PDA

View Full Version : Moldy Estwings

Lance Norris
09-12-2007, 9:04 PM
I have 2 leather handled Estwing hammers that are in my basement shop. Every so often, the handles get moldy. The shop is fairly dry, with a de-humidifyer running. Has anyone ever had this problem and if so, how did you correct it? I know the handles are dipped in a finish of some sort when new, but this finish wears off with use and abuse. I wont use any other hammer, so maybe the blue handled Estwings are the only solution.

josh bjork
09-12-2007, 9:40 PM
Maybe it isn't as dry as you think it is? If your dehumidifier, like mine, never stops running, what is the real humidity down there?

Maurice Ungaro
09-13-2007, 9:35 AM
Lance,
It could be humidity, but you also need to have the air in the shop moving around. Maybe a fan? With regard to the mold on the Estwing handles, the best method for removing the mold is to give the affected parts a wipe down with a veinegar moistened rag. Apple cider vinegar is best. The vinegar kills the mold and prevents it from coming back for a period of time. Best thing is that it's natural, and doesn't harm the leather. If you want, you can follow up with a leather preservative, like Lexol, Ballistol, etc.

Good luck!

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-13-2007, 10:57 AM
Sort of:

I have a pair of Asolo Yukon hiking boots ( broken in). During a bad period they got stored in a wet basement.

The got mold inside. Thick heavy mold

I also had a very nice horse saddle that got molded too.

I filled the boots with straight bleach and let 'em set a while. then rinsed 'em with vinegar and then with baking soda & water

I scrubbed the saddle with motor oil

Both solutions effected permanent cures.

Of course I had to get them away from the mold source

Maurice Ungaro
09-13-2007, 3:05 PM
Cliff,
I still have my pair of Asolo hiking boots I got when I was 17. They're 29 years old now and still serviceable! Leather can last when proper steps are taken, drastic, or otherwise.

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-13-2007, 6:07 PM
Cliff,
I still have my pair of Asolo hiking boots I got when I was 17. They're 29 years old now and still serviceable! Leather can last when proper steps are taken, drastic, or otherwise.

Hey another Asolo owner. Woo Hoo~!!
Now all we need is some one who has a pair of original Peter Limmer's.

My boots have climbed every peak in the East over 4000' and a lot of those that aren't.

They don't like resoling. I have had two. I think I may not get a third.

Lance Norris
09-13-2007, 8:56 PM
With regard to the mold on the Estwing handles, the best method for removing the mold is to give the affected parts a wipe down with a veinegar moistened rag. Apple cider vinegar is best. The vinegar kills the mold and prevents it from coming back for a period of time. Best thing is that it's natural, and doesn't harm the leather. If you want, you can follow up with a leather preservative, like Lexol, Ballistol, etc.

Good luck!
Thanks, I will try this. I really like the leather handles, and the larger Estwing has sentimental value because my father bought this hammer for me over 30 years ago.

Lance Norris
09-13-2007, 8:57 PM
I scrubbed the saddle with motor oil

Interesting idea.

josh bjork
09-13-2007, 10:27 PM
Interesting idea.

I was still caught up on the pure bleach in the boots.

I worked in a lab for a short time and 5-10% clorox style bleach will kill mold spores just fine, unless you want to lighten up some dark footwear.