PDA

View Full Version : My introduction

Michael Ballent
01-31-2004, 2:52 AM
I have been surfing around on this forum for some time after finding it through Jim Becker's WWW site. I have been woodworking now for about 3 years now and am still learning something new all the time. By day I am a computer geek, and unfortunately do not get as much time for WW as I would like :(. I live in the Valley of the Sun Stroke (Phoenix, AZ) and cannot wait for the WW show that is finally coming to town next weekend.

Below are some of the things that I have made. I created the new tabletop for my parent's dining room. It is made of 8/4 red oak with bread board ends (for the newbies that have question of what a bread board end is ;) ). It replaced the original table top that was too small for my mother's liking. It was a chore to match the stain of the original furniture. I also made the candlestick holders that are on the table, they are 4 1/4" diameter red oak finished with thinned poly, and the step stool is a revised version of the one that I made in shop class way back when (one semester vs 3 nights with all the power tools :D ) It is made of air dried walnut.

I look forward to future posts and helping out as many as I can. I have noticed that I still have a long way to go before I can catch up to the wonderful stuff you all have created.

Be Safe!
Michael
Glendale, AZ

Dick Parr
01-31-2004, 6:56 AM
Vern Nice Work Michael! Welcome to the SMC.

Glenn Clabo
01-31-2004, 7:05 AM
Welcome to the Creek Michael! Nice stuff...but you may want to take the plastic off the candles before you light em though. ;-)

Jim Becker
01-31-2004, 8:11 AM
Good to see you here, Michael! Your work is outstanding...I really like those spiral candle holders and the stool. Welcome!

Mark Singer
01-31-2004, 8:28 AM
Welcome Michael!
Great stuff...looking forwrd to your new posts!

Tyler Howell
01-31-2004, 8:44 AM
Welcome!

Jim brings a lot of good stuff to this sight, and looks like he has done it again.
Very nice work for a noobee. We have rules about posting fine projects when some of us old wood butchers are still doing paste and Popsicle sticks.:D

Good to have you in the Creek. There are some real fine people here.

Todd Burch
01-31-2004, 9:19 AM
Welcome Michael!

But I've been wondering... what on the EARTH were you doing on Jim Becker's site? :)

Jason Tuinstra
01-31-2004, 10:06 AM
Welcome! Thanks for sharing some pictures of your work. They all look very nice. Now go enjoy some sun for me. This morning it was a brisk 10 below when I woke up.

Michael Ballent
01-31-2004, 3:14 PM
Good to see you here, Michael! Your work is outstanding...I really like those spiral candle holders and the stool. Welcome!

Thanks for the complement. There is still so much to learn in WW and tools to buy :D

-Michael

Michael Ballent
01-31-2004, 3:17 PM
Welcome Michael!
Great stuff...looking forwrd to your new posts!

Thanks, but my stuff pales in comparison to the work I have seen from you. I love the mixed materials you bring to the table ;). I do hope to start bringing in some metal into the spiral work I have been doing.

-Michael

Michael Ballent
01-31-2004, 3:21 PM
Welcome Michael!

But I've been wondering... what on the EARTH were you doing on Jim Becker's site? :)

I wanted to see if he had posted anything on his new toys he has recently acquired. I have always liked his reviews, very honest.

Be Safe!
Michael
Glendale, AZ

Bob Lasley
01-31-2004, 7:24 PM
Welcome Michael,

You do very nice work. I too like the spiral candle holders. Looking forward to seeing more.

Bob

John Miliunas
01-31-2004, 9:47 PM
Nice to have you at the Creek, Michael! And, you bring some nice work with you right off the bat. Cool! This too, is a "cool" place to hang. Lots to learn and, by the looks of it, you should have a nice time handing out pointers, as well! Stop often and stay long, though I sure do wish you could bring some of that nice warm weather up our way! Brrrrrrr.....It's cold out there! :cool:

Robert Goodwin
02-02-2004, 9:52 AM
Great to see another Arizona Creeker. But out here we do not have creeks so we just have to visualuize:). I am also a computer geek that spends far too much time staring at my monitors and not enough time in the sauna/garage/shop. Just finished up with a PDR this last week, so I'm hoping to take Friday off and go to the show.

Welcome,
Rob

Kurt Aebi
02-02-2004, 1:34 PM
Excellent work.

Welcome to the Creek!

Chris Padilla
02-02-2004, 4:43 PM
Thanks for the complement. There is still so much to learn in WW and tools to buy :D

-Michael

Tools, eh? I got a bad case of Festoolitis from this place and the only ointment that works is green but in the end, it clears up and I am a happy camper! :D

Welcome to SMC!