PDA

View Full Version : need drill press motor

George Morris
09-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Hi all I am in need of a replacement motor for a old craftsman drill press model # 103.23640. The old one is a dunlap 1/3 HP 5.4amp 1150RPM . Is there a after market motor out there? Thanks!! George

Wilbur Pan
09-12-2007, 10:29 PM
It should be pretty easy to find a motor. The main things to match up are (1) the mounting holes, which usually fall into a few standard patterns, (2) the shaft of the motor so that your pulley will fit, and (3) HP close to what you have. You could get a 1/3 HP motor, but a 1/2 HP or 3/4 HP motor will do fine as well for your drill press.

Look closely at your motor. The tag on the motor should have all of this information.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-12-2007, 11:14 PM
Wilbur's advice is pretty sage! In some cases if the manufacturer doesn't present that information in a pretty evident manner, the model number of the motor has it "encrypted" within in it. Good luck. You should be able to find a good replacement.

Allen Bookout
09-12-2007, 11:32 PM
The only other thing to watch out for that I can think of is to make sure that it either turns the correct direction for your application or that it is reversible. The last motor that I bought was from Grizzly. Northern Tool has a pretty good selection also.

Curt Harms
09-13-2007, 3:15 AM
Hi all I am in need of a replacement motor for a old craftsman drill press model # 103.23640. The old one is a dunlap 1/3 HP 5.4amp 1150RPM . Is there a after market motor out there? Thanks!! George
The tricky part might be finding an 1150 RPM motor. I think it'd be way cool to have a drill press with a 3 phase motor and VFD, but that wouldn't be all that cheap unless one were a skilled scrounger.

HTH

Curt

Wilbur Pan
09-13-2007, 9:52 AM
McMaster has 1140 RPM TEFC motors, as does Grainger. Not many of them, but all you need is one.

Greg Dykes
09-13-2007, 9:57 AM
WW Grainger is the place I would call. I have had the best luck in the past matching up motors there.

Allen Bookout
09-13-2007, 10:29 AM
How do you guys buy from Grainger? Are you commerical? The Fort Myers, Fl store will not sell to the general public. At least that is what I was told by an employee there when I tried to buy something a couple of years ago. So I have not bought anything from them for several years. After I found out that McFeely's was bought by Grainger I marked them off of my list also. That is too bad as I really liked McFeely's.

Hank Knight
09-13-2007, 10:39 AM
George,

There is a Walker Turner drill press motor in e-Bay right now. It appears to be in good shape. Those old capacitor-start motors are great. Lots of iron in their construction and, as a rule, they are much more powerful than modern motors. Search "Walker Turner" on e-Bay and you'll find it.

Hank

Ignore please - it's a 3-phase motor.

Kirk Poore
09-13-2007, 11:32 AM

George:

The motor should have a frame size listed. Staying with the same frame size should mean the mounting holes and shaft size will be the same. I agree with others that the 1150 RPM is the hard thing to find.

Kirk

Chuck Lenz
09-13-2007, 12:11 PM
George is it possible that you misread the RPM, and that it's 1750 RPM ? Unless you live in the middle of nowhere you should be able to find a motor locally. Most farm supply stores carry electric motors also.

Wilbur Pan
09-13-2007, 1:37 PM
How do you guys buy from Grainger?

If you call Grainger up, and are not a business, they should be able to put you in touch with a local dealer. I wasn't able to order parts from Grainger directly the one time I tried, but I was given the phone number of a local industrial supply house who put the order in for me.

I've also been told that setting up a "business" for yourself for this purpose is pretty easy, although I haven't tried.

Pete Bradley
09-13-2007, 2:12 PM
Almost certainly that motor is 1750, not 1150. Motors come in standard frame sizes, and as long as you match up the replacement with what's on the tag, you're good. Your Dunlap is likely a 56 frame, which is very common used as well as new. Occasionally you'll find the frame size has a suffix as in 56Y or 56Z, which means "56 frame, with something different". For a good explanation on frame sizes, see:

http://www.baldormotors.com/cowern/motorterms2.html

The original motor was good quality and unless it's totally fried, it's probably fixable. Since you're not planning to keep it, you have nothing to lose by working on it. There's lots of information on motors in the OWWM forum archives.

Pete

Bill Wyko
09-13-2007, 2:48 PM
Try a swampcooler motor. That should do it.:)