PDA

View Full Version : Difference between single sided and double sided sawblade?

Allen Bookout
09-12-2007, 8:56 PM
I need a laminate and melamine blade. The Freud blades listed on Amazon that Chris Smith pointed us to (30% Off Freud Saw Blades) shows a Single Sided Laminate and Melamine blade (LU98R010) and a Doulbe Sided Laminate and Melamine blade (LU97M010). From the discription it appears that they do the same job. What is the difference?

Jim Becker
09-12-2007, 10:18 PM
One is engineered to be "cleaner" cutting on the bottom when you are using sheet stock with finished surfaces on both sides.

Allen Bookout
09-12-2007, 10:36 PM
Thanks Jim! So I suppose that the double sided blade would be the cleanest cutting on the top and bottom. Is that right?

joe greiner
09-13-2007, 7:12 AM
Thanks Jim! So I suppose that the double sided blade would be the cleanest cutting on the top and bottom. Is that right?

Probably the other way around. I'd never heard of single-sided blades until now, and I'm guessing at the physical difference. I can see an advantage in placing the side without tooth set on the workpiece side of the cut, and the side with set on the waste side. I might be way off base, of course, but who cares what happens on the waste side?

Joe

Charles McCracken
09-13-2007, 7:39 AM

Allen,

You are correct. The double-sided blade has a less aggressive hook angle to reduce chip out on the exit side of the cut. The single sided blade feeds more easily but would have more tendency to chip out on the bottom so it is better suited to materials that are only laminated on one face (like counter tops). So for melamine the LU97 is the better choice. For the very best cut quality you should opt for a HiATB blade like the LU80R010. The difference is that the HiATB of the LU80 cuts a little better but the TCG of the LU97 is the most durable. If you will be cutting a LOT of material go for the TCG.

Allen Bookout
09-13-2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks for chiming in guys. I appreicate you jumping in Charles M. with your expertise. Since I do not have a lot of it to cut it looks like the LU80R010 would be the best blade for me.