PDA

View Full Version : New Translucent Corian Laser Owners Take Heed

Keith Outten
09-12-2007, 9:05 AM
Here is a picture of the new Glacier Ice translucent Corian color. In the picture the 1/4" is on th left and the 1/2" is on the right side. The back light from my flashlight was diluted by the camera flash otherwise you would get a better idea of how much light transmission these new colors are capable of, the effect is just awesome.

Arctic Ice is also a new translucent color that has a slight speckle in it that back lights well.

I just placed an order for a sheet of 1/4" Glacier Ice, I'm thinking it will be awesome for laser engraving, routing and dye-sublimation projects that can be back lit for some very nice effects.

Something that is exciting for laser owners, I expect that the new translucent white colors will make laser engraved lithophanes the highest quality on the market requiring less engraving time and less power to produce. Check out this thread for more information about lithophanes and post number 13, Mike Nulls laser engraved lithophane. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=56128&highlight=lithophanes

I have a new thread in the Sign Forum with Dupont contact information (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=65214) that will help any sign company get certified to purchase Corian from your local distributor.

Scott Shepherd
09-12-2007, 9:09 AM
Very cool stuff Keith. Should be a very nice product for signs. Thanks for sharing this info with us.

ken gibbs
01-24-2008, 8:33 AM
Keith,

Where are you located?

KEN GIBBS

Doug Bergstrom
01-24-2008, 8:38 AM
Keith

We used the contact information for Corian. Within a week we had a sales rep here and we are now an authorized Corian dealer. Let me know how the translucent works out. I have several ideas for that product but have not had enough time to do any testing.
Thanks
Doug

Keith Outten
01-24-2008, 10:15 AM
Ken,

I am in Gloucester County, in the eastern side of Virginia just a stones throw from the battlefields in historic Yorktown. Our area used to be known as one of "The Colonies" :)

Doug,

Dupont shipped me a 30" square piece of the new Arctic Ice translucent Corian for testing purposes. I am working on a few dye-sub projects for this piece when I have the time but lately is has been real hectic here.

I'm glad Dupont was quick to get you in their system and certified, they really are a great bunch of folks. Availability of the new translucent Corian colors is sometime in the second quarter of 2008 I think. I will be glad to be able to purchase some of the Glacier Ice for another project I have in mind.

Pictures will be forthcoming :)

Rob Bosworth
01-24-2008, 11:20 AM
Keith, do you do your dye subbing directly onto the corian?

Marc Myer
01-24-2008, 11:55 AM
From the other thread linked, it was opined that 3D lasering won't work for lithophanes.
Please let us know when you can get some testing done with the laser!
Inquiring minds want to know, and so do I :0)