View Full Version : history

Harry Goodwin
09-13-2007, 7:25 PM
Used a gel stain on ash small tables. Horrible results streaking and no
penetration worthwhile.
Didn't want to give up and start over so deft sealer added
deft gloss added
deft satin added still horrible.
Now can I use a polyshade by minwax in the same color till I get some acceptible color. As you can tell I'm not a perfectionist in finishing to say the least. Harry any port in a storm

Steve Schoene
09-16-2007, 2:20 PM
Don't use polyshades. If you weren't happy with the gel stain and found it streaky polyshades could end up being a disaster.

Gel stain's priniciple purpose is to not penetrate. On woods prone to "blotching" that is one way reduce it. I don't quite understand how you got streaking on ash? I would expect you would have had dark colored pores which emphasized the grain, but didn't get the overall darkness that you wanted because too much wiped off. Is that what you are seeing?

When you say you added Deft sealer I'm not sure what you mean? Did you put a sealer coat over the gel stained wood, or did you mix the sealer into the gel stain and apply that mix? Same question with the Deft Satin.

John Mihich
09-17-2007, 2:48 AM
Polyshades - If it's a lighter coloring that you are using then it won't do much good. Now if you are going darker then polyshades will work. Do not use it right out of the can - thin it then use it as a wipe on. If you brush on polyshades the brush marks will show; unless you're really good with a brush. With wipe-on you won't have brush marks. I use it all the itme when I want to change coloring just a bit.

You probably found out that gel stains aren't for all woods. Ash is generally an easy wood to stain - a regular oil based stain. Not sure what went wrong - maybe left it on too long?? It can be difficult to work if you leave it too long.

You may have to strip it and start again. One thing I always do when working with new wood - test what I plan on using as a finish. I try to use a piece about 12 x 12 if I have it available. If you want to try polyshades work a piece as you did and then try polyshades. You can buy a real small can so not to spend a lot of $$ for somewthing you may not like.

Harry Goodwin
09-18-2007, 8:19 PM
Thanks for the help. I did finally in despiration use dark walnut polyshades and it worked OK. That does not mean I would recommend the way it took to get there. Harry