, but will look at carbide inserts when the blades wear out. I didn't want to streatch domestic relations too thin.;) :D

Craig Thompson
09-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Jim,

I have the spiral heads from Byrd on both my Joiner and Planer... would never think about having it any other way now that I have them. There is no doubt that a 4 blade unit will give a clean result, But here are my Pros / Cons.

Pros:
1. Easy, FAST, change of 'blades' when necessary.
2. ACCURATE seting of new 'blades'
3. Quieter
4. Some will argue... but better,smother finish.
5. Less tearout guaranteed.

Cons:
1. Initial cost (bought back the first time you have to put on new blades)
2. Your feed rate will actually be slower on the joiner. (don't know why... but the resistance is greater.)

I am sure that I am missing some on both sides of the scale, but those are the ones that jumped out at me after having both. I do not regreat upgrading to the shelix heads.

brian mcannally
09-15-2007, 12:08 AM
Completely agree with craig on all his pros and cons. Just upgraded to the 8" byrd Shelix in my jointer and hope to soon upgrade my planer. I am VERY happy with the shelix head.....wanna buy some 8" jointer blades??? :)

Dick Latshaw
09-15-2007, 1:32 PM
I too agree with Craig's list of pro's and con's. I've had a Byrd head on my jointer for about two years. Soon after I got it, I changed out two inserts that got dinged or weren't right to begin with. Haven't rotated the inserts yet. At this rate, I'll probably be replacing the inserts after ten or so years. I will consider putting a Byrd head on my planer, but the finances won't allow it at the moment. (It's a 20 inch planer.)

Steve knight
09-15-2007, 1:44 PM
I cut mostly tropical woods so it was a economical issue with me. I spent way too much time changing jointer blades. every month or so they would be dull. Now I can go more then a year between rotating the cutters.
now if they just made a head for my portable planer (G) I will have to spend 1500 or so to go to a planer that will come with the head I need.

Gary Keedwell
09-15-2007, 1:54 PM
Wow , over 12 times as long. Won't take long to pay for themselves at that rate:eek: :)

Gary K.

Steve knight
09-15-2007, 1:57 PM
yep it is cost effective. that does not even include the time saved changing the knives. right now I have about 1.5 years on the same edges. but thats pushing it if I run into some really figured woods.

Gary Keedwell
09-15-2007, 2:03 PM
Steve, it really is a no-brainer. I think people hesitate because of the initial cost and the unknown. I have seen carbide inserts for over 20 years so they are "old hat" to me but most people unfamiliar to machine shops would consider them a novelty.;)

Gary K.

Jim Kountz
09-15-2007, 2:07 PM
Well this has all been very helpful. TO contintue this little saga can I ask those who replied what kind of jointers they are running the spiral heads on?

Thanks!

Jim

Craig Thompson
09-15-2007, 3:24 PM
Jim,

Joiner = Delta DJ20, 8"
Planer = Powermatic 209, 20"

Once again / oppinion. There is the possibility of upgrading your machine with the Grizzly quick insert blades... Fixed base with insertable blades. Economical replacements... replaced fairly often. I have had one on a planer.... I am much happier with what I have... no initial setup of the blade base... which is what always gave me a hard time.. There are guys who magically can replace their blades in an 1hr... always took me days to get all 4 etc,etc... jigs did not work... I spent as much money in gadgets to make it easier, and time... then I did on the shelix head. Sorry for the lengthy response.

Just trying to push you over the edge...:D

J.R. Rutter
09-16-2007, 1:45 PM
I run Byrd heads in a 12" General jointer used solely for facing, and a 24" RC-63 planer.

Excellent results. Great investment. I run a lot of Jatoba (Brazilian Cherry) - very hard, mineral laden wood that dulls out steel quickly.

Chris Rosenberger
09-16-2007, 3:39 PM
I have a 16" Powermatic with a Helical head. It works great.