PDA

View Full Version : What about safety equipment???

Doug M Jones
09-12-2007, 6:44 PM
I just made the move from dial up to high speed and have been looking at turning videos on Utube. Is it just me or is anyone else bothered by the lack of safety equipment while turning. Some of the turners are properly equipped but a great many are not. I know it's a free country but it could give the wrong impression to new turners.

My $.02.

Jim Becker
09-12-2007, 8:30 PM
I share your concern, Doug...we are each perfectly capable of making such decisions for ourselves, but when we are demonstrating to others, it's best to follow safety "best practices". Many folks seem to forget that...

This past week, the framing crew finished up their work on our addition. I was home all week on vacation. I was, for the most part, the only one wearing safety glasses as I was in the shop all week. The pros were using nail guns and other tools with zero eye protection...their choice, of course, but it still bothered me!

glenn bradley
09-12-2007, 8:41 PM
It is sad. Private internet videos have no controls for such things, nor do private citizens. It is up to the viewer to realize, as you did, that safety should always come first. I for one have no plans on becoming a statistic. Its just not necessary.

Dennis Peacock
09-12-2007, 8:53 PM
It is sad. Private internet videos have no controls for such things, nor do private citizens. It is up to the viewer to realize, as you did, that safety should always come first. I for one have no plans on becoming a statistic. Its just not necessary.

Exactly.!!!!! That's why I wear my faceshield when I'm at the lathe.

Neal Addy
09-12-2007, 9:38 PM
Couldn't agree more. I ALWAYS wear my faceshield when I'm watching YouTube.

Jim Becker
09-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Couldn't agree more. I ALWAYS wear my faceshield when I'm watching YouTube.

I guess that is very effective in keeping the spittle from hitting the PC screen... :o :p

Fred Conte
09-12-2007, 10:31 PM
As a newbie I made a little chart that hangs right in front of my lathe - this is from Keith Rowley's book...it's just a little reminder until it becomes second nature.:)

THINK SAFETY!

S – Speed - Is it compatible with the size of the wood to be turned?
A - Aside - Stand out of the “Firing Line”
F – Fastened - Are all locking handles secured?
E - Eye Protection - Goggles and Faceshield
R – ROTATE - The wood “freehand” to ensure it spins freely

Fred

Ernie Nyvall
09-12-2007, 10:57 PM
It doesn't really bother me. Before I bought my lathe I had seen people turn without any protection, but I didn't copy them. I think it's up to the new turner or new anything to find out what it takes to do something safely. It's their responsibility.

Jim Becker
09-13-2007, 8:52 AM
I think it's up to the new turner or new anything to find out what it takes to do something safely. It's their responsibility.

Yes, it is ultimately their responsibility, but as humans we tend to learn from others, even when the "teacher" is showing a poor example. I think that's what Doug is trying to point out with this thread.

Jason Christenson
09-13-2007, 10:56 AM
I have to say that this doesn't bother me at all. I figure it's my business whether I use every possible piece of safety equipment or none at all. The same goes for those guys posting on YouTube. Besides, I like to be able to hear what they are saying, which would be tough if they were wearing respirators.

This seems like a perfect opportunity to point everyone to my video shop tour and encourage everyone to put one of there own up!

Click here! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5tABY4q5gA)

Jason