PDA

View Full Version : Sabotage by my 2 year old

Chris Costello
09-12-2007, 5:38 PM
My little girl got to my keyboard with X3 open

I've been fighting with the computer now for about 2 hours......Rage is building.......this should be so easy, but I can't figure it out.

Here's my problem. I can no longer drag an object (or text) like I used to.
After selecting an object, I should be able to grab it by placing the arrow over the center node, and holding down the left mouse button. Then, while continuing to hold down the left mouse button, move the mouse to reposition the object.
Now, when I grab the center node and move the mouse in any direction, it starts to create a box, which disappears as soon as I let go of the left key.
I can still grab any of the nodes on the sides or corner of the object to stretch it, enlarge, or shrink it. I just can't move it.
I can grab the object with the right mouse key, and then move the mouse, which results in a dialogue box popping up to ask "copy here" or "move here" That still works, but it's like doing something left handed to me.

I have reset all the default settings on the mouse a couple times. I've searched throughthe help menus and my user guide. I've even tried the mouse and pen on my wacom tablet. They all do the same thing.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Craig Hogarth
09-12-2007, 5:49 PM
My initial thoughts is that she locked the object, which can be unloced in the object manager docker.

Chris Costello
09-12-2007, 6:04 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. After digging through the user guide, I thought that might be it also. But i've opened and closed X3 and created new objects, and it still acts the same. If I close X3, I can still drag icons around on my desktop like always. I know that it's just one dumb switch somewhere, but I sure can't find it.

Bruce Volden
09-12-2007, 6:21 PM
I don't have X3, but will that version load to factory default when the F8 key is depressed during application load??? I have had to do this before when my 2 yr old goofs something up (ME):D But I'm running CD11.

Bruce

Chris Costello
09-12-2007, 6:36 PM
Craig and Bruce,

Thanks for replying. I just restarted the computer, and it's working like it used too. Who knows what she did.

It's a good thing for my little cyber terrorist that she is just too young to prosecute.

Have a good night guys.

Darren Null
09-12-2007, 6:43 PM
X3has a number of startup modes, including last document used (with all settings therein). Have you tried closing the document and trying with a new blank one?

To unlock objects
1. Select a locked object or group of objects.

2. Click Arrange, and then click one of the following:

• Unlock object

• Unlock all objects

• You can also unlock an object by right-clicking it and clicking Unlock object.

From Corel help. That's all I could find that looked appropriate.

EDIT too slow! Glad you got sorted.

Steven Smith
09-12-2007, 7:10 PM
Chris, My two year old was doing exactly this kind of stuff. I turned around and she's now 17 and away in college. Enjoy the short voyage. fwiw cheers.

Stephen Beckham
09-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Chris - I know you're good now - but I've had very similar responses with my wireless mouse - turns out the battery was going dead. It only seemed to cause issues with X3 and the click to select button. Everything else seemed to work fine....

Enjoy that two year old... Don't forget to call the J. Edgar building to have her put on a watchlist...

Bill Cunningham
09-13-2007, 8:30 PM
THATS why it's called the "Terrible Twos" :D

Reminds me of the old commercial where the kid slips a grilled cheese sandwich into the VCR:eek: