PDA

View Full Version : Other uses for hardwood flooring

Bob Moyer
09-14-2007, 12:45 PM
I work with someone who is offering to give me about 20 square foot of hard wood floor for free. What have you made from flooring, picture frames??

Thanks

Richard Link
09-14-2007, 1:24 PM
I've made quite a bit from flooring as it is a usually rather cheap source of hardwood. I look at the lumbar liquidators for offcuts and specials and can often get away with a steal. I've made cutting boards, boxes, doll furniture, ruler holders, etc. Just plane off the ridges, cut off the tongue and grooves and you are good to go. Its, obviously, easier to utilize the wider stock, of course. I once got about 30 board feet of 6" cherry for less than 10 bucks....

Rick

Mark Ball
09-14-2007, 1:29 PM
I used maple flooring for my workbench top. Rock solid and flat

Marcus Ward
09-14-2007, 1:30 PM
Watch out for nails!!! I can't ever get hardwood up without a ton of nails in it.

Ed Garrett
09-14-2007, 2:23 PM
I've made furniture out of 6" teak from Lumber Liquidators. In my case flooring is a particularly good source for hardwood because I have no planer or jointer. I just designed the furniture around the limitations of the plank dimensions. I believe you tend to come up with more creative designs when you are forced to design around the material.

Sincerely,
Ed Garrett

Don Hein
09-17-2007, 9:33 PM
Oak flooring was perfect material for a hallway shoerack-bench 18"Hx36"Wx14" deep, basically constructed from horizontal slats planed to 5/8" and spaced 1/2" then connected front-to-back with 1/4" dowel. Hardwood flooring also makes great stair treads, not glued but fastened to undertreads of 3/4" ply with screws from below every 6-8".

Jim Nardi
09-17-2007, 9:39 PM
Hopefully they are not all shorts. Cutting boards come to mind.

Jim Kountz
09-17-2007, 10:11 PM
Clocks are good for small pieces. A small wall hung shaker style clock is a popular choice and I think the largest piece of wood in it is less than 4" by 30" give or take. Brother Norm built one and I believe there was one on the cover of one of the wood mags a few years back. Nice little project for scrap wood.

John Eaton
09-17-2007, 10:51 PM
I've used reclaimed cedar flooring (closet liner works and can be easier to wrok) for drawer sides in jewelry boxes - works well (you might have to plane or rip to thickness). It feels good to use materials that would otherwise go into landfill.

-- John