PDA

View Full Version : Project: New Shop Doors

Rick Levine
09-04-2007, 3:22 PM
Finally got to start and almost finish my new sliding barn door for my shop and, boy is it going to be heavy! The dimensions are 80" wide and 76" tall. Made from Ponderosa pine rails and stiles, which started out as a 16' x 13 1/2" x 8/4 plank, and HD tonge and groove SPF 2x planed down to 1 1/4" for the field. I plan on finishing the construction, staining (actually Penofin) and hanging it next weekend.

Rick Levine
09-13-2007, 11:29 PM
I finally finished the sliding barn door for my shop. I can't tell you how difficult it was to do the glue-up as well as hanging it. I did have a friend help me with both. It was too unwieldy for one person to handle.

Jim Becker
09-14-2007, 5:07 PM
Those are awesome doors, Rick!!! And I love the look of your shop...fits right in with where you live.

Brian Ross
09-14-2007, 5:21 PM
I second the comment about your shop.A feed bag hanging in the door would look good on that shop. Travel through your part of the country on our way to Vegas. Beautiful area and have stopped at the Santa Fe tool store in Albuquerque. Interesting place to visit. The only thing that I question is where do you get your lumber. Don't see much growing along the Interstate.
Brian

Dixon Peer
09-14-2007, 5:34 PM
Nice looking job. What's the exterior wall material on the shop?

I guess you don't get a lot of moisture there in New Mexico either as rain or humidity (DUH!)...If I used Ponderosa Pine for exterior doors here in New Jersey, they'd be rotting out in short order.

Rick Levine
09-14-2007, 5:37 PM
Brian,

You discovered my dilemma. I moved here because I was a photographer in a previous career and wanted to pursue landscape photography as well as woodworking in my retirement but actually have been spending more time with woodworking since I haven't had access to my darkroom equipment since moving here. That will change next year when I do retire (178 days as of today 9/14/07).

I still have enough energy to do both and I plan on staying in good shape as well. There is a decent lumber yard in Santa Fe but their prices are outrageous, I paid $4.80 bf for Ponderosa pine. I think it will be cheaper to buy in Albuquerque or even out of state. I'd only use them in an emergency.

Rick Levine
09-14-2007, 5:58 PM
Dixon,

The stucco is called STO. It is a pre-colored material that has something integrated that allows it to stretch and contract with limited cracking. Best thing, I never have to paint it.

It is very dry here. You have to be careful when drying lumber. It will crack quite easily. I have to seal the ends if the wood sits around too long. Ponderosa pine is commonly used here, especially in Taos.

By the way, the rails and stiles are Ponderosa, the field is from HD they call it SPF (spruce pine fur). Believe it or not it was the only place I could find 6/4 T&G boards for the field. I tried to use some left over Ponderosa from the building construction (trim) but it was too thin and wouldn't provide enough insulation. I milled the rails and stiles to 1 3/4" thick and the T&G to 1 1/4". I did save a lot of time using the HD lumber since I didn't have to do all the T&G myself.

Glenn Clabo
09-14-2007, 6:04 PM
Wow..nice work Rick! My family (dad...mom...2 sisters) moved out to Los Alamos after I joined the Navy. I grew to enjoy the look...and you sure have piled on to my enjoyment.

Jim Kountz
09-14-2007, 7:13 PM
Wow Rick that gives me some inspiration. I have a standard (el cheapo) garage door on my shop. I would much rather have something like you built. Since there are NEVER going to be any cars in my shop anyway I really dont need a regular garage door anyway!

Jim

Cody Colston
09-14-2007, 7:17 PM
That has to be the coolest looking shop I've ever seen. I love the Southwest look and with those peeled columns, Eagle chapiters and that great looking door, yours is tops.

Thanks for showing.