PDA

View Full Version : Ash for chairmaking

Tom Wiarda
09-13-2007, 10:11 PM
I made a chair from oak based on "make a chair from a tree" and want to make another. The City was cutting down some ash trees infected with the
Emerald Ash Borer and I got a nice piece of a trunk. I started to split it up tonight and it splits much harder than red or white oak. Has anyone else made a chair from ash and can tell me how well it works. Am I going to get frustrated trying to split it and shave it? Also does anyone have plans for a rocking chair version? Thanks.

Kevin French
09-16-2007, 3:51 PM
Tom I'm just about to start to make one out of a Green Ash I cut last winter. It was standing dead for a few years and the boards spent the rest of the winter in the shop.

I made a pair of 11' canoeing poles out of it last winter and had no problem working it with a draw knife.

As for the plans, the ones I'm going to use are from FW'n #78 Sep/Oct 89.

Jim Becker
09-16-2007, 8:17 PM
I have not done any riving for chair parts (I'm largely a non-Neander), but I do make my chair spindles and legs for natural edge tables from ash at the lathe with no issue.

Tom Wiarda
09-16-2007, 9:24 PM
What is the name of the article from FWW #78? I need the name to search for it in their archives.
I'm not sure what type of ash the City plants along the streets but the piece I have does not split straight and some of the grain is wavy. When I shave it with a drawknife it tears and does not cut smooth. I am about ready to give up on this piece and look for a nice piece of oak. Thanks for your information.

Kevin French
09-16-2007, 10:33 PM
Building a Bent-Back Rocker by Brian Boggs

Tom Wiarda
09-18-2007, 8:41 PM
Thanks, I got the FWW book from the library today with the plans. It looks a bit more challenging to build than the first chair I made. Now all I need is to find a nice piece of a tree. Post pictures of your chair when you are done.

Kevin French
09-18-2007, 8:50 PM
Looks Like the chair is going to have to wait. We are headed to Central Europe in a week for 3 weeks and I'm spending my free time this week installing some new cabinets to store the rest of my hardware.
I have all the pieces for the chair cut to size now. I may get a couple pieces turned prior to leaving, but not many. I think I'm also going to have to build a steamer as my wood is pretty dry now. It won't be a greenwood chair.

Good luck

Kevin