PDA

View Full Version : Making Plantation Shutters

BOB OLINGER
09-12-2007, 1:51 PM
Wow!! I just found this site - it's fantastic! Can anyone recomend a shaper, molder, planer, other to cut the slats for plantation shutters. Using Woodline's shutter set on the router is one option, but appears a little slow/clumsy if I need to make very many. I purchased Norm's video and plans, but they don't list equipment suppliers. Or, does anyone know of a supplier of pre-made slats. The slat production appears to be the biggest challenge in making the shutters. Thanks.

Bob O.

Alex Berkovsky
09-12-2007, 2:57 PM
Bob,
See if this helps:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=64102

Rich Torino
09-12-2007, 6:07 PM
Bob,
If I remember correctly the moulder that Norm has is a williams&hussey. Not cheap.. somewhere around $1600-$2000

Keith Outten
09-12-2007, 7:53 PM
I own a Shop Fox/Grizzly GO552 that is a W&H style molder/planer. At $995.00 this is an excellent machine. W&H knives and accessories will fit the Shop Fox molder/planer so there is a great selection available. Lots of power and a very quiet machine.

This one gets my highest rating!

Fred Floyd
09-24-2007, 3:48 AM
I'm in the last stages of my first set of plantation shutters. Largely, I'm following Norm's plans. I opted for the ShopFox moulder after wasting several weekends and a lot of stock with the router bit method. Once I had the moulder and a set of knives, the slats became a non-issue.

Things I found that needed modification:
The control bars as specified are delicate, but they warped badly and those that didn't, the nails blew through. So, I increased the width of the control to about 3/4 inch. That seemed to solve the problem.

I use the shelf pins from Prof Hardware and found that the hole made with the B-bit was too small. I ended redrilling all the holes at 1/4. That seemed to reduce the effort to move the louvers. The pins varied quite a bit in size as well. One thing consistent. They were all larger than the hole made by the recommended B-bit.

Also, I used the staple gun that was specified in the plan. The Porter Cable staples were inconsistent in depth. I had some Bostitch staples that worked much better.

I made the jigs, but had to fuss with them for quite a while to get the depth pretty close to right.

The key to the whole project was making the louvers, though.

I made mine out of poplar and sprayed with acrylic enamel (Benjamin Moore) I did the primer and 3 coats before assembly. It is clear that at least one more coat will be necessary after assembly.

I opted for less expensive hinges. The ones Norm used were 18.50/pr. My first room has three windows 50h x 69w, so I designed a bi-fold setup that results in 4 panels on each window.

Also, Norm didn't really go into the mounting. I had to spend some time on designing a surface mount moulding that looked decent. I ended up with an architectural moulding router bit that did nicely. In the future, however, I'm going to use the moulder to make the frames -- gotta get some return on that investment.

I have some interim photos, but they're too big. Gotta get out the photoshop to edit them before posting.

Jeff Wright
09-24-2007, 7:28 AM
I have some interim photos, but they're too big. Gotta get out the photoshop to edit them before posting.

Fred, I used to use my PhotoShop to resize but placed the following website link in my Favorites and find it's easier to just use this free tool:

http://www.resize2mail.com/

BOB OLINGER
10-01-2007, 4:57 PM
Thanks to all for their comments on their experiences.

J. Greg Jones
10-01-2007, 6:42 PM
I'm getting ready to start making shutters for a room in my house-looking forward to seeing pictures of what others have done.

Richard DiCerb
02-01-2008, 8:08 AM
These work great if you want to do a bunch. I just put this up on craiglist.

Ed O'Neill
02-01-2008, 8:43 AM
A few years ago I subscribed to Woodworking Video Magazine (since has gone under). The very first issue had instructions and a clever way to make the slats using a small planer. See if anyone on the site has a copy that you could buy or use. I'd send you mine but I sold the entire set. Good Luck. Ed

michael paschal
04-11-2008, 3:23 AM
can anyone explain how to make the plantation shutters that are concave or half circle

Joe Chritz
04-11-2008, 5:00 AM
Depending on what you have for equipment already take a serious look at the woodmaster combo machines.

