PDA

View Full Version : Turned my first pens today

Ace Karner
01-31-2004, 2:53 PM
So I'm all caught up in turning pens, so I jumped in with both feet this morning and this is what I managed to do.

Left to right black walnut, maple, mesquite

Thanks for looking
ace

Ted Calver
01-31-2004, 2:57 PM
Great looking pens Ace, and those bowls in the background aren't too shabby either!!

Michael Ballent
01-31-2004, 3:30 PM
Very nice looking pens... Can't wait until I have the funds for a lathe...anyone need some furniture ;).

-Michael

Kevin Gerstenecker
01-31-2004, 4:09 PM
Nice job Ace.............the Pens look really good. Looks like you jumped on the Pen Turning like a Duck on a June Bug! Pretty simple and straighforward, once ya get it down, huh Ace? I really like the Mesquite Pen, nice "warm" look to it. Thanks for posting the first of many Ace, really nice to see 'em. So, that is 3 down, and ??? many to go? :D

All 3 look great Ace...................you are Turnin' and Burnin' now! :D

Rick Burson
01-31-2004, 4:55 PM
Very nice Ace. I'm already addicted and I've only done a whopping 8 total. Today I'm doing a flat top with english walnut bottom and deer antler top. Have some grays and browns in the antler. Can't wait to see it finished.

Just had to come warm up.

Rick

Dennis Peacock
01-31-2004, 5:49 PM
Ace.....

You ol' dawg you..!!!! Those look really nice.!!!! :D

Keep it up and you are going to be up there with Grumbine on this roundy round stuff. ;)

Bob Lasley
01-31-2004, 7:17 PM
Way to go Ace! I've turned a total of 9 pens now and having a blast. Turned my first European style today. Whoever thought doing something for a good cause could be so much fun?

Bob

Tom Sweeney
01-31-2004, 8:28 PM
all 3 turned out great - I really like the mequite. I'm a little surprised by the color & the mottled grain really shines in that pen. :cool:

Scott Greaves
01-31-2004, 10:49 PM
Ace!

Nice looking pens! I like the Walnut one! What kind of finish did you decide to use?

It's a good idea to keep your first pen. Serves as kind of a reference point. I wish I had kept mine!

You're going to enjoy turning pens! It serves as a great counterpoint to turning bowls. Take care!

Scott.

Ace Karner
02-01-2004, 9:00 AM
Tom, I used Huts Crystal Clear on these, I'm open to suggestions tho, since I'm a pure rookie at this.