PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my new Tormek sharpening machine

Bob Glenn
09-13-2007, 4:49 PM
The other night, I decided to sharpen a bench chisel on my new Tormek. Set up everything according to the instructions and began to grind a proper bevel on the chisel. As I began to get closer to the finished shape, I noticed the edge was not coming out square to the the chisel. It was off about five degrees.

I checked that it was mounted square in the holder, it was. I checked that the F bar was paralell to the stone, it was. Next I decided to true the grinding stone, which I hadn't done since it was new. It off a little, but not much. I also check to make sure the chisel was mounted flat in the holder.

I feel like a dummy, but I had to skew the chisel about five degrees to make the cutting edge square to the body of the chisel. Surely something has to be off with this machine, but I can't figure what it is. I think I've checked everything.

BTW, I did a plane iron using the same holder and it was okay. The only thing I can figure is the top and bottom of the chisel are not paralell.

Any thoughts? I think the chisel is a two cherries brand tool.

Steven Wilson
09-13-2007, 5:07 PM
yep, sounds normal. You sometimes need to unevenly tighten the holding knobs to get a square face. I like to take a very fine sharpie marker and mark the edge I want and then adjust before it goes to far.

Bob Glenn
09-13-2007, 5:11 PM
Thanks, I think the knob away from the squaring face was a little tighter. The top holding piece was down on that end a little more than where the chisel was clamped. I didn't think that would make a big difference as long as the back of chisel was resting on the bottom of the holding clamp.

I'll try a little different tact tonight.

Wilbur Pan
09-13-2007, 6:50 PM
The other thing to keep in mind is that you don't have to crank down on the screws in the chisel holding jig to keep the tool square. I've found that using the least amount of tightness possible is the best way to go with the Tormek.

Eddie Darby
09-13-2007, 7:55 PM
Is this the jig you were using, the SE-76?

http://www.tormek.se/en/machines/t7/index.php

I know that the old jig was touchy, so Tormek have come out with the new SE-76.
The old jig required subtle knob tensioning to get it right. Haven't heard yet about the new jig.

Jeff Farris
09-14-2007, 8:32 AM
Thanks, I think the knob away from the squaring face was a little tighter. The top holding piece was down on that end a little more than where the chisel was clamped. I didn't think that would make a big difference as long as the back of chisel was resting on the bottom of the holding clamp.

I'll try a little different tact tonight.

The condition you describe is EXACTLY what is causing your problem. Remember, we're working in three dimensions. If the tool is rolled to the left side of the jig (away from the squaring edge), even fractionally, the edge will come out skewed, even when the side of the chisel is perfectly square to the jig.

As Eddie mentioned, the new SE-76 Square Edge Jig, which is just now making it into distribution, addresses this issue with a new design where the reference is taken from the machined side if the chisel, instead of from the back. It is currently available as the standard jig in the new Tormek T-7, and will be available as an accessory in late October or early November.

However, the tool you have in your hands is perfectly capable of producing square edges, with just a slight bit of attention and correction. Just observe the edge after the bevel is established. If it is out of square, loosen the clamp on the side that is being over-ground (short point of the skewed angle) by a 1/4 turn or so and tighten the clamp on the side that is being under-ground (long point of the skewed angle) by a little more than 1/4 turn. Continue to check and adjust until a square edge is achieved.

Bob Glenn
09-14-2007, 5:17 PM
Is this the jig you were using, the SE-76?

http://www.tormek.se/en/machines/t7/index.php

I know that the old jig was touchy, so Tormek have come out with the new SE-76.
The old jig required subtle knob tensioning to get it right. Haven't heard yet about the new jig.

Yes, I guess I got the old one that came with the machine.

Bob Glenn
09-14-2007, 5:18 PM
The condition you describe is EXACTLY what is causing your problem. Remember, we're working in three dimensions. If the tool is rolled to the left side of the jig (away from the squaring edge), even fractionally, the edge will come out skewed, even when the side of the chisel is perfectly square to the jig.

As Eddie mentioned, the new SE-76 Square Edge Jig, which is just now making it into distribution, addresses this issue with a new design where the reference is taken from the machined side if the chisel, instead of from the back. It is currently available as the standard jig in the new Tormek T-7, and will be available as an accessory in late October or early November.

However, the tool you have in your hands is perfectly capable of producing square edges, with just a slight bit of attention and correction. Just observe the edge after the bevel is established. If it is out of square, loosen the clamp on the side that is being over-ground (short point of the skewed angle) by a 1/4 turn or so and tighten the clamp on the side that is being under-ground (long point of the skewed angle) by a little more than 1/4 turn. Continue to check and adjust until a square edge is achieved.

Jeff, thanks for some real help here. I'm sure with this info, I can achieve the results I'm after.

Eddie Darby
09-15-2007, 9:08 AM
This PDF comes from Jeff's site might help.

http://www.sharptoolsusa.com/squareedgeweb.pdf

Bob Glenn
09-18-2007, 11:16 AM
This PDF comes from Jeff's site might help.

http://www.sharptoolsusa.com/squareedgeweb.pdf

Thanks, Eddie. I'm sure that's the problem. Live and learn.

Kirk Howard
09-18-2007, 3:25 PM
...Live and learn.

No kidding.:) The OP describes exactly what I saw, and laboriously fixed with a waterstone, on a used LN plane blade I just bought. I could not for the life of me figure out how a perfect, complete bevel could be skewed by a few degrees.

I learn something every day here...