PDA

View Full Version : New Grizzly spiral cutterhead installed in jointer, short review

Kyle Stiefel
09-14-2007, 2:41 AM
Hello,

I have a Grizzly G0500 8" jointer which I was about to replace the blades on.

I had looked at both the Byrd and Grizzly spiral cutterheads about a year ago and it wasn't in the finances so I had decided to wait. Well, as I was browsing the Griz website I saw that their cutterheads were on sale for about 25% off. Now from my understanding the Griz head cuts on a square feed while the Byrd cuts on a shear path which would be more optimal. However, over the last year I have not heard of anyone who has been more then happy with their Griz head. Secondly, I know some people have had problems with their Byrd installation so I pulled the trigger on the Griz head.

My head arrived in 3 days via Priority mail so I had paid a bit more shipping. Unfortunately, when I was ordering it the literature didn't indicate the bearings came with it. The sales representative didn't think they came with it either and recommended ordering a new set, so I did. I recieved the head with bearing included. Now I have an extra set of bearings coming which I don't need. If papa Griz reads this they might want to document that so it doesn't happen to other people and so the sales representatives know.

Everything arrived packed well, complete head with new pulley, 5 spare cutterheads, T driver handle, torx driver, new bearing block studs and hardware. The head was oiled and wrapped in plastic, nice packing. I removed the old head and the new head was installed shortly thereafter.

Initial placement and verification with the straight edge, PERFECT. Couldn't slip my 0.001 feeler under either side. I hooked back of the belts, tightened the nuts on the bearing block studs and off to the raises.

I tried to find something laying around for a test piece. I found a piece of walnut with a knot and changing grain patterns.

Beautiful, no tear out and significantly quiter then the old head. It has now taken me longer to type this thread then to install the new head and it is getting late. I look forward to the use. It appears that I have made a wise investment and will get a tremendous amount of use from this head as it is like I have 4 new heads.

PROS- Price
Excellent packing
20 minute simple installation
Outstanding cut
Quiet!

CONS- Sales representative advised ordering new bearings when they were included with the product

I hope this information helps anyone who was pondering the Griz spiral cutterhead for their jointer. I think I am going down a slippery slope as my planer screams like a jet engine so it sure would be nice to run a spiral head in there as well.

Good day,
Kyle

Don Bullock
09-14-2007, 8:00 AM
Kyle, your post is definately a great help to me. I'm thinking of doing the same thong when I need new bladed for my G0490. Since it's new that won't be for a while, but it's good to know that the change is easy and the new bearings come with the head. I hope to see a review on these heads compared to others such as the Byrd.

BTW --- That was a great choice for a "test piece."

Pat Zabrocki
09-14-2007, 8:38 AM
Kyle thanks for the great post. I have a g0500 as well and have been thinking about doing the same thing, right down to the decision between the Byrd and the Griz. Very helpful info I second Don's comments about your choice of test wood. Its good to see what the cutter can do in some tricky wood.

thanks again
Pat

Greg Cole
09-14-2007, 8:53 AM
Kyle,
I've been sitting on the Byrd-Griz fence for a replacement cutter for my G0586 for awhile. Been doing exterior building all summer so the WW shop stuff has been back burnered, but cooler weather is here.
I've been leaning towards the Byrd... but you've given me a reason to think twice, three times... or something like that.

Thanks,
Greg

Cary Swoveland
09-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Hello,

I have a Grizzly G0500 8" jointer which I was about to replace the blades on.

...Now from my understanding the Griz head cuts on a square feed while the Byrd cuts on a shear path which would be more optimal...

I think the jury's still out. IMO, all you can say is that they cut differently.

...However, over the last year I have not heard of anyone who has been more than happy with their Griz head....

I'm more than happy with mine. (But I think I know what you mean.:) )

Cary