PDA

View Full Version : Here's a little curio box I was commissioned to do (new pics)

Bill Wyko
09-12-2007, 4:09 PM
Most of you know me as a turner but I do a little flat work too.This box is made of Quilted Maple, Bloodwood and a little Walnut. It measures 13x4.5x9.5. It also has wooden hinges now pictured:D Critiques are welcome.
Almost forgot. The finish is 4 coats of Tung oil then Minwax.:o

Matt Campbell
09-12-2007, 4:11 PM
Bill, that's a great looking box. Honestly speaking, I wouldn't like it without the walnut. I think it does a great job of blending the contrasting colors of the wood and maple.

Mark Valsi
09-12-2007, 4:15 PM
WOW, BILL.

very nice, I love the jointery (joinery?)

DId you use Incra equipment ?

richard poitras
09-12-2007, 4:17 PM
Very nice work, even though you said you’re a turner, I thing box making my be your second thing you will be know for …

Tony Ward
09-12-2007, 4:49 PM
Very nice work. It will, without doubt become a treasured item by the new owner!

Gary Keedwell
09-12-2007, 4:51 PM
Wow...that is a great looking box. I recently acquired some bloodwood, and can't wait to incorporate it into something special.:p
Gary K.

Chuck Lenz
09-12-2007, 4:52 PM
That looks great Bill.

Richard M. Wolfe
09-12-2007, 5:48 PM
Nice piece, Bill. I like the choice of woods and the slightly rounded corners that give it a little of an art deco look.

glenn bradley
09-12-2007, 5:53 PM
Very nice Bill. I don't usually do smaller stuff. I did a few small boxes as gifts and got to learn how very different they are than dresser carcases ;-)

I found I rather enjoy the handwork and detail and imagine I'll continue learning on these. I really like the wood combination on yours.

Jason Tuinstra
09-12-2007, 6:24 PM
Bill, the box is nice display of your craftsmanship and your attention to detail. The contrast of the woods and the use of figure really sets this one apart. Nice job.

Bill Arnold
09-12-2007, 6:44 PM
Bill,

Beautiful work! Your choice of materials really blends well and the finish is fantastic!

Bill Wyko
09-12-2007, 7:05 PM
Thank you all so very much. I really enjoy building pieces like this. I'll probably be posting a few more before X-Mas. I need to make about 4 or 5 for gifts this season. You are all a great bunch.:)

Pat Zabrocki
09-12-2007, 7:38 PM
Outstanding work! I like your choice of woods and it looks to be very well executed. I've been meaning to do some boxes and you've given me a welcome reminder to get going.

cheers
Pat

Ralph Okonieski
09-12-2007, 7:40 PM
Beautiful box.! Contrasting woods are wondeful. You have great taste and skill.

Don Pierson
09-12-2007, 8:21 PM
Beautiful box...design, woods, colors, finish, and your skill really shows!
Your customer will be happy!

Bill Wyko
09-12-2007, 8:24 PM
Beautiful box...design, woods, colors, finish, and your skill really shows!
Your customer will be happy!
I hope he likes it......he works for me.:D If not.......he's fired:eek: JK

Jim Becker
09-12-2007, 8:46 PM
That's a beauty, Bill...really wonderful contrast, interest and detail.

Ron Jones near Indy
09-12-2007, 9:20 PM
Superb work there Bill! I think everyone would be proud to own and display that beautiful art.

Jeffrey Makiel
09-12-2007, 9:27 PM
Bill,
That's some beautiful craftmanship and a wonderful choice of wood colors. Well done!
-Jeff :)

Don Bullock
09-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Bill, that's a beauty!!! You certainly do a fantastic job on your "flat work."

Cary Swoveland
09-13-2007, 1:47 AM
A very nice box, Bill. Great design, choice of woods, joinery, finish. You said the hinges were made of wood. How did you make them?

Cary

Paul Hendrickson
09-13-2007, 3:18 AM
Very nice indeed. I like how the sharp edge of the box joint contrasts with the rounded edge of the mitre joint. I have tried several boxes and did not like them much at all. The proportions of the top seem thicker than what I have tried, and yet I like this much better. As to finish, I absolutely love tung oil. It seems to make every piece of wood better.

Wish I could see this in person, especially the hinges. Hope you share pictures of them.

Grant Davis
09-13-2007, 7:37 AM
That is beautiful.

Greg Cole
09-13-2007, 8:58 AM
Bill,
Looks like you've got the Incra System doing what ya paid for it to do. I remember you posting about the double-double box joint. Looks like you have it mastered.
Very nice combination of materials there.
I've been too busy with exterior projects all summer, so my Incra hasn't been used for anything much, but cooler weather brings me shop time and seeing your boxes makes me itchy to get back in the shop!

Cheers.
Greg

Bill Wyko
09-13-2007, 12:05 PM
A very nice box, Bill. Great design, choice of woods, joinery, finish. You said the hinges were made of wood. How did you make them?

Cary
First I'd like to say thanks again for all the wonderful compliments. As far as the hinges go, I use the INCRA Hinge crafter. It has detailed instructions on how to do it on the router. It's a little tricky to get them just right but worth the effort. Here's some pics of the hinges.

Ryan Bess
09-13-2007, 12:11 PM
The attention to detail on this small piece is phenomenal, it really is exceptional work. The patience it must take to do a box like this....wow.

Bill Wyko
09-13-2007, 1:54 PM
Thanks, it took me 3 weekends at my leisure and a few nights after work to get it just right. Now I need to build about 4 or 5 more for X-Mas gifts.:o

Jeff Considine
09-13-2007, 3:09 PM
Great work! I especially like the hinges, somehow a metal hinge just wouldn't work there, particularly after seeing the wood hinges. profiles on the top and foot really pull the whole thing together for me too.

Jeff

Bill Wyko
09-13-2007, 3:44 PM
The top has a little story to it. When I was routering the shape I had a blowout that required me to make a deeper cut. When I did that the upper edge was about 1/4 inch which was much too bold. Then I rembered Norm doing an on edge cut at 15degrees. So that's what I did and it made the look of the box come alive. It softened the look and really added an elegance I've never had before. I'll be applying this technique more in the future. This really saved my arse.:D