PDA

View Full Version : What's your ...

Mike Jones NM
09-12-2007, 9:48 PM
favorite thing(s) to build.
Mine would have to be "little" shelves.
Currently working on a set that is 18" wide, 22 1/2" tall and about 3 1/2" deep.
Made of maple that I harvested, milled etc.
The outside edge is the natural tree edge with a bunch of little burls.
Have found that folks love them for displaying little dust collectors.
Will post some pics when this one is finished.

glenn bradley
09-12-2007, 9:56 PM
I like anything with drawers. I like having things in their place and making drawers leads me to belive that other people do as well ;-)

David DeCristoforo
09-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Chess tables....

Dale Osowski
09-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Tables, cabinets on stand and entry doors.

Dale

Jim Becker
09-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Tables and benches...both Shaker style and Nakashima influenced.

David Duke
09-12-2007, 10:21 PM
Clocks, particularly grandfather clocks

Art Mann
09-12-2007, 10:27 PM
Jewelry boxes and clever jigs for the shop.

Chuck Lenz
09-12-2007, 10:56 PM
Have found that folks love them for displaying little dust collectors.
Will post some pics when this one is finished.
Ok, who's makeing miniature dust collectors ? What next ? ;)

Mike Jones NM
09-12-2007, 11:00 PM
Ok, who's makeing miniature dust collectors ? What next ? ;)
Those are for us folks that have minature shops and minature equipment:D

frank shic
09-12-2007, 11:07 PM
cabinets and anything associated with them like raised panel doors and drawers.

Chuck Lenz
09-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Those are for us folks that have minature shops and minature equipment:D
Lets me guess, it's a JDS ( Just Darn Small ) ;)

Earl Reid
09-12-2007, 11:33 PM
Rug toys, Clocks, Small tables, copies of old furniture,
pens :)
Earl

Jude Kingery
09-13-2007, 12:11 AM
Favorite thing to make are bowls, favorite things I like to build are decks and fence. Jude

Bill Huber
09-13-2007, 1:25 AM
At this point I have not built enough to know what I like to build best.

I just like working in the shop and taking a board and coming up with something out of it.

This I am sure will sound really dumb but I like the feel of the wood and the sound that good hardwood blocks makes when they strike against each other.

So ask the same question in about 5 years and maybe I can give you a better answer.

Mark Singer
09-13-2007, 7:50 AM
pieces with detail joinery....often handwork. These can be beds, drawers tables. Curved pieces are also challenging, such as chairs , sofas, and lamps I have made. My next project is to furnish my guest house. This should involve similar pieces. I am starting to design them now.

Keith Outten
09-13-2007, 9:45 AM
Rocking Animals

This one is my favorite of all the animals I have made.
William E. Goat...not the old goat the one with the beard :)

Chuck Lenz
09-13-2007, 9:59 AM
Thats pretty cool Keith, I like it. I think you need a old buzzard to go with the old goat. http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c89/Woodchuck_/Buzzard3.jpg

Danny Thompson
09-13-2007, 11:01 AM
Paper-thin wood shavings? . . . and practical furniture with simple lines and beautiful wood.

Rick Hubbard
09-13-2007, 11:32 AM
My number 1 favorite thing to build would be a desk (any kind);
Number 2 would be bookshelves;
Number 3- Chests of drawers;
Number 4 would be small tables (but not kitchen/dining tables)

Nobody asked, but my LEAST favorite thing to build is just about anything to do with a kitchen. I think all those "boxes" remind me of coffins, or something.

Rick

Keith Outten
09-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Thats pretty cool Keith, I like it. I think you need a old buzzard to go with the old goat.

You had to do it :)

Now I just have to make myself an old buzzard :)
Thanks for the cool idea Chuck.

Richard M. Wolfe
09-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Sawdust and cutoffs must be my favorite things. I make more of those than anything else. :D

Favorite things - stuff made from woods native to my area....no one type item in particular.

Bill Wyko
09-13-2007, 2:45 PM
Here's a few of my favorites.

Chuck Lenz
09-13-2007, 2:49 PM
HOLY CATS BILL ! Your quite the turner. I think those turnings are some of my favorites too ! ( to look at, because I know I could never do that anytime soon ) Fantastic job, absolutely beautiful.

Kris Koenig
09-13-2007, 3:07 PM
Medieval inspired portable pieces. Benches, chairs, boxes. Things that have to break apart or collapse to pack and travel. I like the challenge of making them sturdy enough to hold me, but easy enough to take apart without looking completely modern.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=62668

Bill Wyko
09-13-2007, 3:47 PM
HOLY CATS BILL ! Your quite the turner. I think those turnings are some of my favorites too ! ( to look at, because I know I could never do that anytime soon ) Fantastic job, absolutely beautiful.
Thanks Chuck very much. I don't know if you know the story behind my turning but I had never touched a lathe in my life before last December. Now I can't seem to take my hands off it.:D

Raymond Fries
09-13-2007, 4:52 PM
I do not think I have ever made the same thing twice. I am always looking for new projects and really like the variety and challenge.

This is really my way to get a bigger variety of tools. LOL

So anything wooden for me.

Bill Wyko
09-13-2007, 4:57 PM
Medieval inspired portable pieces. Benches, chairs, boxes. Things that have to break apart or collapse to pack and travel. I like the challenge of making them sturdy enough to hold me, but easy enough to take apart without looking completely modern.

Chris, that's slick! I really like that piece.

Rick Gibson
09-13-2007, 5:12 PM
Things that put a smile on my grand childrens face when they realize it is for them.