I looked seriously at them when I was looking for a drum sander. Sometimes I wish I got one just for the moulder head.

Joe

Rob Neil
06-22-2009, 10:53 PM
I own a Shop Fox/Grizzly GO552 that is a W&H style molder/planer. At $995.00 this is an excellent machine. W&H knives and accessories will fit the Shop Fox molder/planer so there is a great selection available. Lots of power and a very quiet machine.

This one gets my highest rating!

I have been trying to find this machine with no luck. Is there a comparable model out there you can refer me to?

Ed Bamba
06-23-2009, 12:16 AM
Wow!! I just found this site - it's fantastic! Can anyone recomend a shaper, molder, planer, other to cut the slats for plantation shutters. Using Woodline's shutter set on the router is one option, but appears a little slow/clumsy if I need to make very many. I purchased Norm's video and plans, but they don't list equipment suppliers. Or, does anyone know of a supplier of pre-made slats. The slat production appears to be the biggest challenge in making the shutters. Thanks.

Bob O.

I did some research on pre-made slats and found a place locally that can supply all the wood members needed for the shutters and frame. Here is the address:http://www.petermanlumber.com/index.html. All the components are sold by linear foot. If you have a shop in town that makes custom shutters, you may also have a supplier for that shop, in town. That's what the yard here does, and is willing to sell me as little, or as much premilled components as I need.

To those who have made shutters, what method, or setup, did you use for drilling equally spaced holes in the stiles for the slats?

Ed

Ben Abate
06-23-2009, 6:28 AM
Fellows,

Would it be possible for some of you who have had success in building your shutters to post a few pictures of them. I'm interested in seeing if you have individualized them somehow. For example different size stile and rail and so on. This fall I'm thinking of building quite a few sets for some very large windows.

thank you
Ben

Brian Arnold
06-23-2009, 7:08 PM
Another option to people having trouble making the slats is to stop by a wood shop that does mill work. Their moulder could turn out enough slats to make all your shutters in minutes. The price won't be bad since they buy lumber at bulk prices. Talk to them, make friends, and save yourself some trouble.

Simon Cole
03-29-2011, 5:47 PM
I have woodmaster 918 made very nice slats with knife & matching tray knife!!!

Jim Rimmer
03-29-2011, 9:02 PM
Simon, welcome to the Creek. Lots of good folks here and lots of good info.

BOB OLINGER
03-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Boy, a lot of water over the dam since I made the first post on this subject. I ended up making close to 30 plantation shutters, various sizes depending on the windows, all from red oak. I still have close to 15 more in process, all significantly larger, from poplar for a daughter. I can't describe how much help contributors on this site were - starting with purchase of the molding machine, great source of hardwood (and close), source of molding knives, dust collection, on-and-on. Thanks to all!!!!!!!

Joe Cowan
03-30-2011, 11:09 AM
I made one shutter. The woodworking part came out well. The painting part was a disaster as I do not have the equipment or skills to spray paint. I ordered the rest of what I wanted for my house and went onto to other projects.

Gregory Heard
04-11-2011, 7:24 PM
Bob,

Where did you purchase your knives? I need some 3 1/2 " ones to fit a Belsaw.

Greg

John Toigo
04-11-2011, 9:59 PM
For those of you interested in this sort of thing here's an interesting machine I picked up @ a flat belt millshop that had closed. It cuts round tennons on the end of the louvers for shutters. Basic operation is to run off the louver stock in the moulder or shaper in long lengths. Then it goes to this machine which gets set up with a length stop so that the stock runs through the head from left to right. When you depress the foot pedal the machine engages & rotates the stock cutting two round tennons & cutting the piece on the right to length. Here are some pics:

BOB OLINGER
04-12-2011, 8:29 AM
Greg,

I got my knives from Tim Yunger at www.customouldingknives.com. He is located in Shaftsbury, VT; phone (802) 753-7105. I highly recommend him. Check out his website. FYI, I'm not familiar with a Belsaw, but for my application on my ShopFox moulder, I purchased the knives from the highest quality steel Tim offered (I believe he calls it a black steel) - I was not disappointed as the knives seemed to hold up well. I've bought 3 different sets and good results with all.

