PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide on my next lathe, please

adam tracksler
09-14-2007, 12:56 PM
I have been seriously turning for about a year. I have a Shopsmith 10ER. It was fine for the price (Free) but I want something a little better now. I mostly turn pens and Shaving Brushes. I like making bowls. I'd like to be able to turn a 12" bowl.

I have narrowed my choices to the Rikon Mini Lathe 70-100
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5508

and the Craftsman 15"
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921715000P?vName=Tools&cName=Bench+Power+Tools&sName=Lathes

I now these ar a little like apples and oranges, but I only want to buy one lathe and not two down the road.

I Like the Rikon size and it seems to be pretty much what I want (well, what I need) Since most of my turning is on the smaller side.

The Craftsman just seems like everything I would ever need. and probably more so....

So, can anyone help me out?

Thanks, ad

Bob Hallowell
09-14-2007, 1:16 PM
Adam,
Alot of us had problems with the palmgren/craftsman lathe. So i would recomend the Mini. That' being said neither will be your last lathe. Just the last one you but before your next bigger lathe.:eek:

And welcome but they don't call this a vortex for nothing as you watch your money get sucked away!

Bob

George Guadiane
09-14-2007, 1:21 PM
I have been seriously turning for about a year. I have a Shopsmith 10ER. It was fine for the price (Free) but I want something a little better now. I mostly turn pens and Shaving Brushes. I like making bowls. I'd like to be able to turn a 12" bowl.

I have narrowed my choices to the Rikon Mini Lathe 70-100
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5508

and the Craftsman 15"
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921715000P?vName=Tools&cName=Bench+Power+Tools&sName=Lathes

I now these ar a little like apples and oranges, but I only want to buy one lathe and not two down the road.

I Like the Rikon size and it seems to be pretty much what I want (well, what I need) Since most of my turning is on the smaller side.

The Craftsman just seems like everything I would ever need. and probably more so....

So, can anyone help me out?

Thanks, ad
A couple of things...
First, the Rikon won't yield a 12 inch bowl, 11 1/2 MAYBE, not 12 (splitting hairs). If you decide on this one, bolt it to a 1/2 inch steel plate to add mass... It will turn more smoothly.

Second, broaden your options. Consider a second hand lathe from someone, who like you is upgrading.
Third, think a little longer term... We all want the new toy to play with, but don't buy something just to have a new toy, you will grow tired of that one soon enough too.
You used the word "seriously." If you are, in fact, serious, consider saving your pennies for an even bigger lathe, one you can rely on for years, and one that you won't have to wish over ("I wish it would do this, I wish it would do that").
Long term, I would recommend something with:

Cast iron legs
Digital variable speed (from "0")
Reverse
Movable headstock for turning off the side or endI have a Powermatic, I absolutely LOVE it. I could sing it a song, maybe knit it a sweater, it is my baby... There are other great lathes for less mone (not that MUCH less).

LAST OF ALL, with all due respect to a great company in many ways, DO NOT BUY THE CRAFTSMAN (just my opinion, but STRONG).

Mike Peace
09-14-2007, 1:31 PM
Can't help you with the lathe recommendation. I have a Jet mini and am happy with it for the time being until I am ready to make my final lathe purchase.

Show us one of your shaving brushes and tell us about it!

Neal Addy
09-14-2007, 3:15 PM
Welcome to the Creek!!

Also check into the Jet 1220. It would be my first choice of the three (with the Rikon being second and the Craftsman fourth).

As far as it being your last lathe... :rolleyes:;):D

charlie knighton
09-14-2007, 3:38 PM
i also covet a new lathe and george is right

Cast iron legs
Digital variable speed (from "0")
Reverse

he has the powermatic but the jet 1642 evs has these options also

the most important consideration is digital (electronic) variable speed
1. out of balance blanks (much safer)
2. dry sanding and wet sanding
3. buffing

my delta went to the service center again today, i put a $100 maximum to fix it, i have enjoyed it but want something nicer that would improve my finished pieces because the tool would allow me to automatic improve my turnings

TYLER WOOD
09-14-2007, 4:36 PM
Check out Generals!:D Some of the same features as the PM but cheaper by about a grand when you find them on sale. $1600 for a 16"X42", evs (50-3200 rpm), solid 400# cast iron, well built on just about every thing. Just my opinion from a General owner.

Brian Weick
09-14-2007, 5:17 PM
I found this great Oliver Lathe I know you turn pens and bowls , and I think this lathe can handle that ~ but there is a little leeway for you to turn "Slightly larger" pieces possibly if you so desire. What do you think? it will go write through your front door - no problem!
Brian:D

Glenn Hodges
09-14-2007, 5:31 PM
I would never buy a power tool from Sears. My Sears lathe and bandsaw stayed tore up, and they kept sending repair men out to my house because they were under warranty, but as soon as the repairman left the machines went down again. If you want to turn bowls now you will want a larger lathe than the mini so save your money for a larger one or look for a good used one.

adam tracksler
09-14-2007, 6:23 PM
That oliver is perfect, will it fit in my 500 budget?

paul ashman
09-14-2007, 7:33 PM
I really like my Jet 1220, but after only 4 months I am starting to look at larger machines. The jet has been a good first choice, it does not have VS, but the larger capacity made up for it in my choice of a mini. It is a keeper though, and while the next lathe will be a larger one, the mini will still be useful.

Dick Strauss
09-14-2007, 7:48 PM
Adam,
You should also look at the Delta 1440 (46-715) in that range. Often you can find the Delta on sale for $450-500. It will turn 12-13" and is much more stout than the two that you mention IMHO. The 3/4 hp motor makes it so much stronger than the Delta minis

I own one and love it for the price. It's not perfect but it is a good compromise. Check it out for yourself.

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=11458

PS-I've tweaked my reeves drive to slow the minimum speed down to 150-200 rpms instead of the factory 500-600 rpms. This really helps for larger off-balance pieces.

Dick

Barry Stratton
09-14-2007, 9:44 PM
Where are you located???? There was an old Oliver in great shape listed in the For Sale section in Bismark ND.......

Bernie Weishapl
09-14-2007, 10:37 PM
Adam I have the Rikon and like it alot. I have turned a 11 1/2" bowl on it along with mini birdhouses, lidded boxes, christmas ornaments, pens, etc. Takes a few seconds to change the belt and if the belt breaks you don't have to disassemble to change the belt.

adam tracksler
09-15-2007, 9:04 AM
I'm in Southern Maine. Real close to New Hampshire and Mass.

Andy Hoyt
09-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Adam - Welcome.

Come on up to South China sometime and attend a meeting or two of the Maine Woodturners. I know it's a haul for you but would be well worth it. There are a number of members who live down your way and they all car pool. Be happy to put you in touch with them. Collectively, the membership has just about every lathe imaginable and I'm sure you could take some test spins on many to help you in your quest. Lemme know.