PDA

View Full Version : ROS needs replacing - What to buy??

Jim Mackell
09-12-2007, 1:43 PM
My 10 year old 5 inch ROS is grinding slowly to a halt. It's been a godsend and I'll give it a good resting place.

I'm an amateur but getting a little better and a little more aggressive in my projects each year. Working mostly with hardwoods now.

Any brand recommendations? 5 inch vs. 6 inch? Thanks in advance for your 3 cents (informed opinions are always worth more!)

Bruce Page
09-12-2007, 2:12 PM
I guess it is all relative to what you want to spend – some will tell you that you need a $300+ Festool. I have been very happy with my much less expensive PC ROS sanders. :rolleyes:

Bill Arnold
09-12-2007, 2:12 PM
Jim,

I've had a PC 333 for many years and it's been a good ROS. A couple of years ago, I added a Makita BO5010KX. While both are good machines, I favor the Makita because it seems to be a bit more comfortable in my hand and might be a tad more aggressive than the PC.

David Weaver
09-12-2007, 2:13 PM
I have the PC barrel sander (97366) - variable speed, 6" with a dust hood on it and a hookup for the shop vac. It works very well, but it's a lot more aggressive than a 5" model. I use it to get to 180 or 220 grit, and then use a non random orbital sander to get to 400 grit, so I can't comment on whether or not it does a good job for super finish. I do know that with a clear gloss finish, it leaves little orbital hooks in the wood's surface at the 180 grit level.

it doubles as a polisher if you get the kit to use it as such, and I think it's about $150 bucks (without the polishing kit) at coastal tool. Not cheap, but nice to have. Because of its power (and because of hand planes), I never have to use a belt sander, and the initial grits (whether they start at 100 or 150) are pretty good to go through.

I like the dust control a lot - it's not as good as Festool probably, but it's nice. Well worth the extra $20 or $30, or whatever the additional cost it is for the dust hood and hose kit. I think the pad might be different, too.

Most people used to 5" sanders don't seem to like the type that mine is - the orbital motion is much wider, and the sander can "walk" on its own sometimes.

Benjamin Dahl
09-12-2007, 2:28 PM
I have the Rigid 6"VS Dual Orbit-Random Sander Model R2610 which I believe to be made by Metabo and identical to the Metabo SXE450 model. In any case, I have been quite happy with it and the dust control is pretty good when hooked to a shop vac. I know some people don't like the Rigid line but I have found this one to be good.
Ben

Brian Penning
09-12-2007, 2:30 PM
I have the 5" Porter Cable and a Ridgid 5" and the one I reach for most often is the Ridgid. Better dustcontrol, less vibration, and better finish.

Kent Fitzgerald
09-12-2007, 3:49 PM
My 10 year old 5 inch ROS is grinding slowly to a halt. It's been a godsend and I'll give it a good resting place.
I have a Bosch ROS of the same era, and I'd be loathe to replace it with anything new. Put in new brushes, bearings if needed, and it should be good for another decade.

Allen Bookout
09-12-2007, 4:10 PM
I have the Ridgid 2610 6" ROS and like it a lot. My understanding is that the model 2610 was made by Metabo but then the model number was changed to 2611 and is made in China for whatever that is worth. If a person wanted the Metabo I see that it is available from several places including Amazon.

Jason White
09-12-2007, 6:57 PM
f e s t o o l

I'm an amateur but getting a little better and a little more aggressive in my projects each year. Working mostly with hardwoods now.

Any brand recommendations? 5 inch vs. 6 inch? Thanks in advance for your 3 cents (informed opinions are always worth more!)

Mike Parzych
09-12-2007, 7:51 PM
The Rigid 5" ROS has an annoying habit of turning itself on if it falls over or is laid down on it's side, since the On push button is so exposed. Otherwise it's a good product for the price. The standard 12' cord is a nice touch.

Bill Arnold
09-12-2007, 8:17 PM
f e s t o o l

Keep in mind that not all of us are as rich as you!