Ben Abate
04-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Greg,

I got my knives from Tim Yunger at www.customouldingknives.com. He is located in Shaftsbury, VT; phone (802) 753-7105. I highly recommend him. Check out his website. FYI, I'm not familiar with a Belsaw, but for my application on my ShopFox moulder, I purchased the knives from the highest quality steel Tim offered (I believe he calls it a black steel) - I was not disappointed as the knives seemed to hold up well. I've bought 3 different sets and good results with all.

Bob,

I have the same molder that you have. What size are the knives that you bought? Did Tim carry them or did you have them custom ground? Also; I'll assume you made a sled to carry the slat through the molder? And if so is it like the one in the link?

Hope I didn't ask you too many questions

Ben

BOB OLINGER
04-12-2011, 1:42 PM
Hey Ben,

I'm at work without access to my file or measuring, but I think the slats I made were about 3" wide. I'll check. Anyway, Tim had a couple slat profiles, maybe more by now - he will email or fax you a drawing showing the profile prior to you placing an order. He has a lot of profiles on his website, but not all. I think he makes everything to order as he'll ask what kind of steel you want and what brand/model of moulding machine. Again, I'm not a bit disappointed that all my orders were for the black nitrite steel - I ran a lot of red oak and I didn't want to deal with under performing knives. Yes, I made a sled; not sure of the link you referred to, but I just ripped some narrow slats that contoured to the slat and glued them to a piece of 1/2" plywood - worked well. Don't worry about the questions. Making plantation shutters was a challenge and good feeling of accomplishment. I got a lot of ideas, suggestions, and help from the 'creek so I'm very willing and anxious to share my experiences.

Bob,

I have the same molder that you have. What size are the knives that you bought? Did Tim carry them or did you have them custom ground? Also; I'll assume you made a sled to carry the slat through the molder? And if so is it like the one in the link?

Hope I didn't ask you too many questions

Ben

Ben Abate
04-12-2011, 2:16 PM
Bob,

Thank you for the reply, I'm very interested on this entire subject. I have not only been watching here but on the Festool site a fellow was making some also. I agree about the knives. I always buy the best performing material that I can. I've found that good knives go a long way. I'll most likely use Cherry when I do get this off the ground. So if I'm thinking correctly and please correct me if I'm off base here. On the first pass for one side the board is square and you are taking it off the top as we know who have used these machines. Then on the second pass you use a sled? That would mean you would move the knives up/adjust the height to account for the sled correct? Or, now that I think about it you could use the sled on both passes couldn't you? but wouldn't the board/slat be positioned differently on the second pass because it's not square any longer and would sit down into the curvature of the sled? Just thinking this through and you'll probably tell me I'm thinking too much. If at some point you can post a few pictures I know I'd appreciate it. I'm sure others are curious also. I'd like to see the sled you built.

On another subject of these if the slats are 3 inches what are the dimesions of the frame that holds the slats?

Again thanks Bob for your help with these questions
Ben

BOB OLINGER
04-12-2011, 4:09 PM
Ben,

I'll try to get some pictures taken, then try to figure out how to include them in a post. Meanwhile, I ran the blanks cut for slats through the moulder without the sled on the first pass. Then I installed the sled and ran the blanks on the other side, adjusting the depth of cut with the goal of getting a nice clean cut slat. It's a bit of trial and error, but I'm sure you can make it work. By the way, if you plan to use cherry to make shutters, they should turn out beautifully!!!!!!!

