PDA

View Full Version : Need Recommendation or Input

Harold Beck
09-13-2007, 1:16 PM
Folks,

I have been shopping for a mid-sized belt disc sander combo and can't decide on what to choose. I have looked at the Jet, Delta and several other brands from about $100 to $450. I already have a drum sander but I am now looking for something to sand details, both round and flat.

I am looking for recommendations or warnings.

Thanks,

HB

Jim Becker
09-13-2007, 2:32 PM
I own the Grizzly G1276, which runs a bit slower than most, potentially reducing burning from friction. For a combo, it's a good value but at the top of your cost range. 12" disk + 6" x 48" belt. (I would have been better served by an edge sander in my shop as it turns out, but the G1276 is a decent tool)

nic obie
09-13-2007, 4:03 PM
I agree with Jim about getting an edge sander instead of the combo machine. Grizzly sells a 6" x 80" bench top unit for $495. I have had one for years now and even though I abuse it terribly, it's never let me down.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1531

glenn bradley
09-13-2007, 4:15 PM
Things I have learned about my combo machine and the way I work (YMMV):

- it should go slower to reduce the likelihood of burning (torque controlled VS would be cool).
- a 6" disc is nearly useless, too small.
- I should have paid more attention to how the dust collection works (poor design).
- I should have inspected the table(s) more carefully and understood how important they were to the proper use of the machine.

If I had to do it again after my $education$ - I would seriously look at an edge machine.

Harold Beck
09-14-2007, 12:17 PM
I hadn't looked at an edge sander, but it looks like it would do everything I want, and a couple of things more. Thanks for the input. I'll take a look at the edge sanders. I'd rather not buy something twice, I'd rather get what I need the first time. Gives me a chance to do some more comparison shopping!

HB

CPeter James
09-14-2007, 12:38 PM
I bought an used Jet 6x89 edge sander a couple of years ago at a going out of business sale. I did not know what I was going to do with it, but the price was right. It has turned into one of the handiest tools in my shop. Not only for edges, but also for may other tasks too. I have a ceramic belt that does a great job of shaping tool edges before sharpening and flattening a worn plane bottom on a used plane bought a a yard sale. I also have a small disk/belt sand from HF that is dedicated to sharpening turning chisels and the like. I don't think it would be much good for its intended purpose, but for what I use it for it is fine.

CPeter

Jeffrey Makiel
09-14-2007, 1:38 PM
I bought a 6x48 x 12"dia combo sander many moons ago. I sold it for a 6x89 edge sander and a little Delta 1x42 x 8" dia combo. That was 20 years ago and I'm still glad I did that.

-Jeff :)

Don Bullock
09-14-2007, 10:03 PM
I hadn't looked at an edge sander, but it looks like it would do everything I want, and a couple of things more. Thanks for the input. I'll take a look at the edge sanders. I'd rather not buy something twice, I'd rather get what I need the first time. Gives me a chance to do some more comparison shopping!

HB

I agree. Thanks to Jim and the rest of you who have pointed us in that direction. An edge sander sure looks like it would be a very useful machine.

Jim Kountz
09-14-2007, 10:13 PM
I own the Grizzly G1276,

Hey Jim hows the dust collection on this sander?

Jim Becker
09-14-2007, 10:18 PM
Hey Jim hows the dust collection on this sander?

Reasonable on the belt, but the disk has a funky oval port on the bottom that would be hard to adapt...but I've only ever used the disk once and then only so I didn't have to move the machine to get to the belt.