:)

Jim Becker
09-12-2007, 8:42 PM
No matter what you settle for, try to buy the best sander you can afford that has the least vibration and good dust extraction. For me that was Festool, but there are options available that at least go in the right direction. You want low vibration so you can sand longer without hurting your hand and wrist and the need for decent dust extraction is pretty obvious these days of greater awareness of the health hazard that wood dust presents.

Relative to size, both of my Festool sanders are 6". My previous sanders (PC333 series) were 5". I don't miss the smaller units one bit...

glenn bradley
09-12-2007, 10:03 PM
The reviews lead me to the Bosch 1295VS. Some folks here have stated that they like them but they go through brushes too quickly. I've used the pee-wad outta mine and have not experience this (yet). It had the smoothest pattern of those tested and the difference when compared to others I have used attests to this. Better finish in less time but that is just my (limited) experience. Around $60.

P.s. I got the vacuum attachment for about $3 and a small shop vac hos fits right on. I added a switch that powers on the vac when I turn on the sander and it is sweet.

Allen Bookout
09-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by Jason White http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=657643#post657643)
f e s t o o l

I know the feeling Bill.

Gary Keedwell
09-12-2007, 11:09 PM

http://www.free-animations.co.uk/messages/miscellaneous/images/message_146.gifGary K.

Bill Brehme
09-12-2007, 11:57 PM
+1 on the ridgid 5"... if looking affordable (relative to me).

Cary Swoveland
09-13-2007, 1:41 AM
I guess it is all relative to what you want to spend – some will tell you that you need a $300+ Festool. I have been very happy with my much less expensive PC ROS sanders. :rolleyes:

I couldn't agree more. Get the Festool ETS 150/3 or 150/5 6" ROS, for just $260.

Seriously, you can't imagine how good a sander can be until you try one.

More generally, keep in mind that a 6" ROS has a 44% larger surface than that of a 5". I've used both and much prefer the 6"--at least Festool's 6".

Cary

Doug Shepard
09-13-2007, 5:19 AM

Well I sure aint rich and I managed to swing a Festool purchase. It's easy as long as the dog doesn't mind sharing her food for a few weeks.:D

Jason White
09-13-2007, 7:32 AM
He asked for a recommendation and made no mention of price, so I made one.

Festool has a full line of sanders. Some are very expensive, others less so.

Festool makes 2 or 3 "palm" type sanders for around $200. They are bomb-proof.

Oh yeah, and I'm not rich (or even comfortable). I just like high quality tools.

JW

CPeter James
09-13-2007, 12:00 PM
I have a Dewalt ROS, but the one I grab when I want to get the job done is my Dynabrade air powered one. It is much faster and has good dust collection, too. I use Mirka Abranet disks and pads. They last a long time and the mesh helps with the dust collection. The pads have 42 small holes scattered all over the surface. Mirka also makes an air powered ROS and it appears to be similar to the Dynabrade.

CPeter

Allen Bookout
09-13-2007, 12:23 PM
the one I grab when I want to get the job done is my Dynabrade air powered one.

CPeter

Which model CPeter?

Steve Alderman
09-13-2007, 12:43 PM
Another user of the Rigid 6" VS Dual Orbit-Random Sander. I'm quite happy with it.

CPeter James
09-13-2007, 12:55 PM
This is similar to the one that I have.

http://phillytools.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=phillytools&Product_Code=56853&Category_Code=ABD

CPeter

Grant Lasson
09-15-2007, 5:25 PM
My Bosch 5" died last year. I hated to see it go. 3107DVS I think. I was in a hurry on a project and ran down to HD for the Ridgid 5" VS to replace it. In my opinion, it is a step down from the Bosch. I've had it in for repairs once already.

That said, I don't enjoy sanding and don't want to spend much money on it. If possible, I'll use my LN #4, hand scrapers, etc. to avoid the drudgery of sanding. That's where I'm putting my money.

Jeffrey Schronce
09-15-2007, 7:45 PM
The reviews lead me to the Bosch 1295VS. Some folks here have stated that they like them but they go through brushes too quickly. I've used the pee-wad outta mine and have not experience this (yet). It had the smoothest pattern of those tested and the difference when compared to others I have used attests to this. Better finish in less time but that is just my (limited) experience. Around $60.

