PDA

View Full Version : Building vs Buying

Tom Clark FL
09-13-2007, 7:22 PM
On a recent thread there was a very popular discussion on whether to build your own or purchase a workbench. Of course there were many opinions with different circumstances for everyone, but I just couldn’t stop thinking about my own reply to this very basic woodworking question. In my own case, one of the best parts of taking up the hobby of woodworking is the fact that you get to design and build things, and build projects exactly the way you want. The very best part of my shop is the dozen or so workbenches and cabinets that I built myself!

My first two workbenches were purchased, and this was before I took up woodworking for a hobby. They were just two 36 x 72” shop workbenches for my workshop, purchased from Grainger. In no time at all I found that they required modification in order for them to become useable. Both started sagging within a year, the laminated maple top sagged a little and the laminate covered mdf one sagged a lot, so much so that tools would roll to the center. I bolted angle iron to the bottom of the mdf bench to help keep the top flat, and added a third center leg to the maple top bench. It wasn’t long before the maple top bench had drawers added, a large shelf was added to both stiffen the bench and make a place to set tools, and finally a large shelf unit was added to the top of the back of the bench, so there would be a place to put all the things that you never put away, even though they are always in your way.

I started learning cabinet making 20 years ago. Like everyone else, I bought a book on building kitchen cabinets and started reading. After seeing how the writer went about building his designs, I decided it was way too complicated for me, and started to simplifying the process to better suit my tastes. I just wanted strong, solid, easy to build shop cabinets, ones that could be sketched out and built in a weekend.

My shop is filled with projects that mostly were started on Friday evening after work, and put into use that Sunday. My ideas are not for everyone, but you can easily change anything you like. I use plywood for face frames for shop cabinets. For office furniture and other house projects, the same construction is used, other than solid oak is used for the face frames.

I started out building cabinets out of 3/4” BC plywood, and ended up building every project out of oak ply. I just like the lack of voids, the looks, and the way it takes a simple polyurethane finish. The better wood looks great and doesn’t cost all that much more! I do occasionally use mdf for workbench tops if it is doubled two layers thick, like shown in the photos below.

My first cabinet project was built in the “European” style. That is to say that it had no face frames. The sides bowed and the drawers fell out of their tracks. Of course the design was bad and it was my fault. Even so, I have only built face frame cabinets since then. The very simple structures are extremely strong and light - until the top is added. I use a 16 gage nail gun with 1.25 -2” nails, and fill the holes with Famowood putty. The only other fasteners used are 1/4" crown x 3/4" long staples to hold the 1/4" plywood back on.

The cabinet shown below has a minimum of parts, uses a minimum of wood, and goes together very fast. The cost for a typical eight drawer workbench is around $100, if you use standard 22” drawer slides. You could build two or more for the cost of almost any purchased bench. Some of the cabinets shown in my shop tour thread have 500 or more pounds sitting on them, and all are built the same simple way. I no longer build shelves/doors below the height of the workbench top. Doors and shelves at eye level are fine, but below the top of workbench height, only drawers are used. I find that drawers hold twice as much as shelves, and they are easier to find things in. It’s just a personal preference.

The construction photos are self explanatory. Just notice the small blocks already mounted to the face frames to center the center drawer support.

Additional small blocks are in place to help locate the horizontal back stringers. You can build these cabinets any size you choose, and no drawings are necessary. I use a simple hand sketch to write down a few sizes, and start cutting out the parts.

The first photo shows a finished cabinet, and it does not look all that simple to make, until you see how few parts it takes to make the assembly.

When the 1/4” plywood back is stapled flat to the back, it squares the assembly.. Stand the cabinet up, use a carpenter square to see that the sides are square to the back before all the glue joints dry. The edges of the 1/4” back are are rounded over with a 1/4” round-over bit, and the edge of the back visually disappears: You will never notice it.

Notice the extra supports added to help keep the top from sagging. Another possibility is there are now some very nice laminated maple tops in the Grizzly catalog at reasonable prices. (A 30x60 is $160, or the 36x72 is $230.)

Normally I have already added the drawer slides before assembly starts - except when using full extension slides. (The full extension slides keep sliding out and getting in the way when rolling the carcass over.)

Tom Clark FL
09-13-2007, 7:25 PM
You could hardly call this joinery, but it is very strong and easy. The first layer of the top is glued and nailed with 2” nails all the way around the edges and middle. The second layer was glued and clamped. The edges are trimmed after the glue dries.

Simple 1/2" plywood drawers use butt joints and the 1/4” bottom is glued and stapled flush to the bottom. This really keeps the drawers very square and very quick to build. I always use slides that mount on the bottom corners of the drawers because they are so easy to mount. The false fronts are added last. The last photo shows another cabinet built in the same way except that it was mounted on 5” casters to make it easy to move around.

To keep the construction as simple as possible, the toe kick is eliminated. Having a 3-4” overhang all around accomplishes the same thing.

Having your own customized workbench, set up for the type of work you do the most, will quickly spoil you. Having almost endless room for your tools, right at your fingertips, is priceless. A custom workbench makes the most of every square inch of space!

Looking through catalogs and magazines at workbenches is always fun, but I never see anything that I would trade for what I have built. Building them at pennies on the dollar is just another benefit.

When I have guests into my shop, their first comments is always, “Where did you get all the cabinets?” The machines and other tools are a distant second…

Tom Clark FL
09-13-2007, 7:32 PM
The first bench was one of the first ones I built. It was soon replaced with the second one with all drawers. Trying to find things on the shelves on the bottom of the first bench was a real pain!

The last photo is the bench purchased years ago. I added the shelf below to help stabilize the shaky steel legs, then added the drawers, and finally the top shelves were added. They work great.

Jim Becker
09-13-2007, 7:33 PM
Tom, sometimes we have to make choices based on many things. While I'm a believer in build over buy in theory--and it's the best way to learn, there are many situations where I personally have to choose buy simply because of time availability.

Now, I have to say that bench setup is very nice and it certainly is quite functional. I have a similar design in mind for tool storage in my shop...away from the bench in my case as I have an Adjust-A-Bench setup. There is a really nice spot right behind my slider that is the perfect size for a rolling cabinet similar to your project show here!

Don Bullock
09-13-2007, 10:17 PM
Tom, I certainly commend people like you who design and build all sorts of shop furniture and jigs. The projects in your post are very nice. There are some of us, however, who lack the time to make those items and still make the types of projects that we enjoy making. I, for example, love building furniture to use in my home. That's why I have gotten back into woodworking. I also enjoy some of the carpentry work that needs to be done to maintain my house. At this point in my life I don't have the time to be making all sorts of shop furniture and jigs for the shop. Hopefully, after I retire, I'll have more time for those things as well. I'm sure that there are many here that are in the same position. I'd love to build my own woodworking bench. That's one project on my "to do" list, but for now buying the shop furniture that I have to have to do the projects that I'm working on is what's best for me.