PDA

View Full Version : Using a forstner bit

Craig Hogarth
09-12-2007, 8:34 PM
I need to inlay a coin into a plaque and figured that's what forstner bits are for. I don't have a drill press and was wondering if there's a trick or attachment that can be used on a hand drill to get a specific depth.

Or are there any other suggestions that would be reasonably inexpensive?

Thanks!!

glenn bradley
09-12-2007, 8:38 PM
Does a friend or neighbor have a drill press? I have used them by hand by drilling a hole through a piece of scrap on the drill press and then clamping this piece to my work piece. The downside of this is you have no real sense of depth (I was doing through-holes). I would never recommend using a forstner without a DP or a guide that totally controls the bit though I am sure folks do it.

John Buzzurro
09-13-2007, 11:50 AM
Hi Craig,

A drill press is your best choice with a forstner bit, but if you really can't get access to one, there are drill press guides like this one (http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3121).

Another alternative is to use a router with a mortising bit of the correct size.

Doug Shepard
09-13-2007, 12:02 PM
I got one like John linked to, but Rockler has this too and it's a bit less money.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2406

Gary Keedwell
09-13-2007, 12:45 PM
I have the one from Rockler. I used it on my work bench. Works fine.

Gary K.

Lee Schierer
09-13-2007, 2:26 PM
Okay, I will take the co ntrary point of view here, depending upon what size forstner bit you plan to use, you can use them with a hand drill at slow speed. I've done this more than once with no problems using a 3/4" bit to make a recess for a penny on a completed piece.

Place the center spur on the point where you want the center to be, press down lightly. As the bit point sinks into the wood and the edges start to touch align the drill with the surface so you get an even cut all the way around at the edges. Then press firmly as the bit cuts into the wood. Boring shallow holes is pretty easy and completely safe. Forstner bits like running slow so don't go too fast.

Warren Clemans
09-13-2007, 2:43 PM
How about making a depth stop by attaching a hose clamp around the bit? You'd need to make sure it doesn't mar the workpiece (masking tape on the wood before drilling?) and go extra slow (variable speed drill would be a must). Maybe worth a try.