Doug Pettway
09-14-2007, 6:32 AM

agreed! those are beautiful.

my favorite items to make are guitars. i love building things that will get used in such a large variety of ways.

the next project i'd like to tackle will be a set of mission furniture for my home. i've never tried it but it looks fun and challenging.

Byron Trantham
09-14-2007, 8:47 AM
Case goods. Book cases, entertainment centers, etc.

Kris Koenig
09-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Chris, that's slick! I really like that piece.

Thanks. I have been drooling over your segmented turnings in the spinny section, too. It was fun watching the big piece come together.

Kris

Kirk Poore
09-14-2007, 12:01 PM

Nice faldstool, Kris. My favorites are also medieval stools, but mine don't break down:
http://medievaloak.com/images/Quatrefoil_Bench_4.jpg

They're easier to do now that I've got my mortiser, but doing them all by hand was good too.

Kirk
edit--Sorry the pic is so big. Andbody know how to convert that to a thumbnail? The FAQ was inconclusive...

Kris Koenig
09-14-2007, 1:39 PM
Nice faldstool, Kris. My favorites are also medieval stools, but mine don't break down:

They're easier to do now that I've got my mortiser, but doing them all by hand was good too.

Kirk
edit--Sorry the pic is so big. Andbody know how to convert that to a thumbnail? The FAQ was inconclusive...

Very nice. I like the engineering part of it as much as the woodworking I think.I like trying to figure out how to make things sturdy enough that will still break down flat or fold up.

Here are some images of a bench prototype that I made. The challenge was to do it out of a 1/4 sheet of plywood with no mechanical fasteners and have it break down flat.

It is a lot less ornamented, but it was a rushed prototype project, so I was lazy.

Kris

Rob Diz
09-14-2007, 1:46 PM
Well, my beyond making those whispy thin curls of paperthin wood using a sharp handplane, which is ALWAYS satisfying, I really enjoy making furniture for my home that I can use.

I just finished making a trestle table for my daughter to use for homework/art projects, which was fun to make.

I have tried to pick projects that challenge me to learn new skills, and ones that I can enjoy using around the house.

Having just finished my pending "fine furniture" project, I'm back to the long delayed and often put off kitchen cabinet job. Hmmm, perhaps I should learn bent wood laminations . . .

Ed Garrett
09-14-2007, 3:15 PM
For me it's one of a kind bizarre pieces of furniture with moving parts and joints/mechanical features that look impossible. Apparently I find half the fun to be lying awake at night trying to figure out how to do something complicated.

Kirk Poore
09-14-2007, 5:00 PM
Very nice. I like the engineering part of it as much as the woodworking I think.I like trying to figure out how to make things sturdy enough that will still break down flat or fold up.

Here are some images of a bench prototype that I made. The challenge was to do it out of a 1/4 sheet of plywood with no mechanical fasteners and have it break down flat.

It is a lot less ornamented, but it was a rushed prototype project, so I was lazy.

Kris

Interesting bench. Have you noticed any leg deflection which might warrant putting some hook-like overhangs at the ends of the lower rail? Is there anything (stops or slots) on the underside of the top to keep it from sliding off of the legs and top rail?

The benches I've made have turned out to be far stronger than I would have anticipated. I made a long one (4') as a prototype out of 3/4" pine. It held up me and two friends (all about 200 lbs) easily, with a little leg flex and slight sag in the center. The design is based on an original in the Victoria & Albert Museum in London. The original is plainer, but the legs and rails on this one just begged to be decorated.:)

Kirk

Vernon Taylor
09-14-2007, 9:45 PM
Anything my grandson can help with,

Jim Kilburg
09-15-2007, 9:48 AM
Anything for the grandkids. Jim

scott spencer
09-15-2007, 10:06 AM
Simple hall tables are big on the effort/reward ratio, but are typically low on the "looky what I did" scale compared to a big undertaking like an armoire or large clock. They're a great project to bang out in a weekend for those times when I just need to complete something without tearing too much hair out of my head. Guess I'm due for one of those soon! ;)

Kris Koenig
09-15-2007, 8:00 PM
Interesting bench. Have you noticed any leg deflection which might warrant putting some hook-like overhangs at the ends of the lower rail? Is there anything (stops or slots) on the underside of the top to keep it from sliding off of the legs and top rail?

The benches I've made have turned out to be far stronger than I would have anticipated. I made a long one (4') as a prototype out of 3/4" pine. It held up me and two friends (all about 200 lbs) easily, with a little leg flex and slight sag in the center. The design is based on an original in the Victoria & Albert Museum in London. The original is plainer, but the legs and rails on this one just begged to be decorated.:)

Kirk

The bench top has a 1 1/2" strip around the bottom edge. There are grooves cut in for the tops of the legs to slot into. The top cross rail also fits into a slot in either end of the strip.

The mortise for the cross piece in the legs is cut the same width as the tenon and then the ends are beveled to 10 degrees so that the tenons go in at 90 degrees, and then the legs are canted in at the top. The top brace then slips down over the top of the legs with a half lap. The top indexes right onto the leg assembly.

I have stood on the top of the leg assembly with and without the top and danced around a little bit. It didn't move at all, and I weigh around 325 lbs. The top is only about 30 inches long, and the legs are only angled 10 degrees, so it is very strong.

Kris

Jim Dunn
09-15-2007, 11:15 PM
Something that I can use in the shop to build other things. Jigs and fixtures are my favorite. Cabinets are next on that list, if they have doors and drawers.