PDA

View Full Version : forestry classes in NW PA?

Ryan Hovis
09-12-2007, 11:35 AM
I do a lot of walking around the woods looking for trees to fell, it'd be cool if I actually knew what I was doing :confused:

Anyone know of any sort of adult education class offered in Northwestern PA? My old boss at the woodshop has a degree from Penn State, but that's quite a drive. Not exactly something offered at the local career center.

BTW I did manage to find a maple with a trunk at least 4' wide at the base, splits into 5 massive trunks, 110' tall easily, leaves are so high up I can't tell if it's a sugar maple or not, any tips? If it's a sugar maple I'll have the baddest coffee table ever made after it's sawn and dried.

David G Baker
09-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Ryan,
The only way I can tell the difference in maple is the leaf has 5 points. It is getting close to Fall and the leaves will be dropping soon. Maybe someone else on SMC can give you better information.

Aaron Kline
09-13-2007, 8:41 PM
Ryan,
Check out the PA SFI---Pennsylvania Sustainable Forestry Initiative. I believe the site is sfiofpa.org They have one day courses throughout Pennsylvania. I went to a couple of their courses, logging safety and environmental logging.
Aaron