PDA

View Full Version : Age of used planes

Steve Rybicki
09-12-2007, 4:08 PM
I've seen a lot of advise to get the older pre-world warII planes when buying a used Stanley. How do I know if a plane is pre-world war II?

David Weaver
09-12-2007, 4:24 PM
Check out a "type study". There are some planes that are shortly after WWII that are fine, too. Obviously, stay away from any hard plastic handles and planes that say "made in england" on them. I suppose they could be fettled to be something good, but they're not going to be worth anything if you decide to sell them.

It looks like boatloads of information, but once you "type" a couple, you'll be able to spot what you want in most cases, and if you're unsure, you'll be able to take the iron off and look at the frog and tell.

http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/dating/ts_1_frame.html

jonathan snyder
09-12-2007, 4:27 PM
Steve,

Try this site for a type study (http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/dating/type_study.html)

There are lots of fraken-planes out there , so it may not be possible to type and date every plane. For a a user, I stay away from anything which does not have frog adjustment, or that has a kidney hole lever cap, but that is just my preference. Other may disagree and YMMV.

Jonathan

Mark Stutz
09-12-2007, 6:05 PM
Steve,
One of the big problems encountered when dealing with the post war Stanley's is the inconsistency. Sometimes you get one that turns out great, and other times you're better using it as a door stop. I have one of the dreaded Type 20's (blue) that I tuned, with a Hock blade, that can produce .001 shavings, though I think that is the exception rather than the rule.

Markark

Bill Houghton
09-12-2007, 7:40 PM
Look at the rear tote (handle). If it's a true oval in shape (no flat sides), it's worth picking the plane up and looking more closely. Flat sides = walk on by for me.

Steve Rybicki
09-12-2007, 8:36 PM
Thanks for all the tips. I have a better idea of what to look for now.

Martin Cash
09-13-2007, 2:32 AM
Check out a "type study". There are some planes that are shortly after WWII that are fine, too. Obviously, stay away from any hard plastic handles and planes that say "made in england" on them. I suppose they could be fettled to be something good, but they're not going to be worth anything if you decide to sell them.

http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/dating/ts_1_frame.html

Stanley planes made in England, often have a much thicker casting in the plane body and sole.
This gives them extra heft over equivalent USA models. It is easy to tell the difference by eye without resorting to taking measurements.
In Australia these planes are sometimes sold as premium planes for this reason, and as a result they are sought after as excellent user planes.
Regards
MC:):):)

Mike Henderson
09-13-2007, 6:56 PM
My limited experience with "Made in England" Stanley planes has not been very good. The irons would not hold an edge well and the planes were not made as well as early 20th century USA made Stanley planes. Note that my experience was with modern "Made in England" Stanley planes - planes made within the last 10-20 years. This is certainly not to denigrate English manufacturing - but I suspect the modern English made Stanley planes simply do not have the same emphasis on quality as the early 20th century USA made Stanley planes.

I'm sure that if you get a good one, it will be an excellent user plane.

Mike

Ryan Cathey
09-13-2007, 7:05 PM
I had the same problem when I started out and actually just looked at a type study and wrote a few key facts down. I carried that around with me in my wallet for a while and now it's just second nature. I can spot a nice plane across the room.

Martin Cash
09-14-2007, 2:39 AM
My limited experience with "Made in England" Stanley planes has not been very good. The irons would not hold an edge well and the planes were not made as well as early 20th century USA made Stanley planes. Note that my experience was with modern "Made in England" Stanley planes - planes made within the last 10-20 years. This is certainly not to denigrate English manufacturing - but I suspect the modern English made Stanley planes simply do not have the same emphasis on quality as the early 20th century USA made Stanley planes.

I'm sure that if you get a good one, it will be an excellent user plane.

Mike

Mike is right.
You often find that Stanley planes from US or UK manufactured in the last 20 years or so, simply do not show the quality or attention to detail of their forebears.
Stanley UK Planes prior to this, were as well made as their cousins from across the pond, but with the advantage of the heavier casting.
When you find an example of this style you will still have to examine it as closely as you would a US made plane of the same vintage.
If it has not been mistreated or abused, it will generally make an excellent user.
As I mentioned earlier, they are often sought after because of their extra mass.
If I get time this weekend I'll post some pix to show you what I mean.
Regards

Martin Cash
09-15-2007, 11:13 PM
As I mentioned earlier, they are often sought after because of their extra mass.
If I get time this weekend I'll post some pix to show you what I mean.
Regards

OK I have managed to capture some comparisons between Stanley-USA and Stanley-England planes.
In each case the US plane is on the left and the English plane to the right.
The first two pix are each of Stanley 4 1/2's.
the second pair are Stanley 5 1/2's.
The last one is of Stanley number 6's.
You can see the extra thickness of the castings in each case.
Happy viewing

After posting I noticed that the pictures have been displayed in the following order first row left to right: 5 1/2, 4 1/2, 4 1/2, 5 1/2, second row: 6
This isn't the order I loaded them, however you get the idea.

Bob Smalser
09-16-2007, 10:17 AM
In my post on the Stanley #5 I have a link to Johnnie Kelso's new pictoral Type Study. The best I've seen yet for general use.

Steve Rybicki
09-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Martin, this is a significant difference. Do the bottoms show the same variance?

Martin Cash
09-17-2007, 3:34 AM
Martin, this is a significant difference. Do the bottoms show the same variance?
Hi Steve,
There is a minor thickness difference in the bases of the planes but it is not really significant.
The real difference is, as you can see, in the thickness of the sides and of course where the sides join the sole.
You can see why woodworkers prefer them, for the mass that they present to the work.
If you can find one in reasonable condition in the US - buy it, as it seems it will be selling more cheaply then the American product.
In Australia, they are sought after and often sell for more than their US cousins.
Happy planing

Steve Rybicki
09-17-2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks Martin.

Everyone in this thread provided great information. I appreciate the help.