P.s. I got the vacuum attachment for about $3 and a small shop vac hos fits right on. I added a switch that powers on the vac when I turn on the sander and it is sweet.

For under $100 bucks I highly recommend this option as well. I have 3 Bosch 1295VS with dust attachment. They are connected to Festool Midi vac and perform wonderfully.

Don Bullock
09-15-2007, 8:21 PM
Jim, based on reviews and input here and on other forums I bought the BOSCH 1295DVSK. My budget was rather limited at the time so it fit well into my budget. It's a very good sander and performs as well as the reviews and everyone said it would. With that said, it's already had the variable speed switch replaced under warranty after just a few hours of sanding mostly cherry and oak. When I asked the guy at the repair shop if it would take long his responce was, "No, I always have these switches in stock." That information combined with several posts about the same problem or a failure of the on/off switch tells me that the failure of these switches is too common. Yes, I like the sander and am pleased with the results I get with it, BUT I'm not sure how long it will last. To help I'm trying to hook the sander into some dust collection. I just bought the Oneida Dust Deputy to hook up to my ShopVac. Hooking in the sander isn't as easy to a vacuum as some state. The dust collector attachment is metric and my vacuum hose isn't. The vacuum hose at 2 1/2 inches is also too large. Now that I have the Dust Deputy I still needed to find the right connector so that I can attach it to the 1 1/2 inch hose connector of the Dust Dupity hose I bought. I won't really know until it comes in the mail. Finding the right connectors in stores, at least the ones I have here is impossible. If I had it all to do over I'd buy a Festool with their vacuum. It would been much easier and worth the money. I'll end up doing that when this sander dies.

Jim Kountz
09-15-2007, 9:29 PM
I just picked up a Ridgid 5" variable speed ros yesterday at a cummins tool sale. Its got the nice 12' cord on it, slow start and an excellent case. For $40 it was a great deal. I did a hard maple cutting board for a friend last night and it performed flawlessly. It connects directly to a STANDARD shop vac hose with no other adapters needed. Dust collection was first rate and the vibration was low and tolerable. The variable speed is a nice touch too.

Clay Crocker
09-15-2007, 9:49 PM
Depends on how much you use it, but for me, all I can say is that they will have to pry my Festool ETS 150/3 out of my cold, dead hands before I will give that sucker up for anything else! Just my 2 cents.

Clay

John Thompson
09-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Ridgid 2610 6" made by Metabo in Germany as the 2611 is now made in China. Aggressive and good dust collection attached to a 5 1/2 HP Shop Vac with a 1 1/2" hose.

PC 333 5" that has performed for 5 years and should have retired long ago. Loaned to a young lady at work (reluctantly but she was kind of struggling as a single mom) to do some sanding as she stated. What she didn't state was she was using it on plaster repair om sheet rock where she didn't scrape it flush.

It came back caked in sheet rock dust inside and out. I expected to retire it when I found out, but a few shots of from the air gun.. relace the pad and she's still cooking with butane. Good dust collection from same Shop Vac.

If there is a next sander, the Dynabride hooked to air mentioned may get the call as I have seen them and they get it done quickly and efficiently.

Sarge..

Joe Spear
09-15-2007, 11:04 PM
Bosch, Metabo, or Festool (if you want a great sander and have money).

Gary Keedwell
09-15-2007, 11:33 PM
Depends on how much you use it, but for me, all I can say is that they will have to pry my Festool ETS 150/3 out of my cold, dead hands before I will give that sucker up for anything else! Just my 2 cents.

Clay
http://sitelife.woodmagazine.com/ver1.0/Content/images/store/0/2/809b3466-60eb-4c60-b29b-2d5e8ddc9a92.Medium.gifGary K.

Jim Mackell
09-17-2007, 8:25 AM
Some very interesting and thought provoking opinions. Thanks for the input, I've printed this out and put it in my Christmas folder.