Neal Clayton
04-12-2011, 4:39 PM
For those of you interested in this sort of thing here's an interesting machine I picked up @ a flat belt millshop that had closed. It cuts round tennons on the end of the louvers for shutters. Basic operation is to run off the louver stock in the moulder or shaper in long lengths. Then it goes to this machine which gets set up with a length stop so that the stock runs through the head from left to right. When you depress the foot pedal the machine engages & rotates the stock cutting two round tennons & cutting the piece on the right to length. Here are some pics:

yeah, i'm pretty envious of that, saw one of those at work on the woodwright on PBS when he was in a window/door shop that all ran on old belt driven machines.

i'm gonna have to build 18 shutters in the next few months and that would make it so much easier to have them be functional.

Gregory Heard
04-12-2011, 4:54 PM
Thanks for the reply Bob. I went there - looks like he makes th knives for the Belsaw but not the counterweights. My unit is a little archaic so I got to have those.

BOB OLINGER
04-13-2011, 8:18 AM
That is an amazing machine!!!!!!

BOB OLINGER
04-13-2011, 8:21 AM
Greg - Give Tim a call. He's a great guy; maybe has what you need even though not on the website. I had some difficulty with my moulding machine one weekend, sent him an email, and he responded on the weekend. Now, that's pretty good service!

Ben Abate
04-13-2011, 5:01 PM
I emailed Tim yesterday and he's on vacation this week. but he did reply. I'll wait til next week to talk with him about the tooling.

Any Pictures yet Bob. I'm not in any hurry I thought I'd ask since I was replying to the above thread.

Ben

John Toigo
04-13-2011, 8:13 PM
Well it's a production machine. If you have a moulder you can run your stock off to whatever length you can handle in your shop - like 20' lengths. Then just run it through the pin cutter & the louvers just drop right off. Probably take longer to drill the holes in the sides for the pins. Of course if you had a multiple head boring machine.......

Ben Abate
04-18-2011, 1:24 PM
Bob,

You did say that you used the 3" cutter in an oval shape from Tim correct? He just emailed me a few profiles to see what I might want and I thought you mentioned that you used the oval. If I may ask, what are the sizes of your frame members if the slats are 3 inches? I have a few jobs to do but I'm sort of waiting to see what all info is out there before I give it a go. I'd like to see your end results or any other pictures you have of the process.

thanks for your help
Ben

BOB OLINGER
04-18-2011, 8:52 PM
Hi Ben,

Sorry, but I'm in Chicago for a few days on business so I can't respond with definite accuracy. However, I'm quite sure the stiles on all the shutters I made are 2" wide. Now, the rails are different width depending on the height of the shutter the taller shutters have wider rails. A couple more things on the width of the rails. First, you should lay out the shutter in height using the slat width - I believe mine over- lapped about 1/4" with the 3" slats. Second, I adjusted the width of the rails once I figured out about how many slats you'd use for the particular size window. Third, stand back and take a look and see if you like your dimensions. For example, if the rails look too wide, you can see if you can narrow them up and add more slats. Determine if you want a middle rail - same process. Take a trip to Lowes (maybe some other borgs have plantation shutters, I went to Lowes). They have several floor displays - take your tape measure and make notes on what you like and don't. Also, I took a few pictures but didn't get them posted yet. I promise to try to post them. Have you seen Norm's CD on making plantation shutters? If not, I suggest to get it. I didn't follow everything he did, but it was a great help. Concerning the knives for the slats, I'll retrieve that info when I get home. Meanwhile, if you want, just ask Tim which one I bought - he should have it in his records. I will have to say that making plantation shutters was a challenge beyond my previous work, but a GREAT feeling of accomplishment. For example, accuracy in drilling the holes in stiles or slat ends shows up quickly if off just a little. I still have an order for a daughter in process - these from poplar as they will be painted (another challenge) -slats are milled, not cut for length; rails and stiles are cut ( at least I think so as this project was started well over a year ago, then my wife put her order as top priority). Anyway, I've learned a lot, including a few tricks, and willing to share all. Again, I'll try to post pictures later this week. Meanwhile, if any other questions, let them fly.

BOB OLINGER
05-27-2011, 11:55 AM
Hi Ben,

Sorry it took so long, but here's a couple pictures of my shutter making. I tried to post more, but it said the files were too big. If anyone can give me some pointers on posting pictures, that would be great.