PDA

View Full Version : Finished cutting boards

Grant Davis
09-12-2007, 10:16 PM
I have been working on a few cutting boards this week. One for my sisters birthday, one is for a co-workers wife for their anniversary and one for mom just because I thought she needed one.

This is my first attempt at cutting boards. I was unsure of how to finish so I went to Rockler and the gentleman suggested Kerf's Wood Cream for the finish. www.kerfswoodcream.com (http://www.kerfswoodcream.com)

3 boards unfinished

Sisters board - Purple Heart and Curly Maple

Coworkers board - Oak and Walnut

Moms board - Walnut, Curly Maple and Cherry

Jim Becker
09-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Nice work, Grant! Great gifts, too.

Ken Massingale
09-13-2007, 6:41 AM
Those came out great, Grant.
ken

Paul Hendrickson
09-13-2007, 8:33 AM
Those cutting boards look great. That finish looks very similar to the mineral oil/bees wax finish I put on my wifes butcher block counter top over three years ago. It takes a lot of abuse, and only requires a light recoat every few months.

Bill Huber
09-13-2007, 8:54 AM
Grant, it is just amazing how the Wood Whisperer has effected everyone with his cutting boards.
I stated out with his site and made a few small ones and just last night I finished 3 of them of the large ones, one each for my daughters and one for the wife.

I used the Mineral Spirits and Salad Bowl finish and then topped it off with the Mineral Oil and Bees Wax.

I really like the last one, the one with Walnut, Curly Maple and Cherry, it has a really nice look to it.

Here are mine that I finished last night, I did route a little juice groove around them.
Here are a few others with some different patterns.
http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/shop

Grant Davis
09-13-2007, 9:06 AM
Very nice Bill. Yes, Mark (Wood Whisperer) has struck something in my creative side also. I really like the juice groove you put in yours. I may have to incorporate that in my next ones.

Bill Huber
09-13-2007, 10:19 AM
Very nice Bill. Yes, Mark (Wood Whisperer) has struck something in my creative side also. I really like the juice groove you put in yours. I may have to incorporate that in my next ones.

The juice groove was the hardest part of the whole thing. I started with some of my other boards to really figure out how to do it right.

What I came up with was same scrap plywood cut to the size I wanted and then rounded the corners. I use double back tape and taped it to the board and then routed it with a router guide bushing on the router.

Not taking very much of a cut on the last 2 cuts. I also had to really keep moving, do not slow down at all. I would cut an L shape and then lift the router and turn the board and cut the other end. The Purpleheart and Maple really burn easy and that was my biggest problem and sanding it out was a real bear.

The only problem I am finding now is that everyone that see one wants one. I have about 5 more to do at this point.

Jason Tuinstra
09-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Very creative. Those will make some great gifts!

Tyler Howell
09-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Who is the Wood Wisper (Mark)? Is he a creeker:confused:
I'd like to see some more of his work.
TJH

Jeff Heil
09-13-2007, 11:07 AM
http://thewoodwhisperer.com/